BLOG: Mozilla to deprecate... itself, really.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: BLOG: Mozilla to deprecate... itself, really.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-14, 17:27

So, a little roundup:
  • Mozilla spends time and resources on Firefox Spin-offs "for the future" (Servo) - but that seems to be a small team. Also "cloud-grabbing" by basing it on a proprietary, unfinished unconventional programming language for a browser...
  • At the same time, resources are diverted to Tofino as "exploration" (which , in all honestly, sounds rather like the VP wanting to have some toys to play with) -- also a small team of only 6 people.
  • While e10s is still not finished (and e10s code has been weaved in since way before our fork-off point...) and obviously not getting much attention to finish it up already.
  • On the other side, Firefox OS is gone, core technologies are deprecated, and most of the existing Firefox features can get "it's in maintenance mode" when features are requested. That frees up a lot of developers, more than would be spent on Servo or Tofino.
  • Also, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey are being ejected from the infrastructure available, shrinking actual hardware expenses.
  • And then there's nothing left of the $200 million for "software development" to solve simple bugs in Firefox like bug #942269
I may not have all the exact numbers here, but I don't think this adds up...
Not accusing anyone, but I find it a peculiar combination of circumstances.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-04-14, 19:23

Rust is MIT/ASL2 licensed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-15, 04:52

jumba wrote:Rust is MIT/ASL2 licensed.
Doesn't make it any less proprietary by being built around one product. Who else uses Rust?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-04-15, 06:07

Well the rust compiler uses rust! :D

You can find approximately about 17,000 repositories using it on GitHub:
https://github.com/search?l=&o=desc&q=l ... =%E2%9C%93
Last edited by jumba on 2016-04-15, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-15, 07:26

jumba wrote:Well the rust compiler uses rust! :D

You can find approximately about 17,000 repositories using it on GitHub:
https://github.com/search?l=&o=desc&q=l ... =%E2%9C%93
I stand corrected! :)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2016-09-08, 14:12

Moonchild wrote:
[*]And then there's nothing left of the $200 million for "software development" to solve simple bugs in Firefox like bug #942269[/list]
How could I customize QuickFind shortcut keys in PM?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-08, 14:47

latitude wrote:How could I customize QuickFind shortcut keys in PM?
By offering a patch that makes it pref-configurable.

And I'm saying this because this is what is called a "good first bug" in Mozilla terms: a great opportunity for someone to get familiar with the general way of improving the browser. Getting familiar with the research, general code style, and contribution of an enhancement.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2016-09-08, 15:11

Moonchild wrote:
latitude wrote:How could I customize QuickFind shortcut keys in PM?
By offering a patch that makes it pref-configurable.

And I'm saying this because this is what is called a "good first bug" in Mozilla terms: a great opportunity for someone to get familiar with the general way of improving the browser. Getting familiar with the research, general code style, and contribution of an enhancement.
So, PM development related to bug-fixing is still depended to FX bug-fixing department?

It would be great to customize "Refresh" shortcut key from F5 to F12, for example.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-08, 20:03

latitude wrote:So, PM development related to bug-fixing is still depended to FX bug-fixing department?
No, it isn't. I'm not saying you should submit anything to bugzilla or Firefox. I'm purely speaking Pale Moon code.
latitude wrote:It would be great to customize "Refresh" shortcut key from F5 to F12, for example.
Not going to happen. it would break expectance for users. F5 is a common key for "refresh" in many software applications (including operating systems).
Also, F12 is already in use for devtools.