Pale Moon for Raspberry Pi (and friends) Topic is solved

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
dimag0g

Pale Moon for Raspberry Pi (and friends)

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-11-03, 06:57

Hello,

So I basically took ptitSeb's diff for OpenPandora and have built PaleMoon on my Banana Pi.

The file you should use to install PaleMoon is palemoon-setup.sh, which basically borrows the installation commands from PaleMoon manual installation page. The script automatically picks the right build based on your architecture: armv6 for RPi1 and armv7 for RPi2/Banana/Orange Pi & Odroid. I used Debian Wheezy libs for both builds, so I wouldn't expect them to work on Jessie or a different distribution (off-topic: there is a problem which prevents me from using Jessie, I'm unlikely to upgrade until that's solved). Also I don't have an RPi, so I didn't test armv6 build at all.

Any feedback (especially regarding armv6 build) is much appreciated.
Last edited by dimag0g on 2015-11-09, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PaleMoon for Raspberry Pi (and friends)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-03, 16:46

Interesting endeavor! :)

I can host the binaries for you on ftp and/or http easily enough. PM me if you're interested.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-11-09, 23:19

I have created a small webpage at http://raspi.palemoon.org/. Hopefully the instructions are clear enough.

I'll drop a line on Banana Pi forum about this PaleMoon build.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-10, 00:01

Thanks - looks good, although I did go in to change the improper use of "PaleMoon" to "Pale Moon".
Please also add a little paragraph that this is a contributed third-party build and point them to whatever thread you'll be using for feedback/support/announcements.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-11-10, 07:09

OK, I will update the page this evening.

A small question: is it possible to get HTTPS working? It would be great if people could trust the connection and just run things like:

curl -sSL https://raspi.palemoon.org/palemoon-setup.sh | sudo sh

But of course running that with plain HTTP is totally insecure.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-10, 18:23

It's not possible to have https at the moment, because the web server I'm using on that server is very basic and doesn't support https. I can see later on if I can put nginx on it and get a cert for it.

I'm not sure if curl gives you the certification details when you issue that command, but if not, then it is not secure either because it could be served by anyone ;)

EDIT: Actually... it's not possible unless I host the files elsewhere. That server already uses https for secure webmail so the port is in use.
People will just have to get the script, verify it is OK, and then run it with sudo.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2015-11-10, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No https there

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-11-13, 06:34

OK, nevermind HTTPS (I've already seen that webmail interface myself).

Anyway, I have updated the webpage, the setup script, and also the armv7 build (applied more optimization).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-13, 12:33

dimag0g wrote:OK, nevermind HTTPS (I've already seen that webmail interface myself).

Anyway, I have updated the webpage, the setup script, and also the armv7 build (applied more optimization).
I've worked around the issue, you should now have https.
NOTE: Please grab the current html from the server for future edits so it will no longer cross-connect to linux.palemoon.org to get graphics.

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-11-25, 20:58

FYI, I'm building the branch 25.8 right now. I still struggle to get h264 and webGL working, but since I expect version 25.8 to be around for a while, I think I'll post an announcement on RPi forum once I finish armv6 build.

pirindolo

PaleMoon on Raspberry Pi

Unread post by pirindolo » 2015-12-22, 03:22

I have a RaspberryPi 1 B+ with Berryboot.
On Raspbian that i guess is up to date I installed Pale Moon following the instructions on raspi.palemoon.org
First I installed gnash. And then I copied the command line.
Everything looked fine, no errors, the script showed a message that Huspel dictionaries will be used and also flash.
When I clicked on the startup menu nothing happened. Then I tried from the terminal and I got a segmentation fault error. Then I preceded the command with sudo and got nothing, i.e. not the error neither Pale Moon browser.
I use a dongle to connect to my WiFi. Everything works but Pale Moon does not.
Then to be sure I uninstalled everything and manually decompress Pale Moon on /opt/palemoon to have the same behavior as before.
I wonder what is the issue.
Googling I noticed that segmentation faults are not uncommun and sometimes related to java. But I got no results for Pale Moon on RaspberryPi.
So, here I am looking for answers...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon for Raspberry Pi (and friends)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-23, 12:32

A "segmentation fault" just means that the application has crashed. It may help if you actually post the technical details of the crash.

dimag0g

Re: PaleMoon on Raspberry Pi

Unread post by dimag0g » 2015-12-29, 18:21

pirindolo wrote:I have a RaspberryPi 1 B+ with Berryboot.

When I clicked on the startup menu nothing happened. Then I tried from the terminal and I got a segmentation fault error.
I don't use Berryboot and I have never tried it. The crash could be caused by incompatible libraries. Could you provide more details?

Don't expect me to do anything this week, I'm skiing in the Alps and have no Internet at the appartment I'm renting. Also, I'm too tired to code.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-29, 18:23

dimag0g wrote:Don't expect me to do anything this week, I'm skiing in the Alps and have no Internet at the appartment I'm renting. Also, I'm too tired to code.
C'mon, it's the holidays -- enjoy your break! (and please don't make that a literal break, skiing and all - do be careful!)

dimag0g

Re: PaleMoon on Raspberry Pi

Unread post by dimag0g » 2016-01-03, 17:13

A quick follow-up:
pirindolo wrote: On Raspbian that i guess is up to date I installed Pale Moon following the instructions on raspi.palemoon.org
I have checked Raspbian FAQ and it seems to be incompatible with Debian armhf:
Debian armhf packages should be compatible with Raspbian packages but a system with such a mixture WILL NOT RUN ON THE PI. Furthermore there may be corner cases where libraries build slightly differently on Raspbian. Such mixed systems can be useful for development (they were used heavily in the process of creating Raspbian) but are not recommended for general use.
I guess I will have to debug Pale Moon on Raspbian to get it working. The problem is that I don't have a Raspbian installation at the moment, so this may take a while. I'm downloading a Raspbian image right now.

timofonic

Unread post by timofonic » 2016-01-15, 07:37

I have a BeagleBoard Black that's planned to be used as micro-portable server (long crazy idea that involves electroics design too, I hope to do it someday).

But I would like to try this!

Did you made some code changes and optimizations? Maybe other platforms could enjoy them too :D

I think the FOSS software that runs natively on more platforms, the better.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » 2016-06-27, 17:19

Hello Palemoon Gurus, members and guests!

I came to mention that ARMV7 Build works on Jessie just fine, but I'm having this problem and letting you know this can help the both of us and anyone else who LOVES palemoon. I use chrome on ARM because I have to. Not that chrome is not fast, good or does not do what I want (only 1 thing it does not that Firefox based browsers can do) but Palemoon has been my favourite ever since it came out but I jumped on the ARM bandwagon and left intel/amd in the dust.

Problem is, it does load libEGL and so on but here's what it says :

Code: Select all

Attempting load of libEGL.so
Attempting InitExtensions on libEGL.so
Attempting init speical extensions of libEGL.so
Failed to CreatePixmapSurface!config is null
Error with GLContextEGL::CreateEGLPixmapOffscreenContext...
Tested with Xu3 Debian Jessie, Great work to see this has progress. I tried multiple times in the past to compile PaleMoon but I did not have anything big enough to handle both PaleMoon and Firefox. Now that I do have the space, I was not able to compile it (WHY??? I don't know and I don't remember :P)
Thanks! I'm eager to see what's next from PaleMoon!

stefanv

Unread post by stefanv » 2016-09-28, 16:56

I just wanted to say hello, and thanks for the Raspberry Pi build. I just installed Pale Moon on a Pi 3B running Jesse, and it's working fine. Looking forward to updates! Let me know if there's any way I can help.

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2016-10-06, 05:24

I've been giving Ubuntu-Mate a try on my Rpi3 and was delighted to find a build of my favorite browser available to me for this processor. Unfortunately I seem to have a bug somewhere...

Any idea why I'm missing the back, reload, and home button icons? The buttons are there they just aren't themed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-06, 10:24

bornagainpenguin wrote:I've been giving Ubuntu-Mate a try on my Rpi3 and was delighted to find a build of my favorite browser available to me for this processor. Unfortunately I seem to have a bug somewhere...
Any idea why I'm missing the back, reload, and home button icons? The buttons are there they just aren't themed.
Actually, it looks like you're missing all image support. No bitmap images are drawn at all in the application.
As to why, no clue - some RasPi person will have to help :)

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2016-10-09, 18:56

Moonchild wrote:Actually, it looks like you're missing all image support. No bitmap images are drawn at all in the application.
As to why, no clue - some RasPi person will have to help :)
Thanks for the reply.