Pale Moon SSE

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon SSE

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-02, 12:30

ABL 3.0.* uses "delayed-load" to prevent browser startup delays so it's by design in that version. I believe 3.5 doesn't suffer from these delays with it being an overlay extension, and as such loads synchronously on browser startup. Tobin can no doubt explain better.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-02, 15:00

Tobin, where are you?
Please, explain to us everything! :)

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-10-02, 20:38

Lorien wrote:Is it due to poor compability with SSE specifics that Adblock Latitude continues to load for some time after the browser and other add-ons already loaded, or is it a feature of itself (I have 7 MB filter list)?
Unfortunately I can't answer this, as I don't use ABL.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-03, 01:45

What do you use then? Is it more performance friendly?
Also, no delay problem with ABL 3.5 indeed.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-03, 01:50

Moonchild wrote:ABL 3.0.* uses "delayed-load" to prevent browser startup delays
Where's the logic here?
I cannot start browsing until it fully loads anyway, for both security and performance reasons.
Or was it solely for the abstract scores in browser tests?

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2016-10-03, 13:25

Thanks Mercury & PM team, great job as always! :thumbup:
Lorien wrote:What do you use then? Is it more performance friendly?
If you want more performance friendly approach you could try using your altered HOSTS file and block ads and malware domains system-wide.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-fAxAqDX4

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-03, 13:28

DO NOT DO THIS.. Abusing HOSTS will actually slow things down and can additionally confuse dns aware applications.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-03, 14:20

Sorry, Tobin, but I'm afraid I'm already doing this for many years now :)
Moreover, I'm using HOSTS file, merged by me from several ones with HostsXpert tool.
Also, could you please elaborate on my comment from Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 am?

Alt+F4, thank you for the advice, I'd sonsider merging in yours too. :)
Off-topic:
But, I must say, there are a few sites in such lists which are not really malicious, like www(dot)liveinternet(dot)ru, and it's sometimes hard to figure out whether they are down or blocked.

And could you guys please clarify if it's possible to block some of my local network IPs, including router's one, in HOSTS file?
I tried and it didn't work out for some reason.

P.S.
Alt+F4, if "someonewhocares" is your site, could you possibly remove the word "suck" from the headline, it's blocked in search results by my filters.

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2016-10-03, 15:35

@Lorien

You're most welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance. Just one thing, maybe it would be easier for you if you stopped merging the lists manually and just used one big unified list. :)

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
Off-topic:
With all ads and malware blocking software come the false positives from time to time. That's why it's important to keep your lists up-to-date and tell the author about potential false positives so she/he could exclude them.

As far as I know - and I may be wrong - IPs cannot be blocked via HOSTS file. You can do it, though, with your firewall.

It's not my site, I'm just a happy user. :) Den Pollock is the author, please do contact him:

http://someonewhocares.org/
Off-topic:
Now off to celebrate, Linux Kernel 4.8 is out! :clap:

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-03, 20:28

Off-topic:
Alt+F4, that's a trove you showed me there @ Github, thank you! :)
Mercury, please forgive us for all the off-topic in your thread!

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2016-10-05, 08:51

Off-topic:
Lorien, you're welcome! And you're absolutely right, we have hijacked this thread enough already. Sincere apologies to all concerned.

Jaro89

Unread post by Jaro89 » 2016-10-07, 11:06

Hi, first of all thanks for supporting ancient hardware :)

I have one request - can you provide also builds for linux?

I have pentium III 1,13 ghz and lubuntu is working much smoother than xp. It's also still very well supported and safe. But there are no modern, actual browsers that will run on ubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu without sse (except seamonkey).

I'll be very grateful, and I think not only me :)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-10-08, 04:18

Jaro89 wrote:Hi, first of all thanks for supporting ancient hardware :)

I have one request - can you provide also builds for linux?

I have pentium III 1,13 ghz and lubuntu is working much smoother than xp. It's also still very well supported and safe. But there are no modern, actual browsers that will run on ubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu without sse (except seamonkey).

I'll be very grateful, and I think not only me :)
I think you mean "without sse2". I know it sounds picky, but it is a very important distinction. . According to https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9. ... 64-Options Pentium 3 supports MMX and SSE instruction sets. If Mercury doesn't have linux build tools, I can try, assuming that Pale Moon will build for that environment. In that case we should probably start a separate "Pale Moon SSE for Linux" thread.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-10-08, 07:57

Walter Dnes wrote:[…] we should probably start a separate "Pale Moon SSE for Linux" thread.
I might be interested in this too, at some point.

Jaro89

Unread post by Jaro89 » 2016-10-08, 12:45

Yeah, of course I meant sse2, sorry, that was just typo :)

I will be really very grateful if that build will be made. I think every user that have linux and pentium III or athlon XP would be :)

Thanks for giving me hope, I was worried that I will have to use chrome 33 from middle of 2014 :/

Sorry for bad english :)

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-08, 14:41

Walter Dnes, if you want to make a new SSE build, then don't hesitate and just do it already, before the weekend's over.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-10-08, 15:00

Jaro89 wrote:I have one request - can you provide also builds for linux?
Unfortunately, that would involve time I don't have to dedicate to this project. I won't go into details, but I'm dealing with some personal stuff in life and PM builds are not a priority right now. I'll continue with v26 SSE Windows builds as long as they come out. I can't commit to anything else.

Jaro89

Unread post by Jaro89 » 2016-10-08, 16:27

Mercury wrote:
Jaro89 wrote:I have one request - can you provide also builds for linux?
Unfortunately, that would involve time I don't have to dedicate to this project. I won't go into details, but I'm dealing with some personal stuff in life and PM builds are not a priority right now. I'll continue with v26 SSE Windows builds as long as they come out. I can't commit to anything else.
Oh, I see, that's unfortunate. But maybe Walter Dnes will make it, that'll be great.

Lorien

Unread post by Lorien » 2016-10-17, 17:24

Mercury, so what do you use with your PM SSE instead of ABL, and why?

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-10-17, 21:01

Lorien wrote:Mercury, so what do you use with your PM SSE instead of ABL, and why?
I use noscript, which blocks a lot of ads. However, that's not its intended purpose - just a side-effect consequent to most ads nowadays being served through scripts - and I don't have a dedicated ad-blocker, so "nothing" would also be an acceptable answer.