Pale Moon for Raspberry Pi (and friends)

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.

Moderator: satrow

haggster

Re: Pale Moon for Raspberry Pi (and friends)

Postby haggster » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 14:23

Hi! I don't know if you're still following this thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm using your build on my ARM Chromebook via crouton now and everything was working flawlessly. I used the automatic installation script. From what I remember when I was using Firefox on the same machine, I have to say that your Palemoon build is leagues above that, performance-wise.

It's Pale Moon 26.1.1 BTW.

Looking forward to new versions in case you get to compile some (but I know how annoying that can be... I've once contributed a VeraCrypt armv7 build (built on this same Chromebook) and so far I've never managed to provide an updated build - and that was 2yrs ago now :)).

Anyway, happy to have this! Kudos!

haggster

Postby haggster » Wed, 21 Dec 2016, 17:23

dimag0g: in case you're still around - from what you wrote, you were not cross compiling this, but you built this directly on the armv7 target architecture, right? I assume you were using an external HDD with sufficient space to compile the whole thing?

Anyway, I was just wondering whether it'd be possible that you could attach the .mozconfig which you were using here and maybe provide the steps required for successfully compiling this on ARM. I've seen the Github repo, but I assume that there are some other details that are necessary to compile this. If the instructions are available, everyone could compile their own version and we could make sure that we have more recent releases available. I think one of the most important aspects would be to have "HTML5 video" support, since I've e.g. tried out both, gnash and lightspark, and also mozilla's flash-conversion (forgot the name) addon, but none are able to play any youtube videos. So getting those codecs to run should be a priority.

If anyone else is interested in getting working armv7 builds, then just let me know. I've got enough armv7 hardware so that cross compiling won't be necessary (the only issue is that compiling will take ages). So if we have enough people who want this, we could coordinate this and make sure that there will be regular ARM releases of recent Palemoon versions.

freefrog

Postby freefrog » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 06:47

Anyone know what happened to the RasPi page?

Nigaikaze
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Nigaikaze » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 12:50

freefrog wrote:Anyone know what happened to the RasPi page?

This happened:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15250&p=110167&hilit=raspberry+pi#p110167

haggster

Postby haggster » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 01:39

And exactly that could've been avoided, if we had exact instructions available on what needs to be patched in order to get working ARM builds.

Typing this from an obsolete 26.1.1 ARM build.

It's so much faster than FF on the same machine, it's basically in a different league. So IMO it's really a pity that the know-how required to create those builds is lost.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 09:56

That's the problem with people who start these endeavors not documenting what they have done before they vanish.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

Return to “Contributed 3rd Party Builds”