The future of error screens / Windows 8

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

The future of error screens / Windows 8

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-28, 10:21

Get ready for text smileys and woeful lack of detail in Windows 8. Not to mention incorrectness (it's not the PC that ran into a problem it couldn't handle, it's Windows that ran into a problem it couldn't handle - the PC is fine)

By the way.. "You can search for the error online" is about as helpful as a phone company telling you that "if your phone doesn't work, call xxx-xxxxxx for assistance".. :lol:
Attachments
I mean.. seriously? o.O
I mean.. seriously? o.O
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Re: The future of error screens

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-28, 10:44

The most think i hate in Windows 8 is the "Metro" GUI. Dont need a tablet windows for a desktop pc.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-28, 11:18

I tried using the mouse in Win 8. I seriously did. It just.. doesn't.. work.
And without Metro, Win 8 is just Windows 7 (internal versioning is 6.2, Win 7 being 6.1)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-05-28, 11:37

From my own personal opinion on Windows 8, I think it's going to be a bust just like Windows Vista was. I don't care for Metro and I certainly don't like having any mouse problems. Metro for me means, it's a dog that won't hunt.

This is why I converted my old XP backup computer to run Windows 7 Ultimate. Both of my Windows 7 computers have a second internal backup hard drive in them. With this setup and Windows 7 recovery discs, I shouldn't have to buy another computer for at least 10 years. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-28, 12:14

Moonchild wrote:I tried using the mouse in Win 8. I seriously did. It just.. doesn't.. work.
And without Metro, Win 8 is just Windows 7 (internal versioning is 6.2, Win 7 being 6.1)
I haven't followed the development of Win 8, you are saying that it will be available as a newer release of Win 7 so there is no need to have "boxes" all over the screen?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-28, 13:00

Rohugh wrote:I haven't followed the development of Win 8, you are saying that it will be available as a newer release of Win 7 so there is no need to have "boxes" all over the screen?
No, I'm just saying that under the hood, it's very similar to Win 7. Also means there's no need to move to Win 8 -at all- unless you really need the touchscreen/tablet functionality specifically put into Win 8. Metro really is a joke, all things considered; it's just a new twist on "active desktop" considering it's all html based using the MSIE rendering engine to put it on your screen.

It's all surface - including making error screens like the one in my original post.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-05-28, 13:49

Well, reading what Microsoft are proposing for windows 8, introducing the Metro interface... what on earth is wrong with the way it works now? I think touch screens and the like are fine for Tablet's and various mobile devices but not transferable to desktops etc, where users traditionally use mouse/touchpad/keyboard to navigate and seems natural.

Windows xp is the best OS anyway and I've never even felt the need to move to windows 7 let alone 8. Perhaps MS will consider the people who use their software for a change and facillitate Classic view functionality for users who want it (probably the majority if the truth was known)... but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2012-05-28, 15:32

The problem is that it's catered to the lowest common denominator - those who really haven't much of a clue about computers at all. For that particular type of user, this blue screen is probably best, but for the rest it's hardly useful at all.

Probably the most drastic loss in Windows 8 is the start button in lieu of the start screen, though for those unfortunate souls who actually have to use Windows 8 there's always third-party programs like Classic Shell or ViStart to readd something which should never have been removed. As for Metro, it only looks good on touch-enabled devices, personally, where it isn't anywhere near as cumbersome as with a mouse/keyboard. I do like the Explorer and window frame implementation, though, for desktop, as long as it can be made darker:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-28, 16:33

In what way is a nondescript blue screen "best" for anyone? Seriously, if someone runs into a blue screen like that who doesn't really have a clue, what do they do? They ask someone with more technical experience. In Windows 8, that person can't help the user because there's no information on the screen apart from "Oops, something went wrong".

At the same time, as your screenshot shows, they toss the "ribbon interface" at the clueless users, which is bewildering even for a died-in-the-wool computer user like myself, with its haphazard layout, mix of large icons and small icons (with labels below and next to the icon) that would get you an "F" in graphic design class, and controls all over the place.

As for the metro start screen, called up by moving the mouse to the bottom left of the screen, you don't want to know how often I opened MSIE by mistake (it being the first icon) when trying to open the start screen. Why? because the popup for the metro screen pops up when you move to the corner, but vanishes if you actually move the mouse again to go click the popup control. Very counter-intuitive to not leave the control popup in place until you actually move the mouse out of the popped area (off the control).
Of note is that using a touch screen, the way you control Win 8 is completely different (using gestures and swipes), so it's almost as if a serious effort was made to make it uncomfortable for mouse/kb users (can you even use just keyboard controls in Win 8 anymore? I wonder...) while they -could- have left well enough alone, since they are using different interaction methods anyway...?

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-05-28, 19:18

The only thing that is going to be better about Win8 vs Win7 is its OS kernel optimizations and the fact that certain areas will see a performance increase and/or faster handling. Start up times is an example, a bit more modular approach as with MC and such not being included (I personally like the OS to be as 'core' as possible), web optimization and hardware acceleration sees a significant boost over Win7, and some other things like this.

But I agree Metro is an abomination as is something that is completely undesired (and by now actively resisted) by the vast majority of Desktop PC users. The aforementioned Classic Shell app does work (I've been using it in Win7 for years and it is awesome and well written) in Win8 and actually creates a Start Button (!), but it doesn't get rid of Metro. However, I'm sure that Win8, when it goes final, will go under the knife of Windows modders and several options will become available to make Win8 GUI act like Win7 or very close. Then, some custom visual styles and Win8 will be usable :) It is sad, I know, but for a large part I already give Win7 this treatment so I will definitely give Win8 a shot given that some 'fixes' are developed for it.

As far as image building, Win8 ADK (WAIK) tools are apparently much faster (Imagex I heard), and then there's Windows To Go, which can take the place of a PE, so I personally would like to work with these and see what's possible as far as creating customized images (as I already do with Win7). But Win7 will remain very viable, and will definitely remain an OS I will be maintaining and updating, and most probably will keep using as my primary OS :D

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2012-05-29, 13:56

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-29, 17:36

I've always compared Vista with Me XD
you got a remarkable point there -- although Win95R2 was good too, just not the first one ;) And win98SE was the "Stupid Edition" ;-)

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2012-05-29, 19:54

Windows 98SE (4.10.2222) is just a service pack and I never had any issues with it. Windows 95 OSR2.5 (4.00.950 C) may be considered the Windows 98 RC1 :lol:
But when we talk about shit, Vista and ME are the real deal. At the time of the Windows ME release, I used to joke about it: 'if this new windows do not perform nice, it's name is a self made joke (in portuguese), Windows ME(rda) (Merda=Shit) :lol:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-29, 20:02

Jonatham wrote:Windows 98SE (4.10.2222) is just a service pack and I never had any issues with it. Windows 95 OSR2.5 (4.00.950 C) may be considered the Windows 98 RC1 :lol:
Win95 OSR2 (950 B) is what I talked about - I actually ran that one for a very long time and very stable.
At the time, the problem with 98SE was that it didn't add anything to the O.S. of note, but the system requirements went up from 128 MB to 256 MB to be able to properly run it (I believe it was because of MSIE being bumped to a memory hungry version integrated in 98SE). So in that respect it was really stupid.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-29, 20:45

Looks like I have been plain lucky. I ran 98 for a while on a real old comp and never had any problems - well no more that to be expected, then jumped to XP (which I still have on my laptop). 7 came along and I have been more than happy with it, and happy that I avoided Vista. Oh well, maybe I should now hang on for Windows 9 or whatever it is going to be called.

I stay away from anything touch screen or looking like it, I won't even use a touch screen mobile - perhaps I am just too old to change. :(
Last edited by Rohugh on 2012-05-29, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2012-05-29, 21:25

Moonchild wrote:
Jonatham wrote:Windows 98SE (4.10.2222) is just a service pack and I never had any issues with it. Windows 95 OSR2.5 (4.00.950 C) may be considered the Windows 98 RC1 :lol:
Win95 OSR2 (950 B) is what I talked about - I actually ran that one for a very long time and very stable.
At the time, the problem with 98SE was that it didn't add anything to the O.S. of note, but the system requirements went up from 128 MB to 256 MB to be able to properly run it (I believe it was because of MSIE being bumped to a memory hungry version integrated in 98SE). So in that respect it was really stupid.
Just to add some info: Win95 450C is not bad, it is just the 450B with more fixes but can be considered like the RC of the 98 because it looks a lot like it.

About windows 8: Well, I do not want to use my computer as a tablet. I could have bought a tablet if I wanted to use a GUI like that.

dv8cowboy

Unread post by dv8cowboy » 2012-06-01, 22:54

I agree Moonchild.I so love my Win 7 64bit/8Megs Ram EXCEPT for the UAC which I disabled (MS doesn't come up with answers anyway)! ;)

-Cowboy

Moonchild wrote:
Rohugh wrote:I haven't followed the development of Win 8, you are saying that it will be available as a newer release of Win 7 so there is no need to have "boxes" all over the screen?
No, I'm just saying that under the hood, it's very similar to Win 7. Also means there's no need to move to Win 8 -at all- unless you really need the touchscreen/tablet functionality specifically put into Win 8. Metro really is a joke, all things considered; it's just a new twist on "active desktop" considering it's all html based using the MSIE rendering engine to put it on your screen.

It's all surface - including making error screens like the one in my original post.

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-06-05, 23:29

Talking about Windows 8, the other day I had made some wallpapers for a fun thread on another forum. I'll just link the images here (Imageshack), maybe it'll be good for a laugh:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-06-07, 02:25

Moonchild wrote:Get ready for text smileys and woeful lack of detail in Windows 8. Not to mention incorrectness (it's not the PC that ran into a problem it couldn't handle, it's Windows that ran into a problem it couldn't handle - the PC is fine)

By the way.. "You can search for the error online" is about as helpful as a phone company telling you that "if your phone doesn't work, call xxx-xxxxxx for assistance".. :lol:
That reminds me the sad mac screen or the Amiga's guru meditation. :mrgreen:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-06-12, 04:24

I think I'll skip Windows 8 as I skipped Windows vista. And this apply too to MSDOS versions: 2, 4, 6 were really bad and needed lost of patches and were updated too quickly. If you see manuals and tips, often people asked for solutions on MSDOS 3, 5 and 7. XD