Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.

Moderator: satrow

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Postby trava90 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 am

sindi wrote:I changed webm to TRUE and restarted and still have only 360p/auto.
Can I add the missing lines in about:config ?

No, adding them will not do anything. It is strongly recommended that you reset the media prefs to their default values, particularly the one for WebM.

Firefox and SeaMonkey's media backends are vastly different than Pale Moon's currently is. Just because something "works in Firefox" does not mean it will in Pale Moon (and in fact in many cases can make things worse).

@sindi do you have FFmpeg (and specifically the libavcodec component) installed? If so, what version is it?

sindi
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby sindi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

I have libav codec 52.72.2 in Lucid Puppy (Lupu) and possibly newer in Tahr puppy.
I did not install ffmpeg but lupu has it. Do FF or Seamonkey use these?

I only changed webm to true on your advice. It did not help (or hurt).

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Postby trava90 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:31 am

sindi wrote:I have libav codec 52.72.2 in Lucid Puppy (Lupu) and possibly newer in Tahr puppy.

Try setting the "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" pref to "true in about:config.

sindi wrote:I did not install ffmpeg but lupu has it. Do FF or Seamonkey use these?

Yes they do, but again, their media backends are vastly different than Pale Moon's.

sindi wrote:I only changed webm to true on your advice. It did not help (or hurt).

I never recommended WebM be enabled. There are issues with it and it is recommended that you restore it to the default value.

sindi
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby sindi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Setting media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete to TRUE fixed the problem!!! I will inform the puppy linux forum.

Could this be made the default setting for linux palemoon at least in the SSE version, which you compile with older libraries to work with puppy linuxes?
Lupu (2010) and even Tahr (2014-ubuntu-based) had the problem - libavcodec too old.

Is there some very good reason to try to update libavcodec in puppy linux?
Lupu has libavcodec 53.8.0 symlinked to libavcodec.so.
It also has 52 (not used) maybe left over from an update.

My 1GHz Inspiron 8100 displays Youtube in Palemoon at 144p using 56% of cpu.
It uses 92% (plus some usage by X etc) at 240p and is jerky and out of sync, and stops once in a while.

First time I have been able to watch Youtube from a browser on this computer.
240p will now be watchable on 2003 laptops with too little RAM for Seamonkey.

Youtube Auto is 480p on this computer and 360p on a faster computer. Not reality-based.

Many thanks, as always.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Version 27.6.1 is available for downloading. This is a minor bugfix update. The release notes for this version are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.6.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 am

Version 27.6.2 is available for downloading. This is a security and minor bugfix update to the browser. The release notes for this version are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.6.2SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.

Return to “Contributed 3rd Party Builds”