Pale Moon SSE

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pale Moon SSE

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-27, 02:23

What are your plans for the SSE build Post-Tycho? Also, are you going to build 26.5?

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-09-27, 03:09

I haven't gotten a working build of Tycho yet, and I'm not focused on it at the moment. Whatever happens with v27, I'll make an announcement when the time comes, probably around the first release.

I plan to follow through on the v26 line until it ends.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-29, 21:18

Mercury, I'd suggest you post a guide someday on how to turn the original code into SSE build, for people to learn from your experience.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-29, 21:47

Such a guide would be fruitless as the applicable code will be deprecated.

HOWEVER, pursuant to Section 3.2 paragraph 'a' of the Mozilla Public License version 2.0, I request disclosure of any and all modifications of covered code currently being made available in executable form.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-09-29, 23:07

Lorien wrote:Mercury, I'd suggest you post a guide someday on how to turn the original code into SSE build, for people to learn from your experience.
There are one or two gotchas in making a proper .mozconfig file to build with, but the v24-v26 line of Pale Moon will build just fine with no changes to the source code.
What you're asking for essentially already exists, though I suppose I could add the few tweaks I've made since I made that post.
Matt A Tobin wrote:HOWEVER, pursuant to Section 3.2 paragraph 'a' of the Mozilla Public License version 2.0, I request disclosure of any and all modifications of covered code currently being made available in executable form.
I've already said that I build from official source. The only change I make from the official source is the About info string (which I could argue falls under a principle of de minimis). I don't even have a patch file for this change; I simply do it by hand. However, I'll generate one and provide it in a short while, as I don't have access to the build environment at the moment. The rest of the source for the latest release (v26.4.1.SSE) is simply this.

ETA: The patch:
pm-sse.patch
(803 Bytes) Downloaded 67 times
EATA: My .mozconfig:

Code: Select all

export CL="-O2 -arch:SSE"
export VS90COMNTOOLS=$VS110COMNTOOLS
export WIN32_REDIST_DIR=$VCINSTALLDIR/redist/x86/Microsoft.VC110.CRT
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/outx86
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -GL -GS- -fp:precise -Qfast_transcendentals -Qpar -arch:SSE"
ac_add_options --with-distribution-id=PaleMoon
ac_add_options --disable-update-packaging
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=omni
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-jsd

ac_add_options --disable-debug-symbols
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-strip-libs
Last edited by Mercury on 2016-09-30, 02:55, edited 2 times in total.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 00:28

Matt A Tobin wrote:Such a guide would be fruitless as the applicable code will be deprecated.
In fact, he may lose his interest and leave at any moment, despite his saying. Look at all the builds abandoned here.
In such a case, it'd be easier for enthusiastic someone to pick up where he left.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-30, 00:52

Lorien wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Such a guide would be fruitless as the applicable code will be deprecated.
In fact, he may lose his interest and leave at any moment, despite his saying. Look at all the builds abandoned here.
In such a case, it'd be easier for enthusiastic someone to pick up where he left.
I'd like to have a little more faith in people than what you're displaying here. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-30, 01:03

Thank you Mercury.
Moonchild wrote:
Lorien wrote:
I'd like to have a little more faith in people than what you're displaying here. :)
I agree. It is unfair to assume that will happen as if it was a fact. I have faith that Mercury will live up to what he has said. Even if something were to happen one should not discount the contribution made. Both Linux and Mac builds have been passed through multiple people during the growing pains of getting them up and running. But even with that we should remain thankful for people like access2godzilla and BitVapor for setting much ground work for us despite them having to move on.

Let us not forget Travis and sugis who now do the Linux and Mac versions and development today I for sure don't expect them to just up and quit as you describe. Frankly, there is also my self who did PM4XP (originally PM4XP64) sure, I am obviously here but as a fellow member of the 3rd party contributed builder alumni, I kind of resent that implication on a personal level. Not everyone can drop everything and provide you with a special snowflake build at the drop of a hat indefinitely and unlike me.. Most people have actual lives. Also, at no point did PM4XP just up and vanish and it was basically a modified rebuild.

ANYWAY..

Looking at the changes made for the SSE build.. All you would have to do to replicate a build such as his is use what is in about:buildconfig.

However, if this is wanting to continue for Tycho much more significant modifications might be needed. Also, Tycho won't have an Atom branch because there is no longer any need since builds produced show no real significant advantage as they do now.

As for SSE .. It is not clear if generating SSE only instructions is even possible as-is since it has never been our aim to provide or account for ancient hardware and platforms. Would be interesting to find out though. Of course to target Windows XP this is not supported at all on Tycho so that is out completely without significant development to restore. In any event, I seriously doubt there is much demand for SSE instruction set code on NT 6+.

The ugly truth is builds such as this are losing relevance in the grand scheme of things. Atom builds, SSE builds, AVX builds, Reduced functionality builds.. They are all on borrowed time really.

Now platform builds like an arm desktop build or various builds made for the dozens of linux flavors and continued integration of Pale Moon for Linux (our generic build) and the addition of Pale Moon for Mac these builds are of great interest to the furtherance of the project.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 01:48

Moonchild wrote:
Lorien wrote:
Ahaha, sorry, Moonchild, but being a woman, life taught me quite the opposite. :lol:

Anyway, at zero hour, it seems like Seamonkey or K-Meleon's gonna be my last SSE retreat.
Or at least I HOPE so. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-30, 02:10

Lorien wrote:[...] but being a woman, life taught me quite the opposite. :lol:
Off-topic:
What does gender have to do with anything? Stereotypes, true or false, are NOT valid excuses and make for very poor explanations.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 03:01

It was merely a bad joke, Matt. ;)
very poor explanations
What do I need to explain?
I thought you explained everything yourself in your quite a long post already.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-09-30, 12:26

I am wondering if this build would work well on my laptop which I am currently using PM Atom/XP.
I have a Dell Latitude D600 with a Pentium M processor and running XP.
Thanks for your help.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 15:39

If these are your specs, then it's SSE2 only, I'm afraid.

Dell D600 || CPU: Intel Pentium M (Banias) 1.4GHz (SSE2 only)
RAM: 2x512MB Viking || HD: Fujitsu PATA 30GB
DVD: NEC ND-6650A || Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility (callisto 003)
Last edited by Lorien on 2016-10-03, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-09-30, 16:11

greyowl: I don't think there would be any improvement. Running PM Atom/XP is fine for your system.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 16:45

Mercury, so this build supports not only SSE, but SSE2 too, correct?
What else does it support?
Last edited by Lorien on 2016-10-03, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-09-30, 17:18

Lorien: I think there's a bit of confusion. This build requires SSE. It will happily run on any CPU which supports SSE — which is pretty much any desktop or laptop-grade CPU made in the past 15 years. Any CPU which supports SSE2 will support SSE also.

PM mainline and PM Atom/WinXP require SSE2. This makes them theoretically perform better, but makes them incompatible with certain old CPUs that don't support SSE2, only SSE.

You can run my build on any modern computer just fine. There's just no point — you'll be taking a performance hit to have compatibility with CPUs you don't have.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-09-30, 18:02

Thanks for the explanation and clarification.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-09-30, 18:12

Yes, thank you for clarifying this, and keep up the good work! :)
Last edited by Lorien on 2016-10-03, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury

v26.5.0.SSE released

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-10-01, 19:56

Version 26.5.0.SSE Available Here

Release Note:
I removed the "-Qpar" compiler option. As this optimization is intended for multi-core CPUs, and nearly everyone running the SSE build is using a single-core CPU, this should have either no performance impact or a slightly positive performance impact. It also removes a dependency on VCOMP110.DLL. Thanks go to Moonchild for setting me on the right path.

Please report any instability or other bugs that appear to be regressions from v26.4.1.SSE.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-02, 10:42

Mercury, thank you!

Just one question.
Is it due to poor compability with SSE specifics that Adblock Latitude continues to load for some time after the browser and other add-ons already loaded, or is it a feature of itself (I have 7 MB filter list)?