What do you guys think of Google Chrome?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: What do you guys think of Google Chrome?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-17, 09:48

vayth wrote:I also like Chrome's tabs better than Firefox's endless-scrolling tabs (not Palemoon's fault of course)
I actually tried Chrome with more than a handful of tabs, and it becomes rather silly really quick since you can't read any of the tab titles anymore when they are shrunk to less than half a word or beyond.
You can, actually, do the same in Pale Moon by setting the minimum width for tabs in userChrome.css so it won't start scrolling tabs that quickly - and in fact you can make it so it will at all times the icon remains visible while Chrome would just keep shrinking beyond usability.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-06-17, 18:47

vayth wrote:And since I don't like Google's stalker policy, I'm still waiting the day it gets better than Chrome.
If you don't like Google's "stalker policy" and don't want to make Pale Moon your default browser, you should use this instead of the official Chrome.

It uses the same source code as Google Chrome without all the unnecessary stalker bullshit Google includes in it.

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2012-06-18, 02:46

Moonchild wrote: I actually tried Chrome with more than a handful of tabs, and it becomes rather silly really quick since you can't read any of the tab titles anymore when they are shrunk to less than half a word or beyond.
You can, actually, do the same in Pale Moon by setting the minimum width for tabs in userChrome.css so it won't start scrolling tabs that quickly - and in fact you can make it so it will at all times the icon remains visible while Chrome would just keep shrinking beyond usability.
yeah, but as long as the icons are still visible (usually I open 25-30 tabs at most), then I can still remember which tab is what.
but thanks, I'll try to edit the tab setting. Palemoon's default width is a little too much IMO
Pnume wrote: If you don't like Google's "stalker policy" and don't want to make Pale Moon your default browser, you should use this instead of the official Chrome.

It uses the same source code as Google Chrome without all the unnecessary stalker bullshit Google includes in it.
so it's some kind of "palemoon for chrome", right? I'll try it right away :D
Thx~

Tallpaultn

Unread post by Tallpaultn » 2012-06-18, 03:34

SRWare Iron is another Browser similar to Google Chrome, but without all the Google snooping, etc. b.s. I've been using it for a pretty long time now, love it & highly recommend it. I use it & Comodo Dragon also--both serve my needs far better than Google Chrome & both are updated regularly...

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-06-18, 09:29

vayth wrote:so it's some kind of "palemoon for chrome", right? I'll try it right away :D
That's pretty much right, homie.

However, I don't think it's optimized much for speed while Pale Moon is. It's made more for security/privacy whores rather than, umm . . . speed whores. You shouldn't see much of an increase in speed from the official Google Chrome.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-18, 15:00

Moonchild wrote:
vayth wrote:I also like Chrome's tabs better than Firefox's endless-scrolling tabs (not Palemoon's fault of course)
I actually tried Chrome with more than a handful of tabs, and it becomes rather silly really quick since you can't read any of the tab titles anymore when they are shrunk to less than half a word or beyond.
agreed. the tabs are shrunk so much in chrome and opera that you dont know which tab is which. i prefer FF's tab scrolling.

i have been experimenting with chrome and found that the tabs are opened in different processes but :

1. if you open a lot of tabs together, it can use 100% of a quad core CPU to initialize these tabs . by initialise i mean that the tabs appear in the UI and loading starts.

2. but after the pages have loaded completely, and then you run any benchmark on individual tab, the browser will use only a single CPU. so if you run 4 instances of Dromaeo benchmark on 4 tabs, the CPU usage is still 25%.

one thing i really like about chrome is that the tabs and the complete UI (windows, menus, borders, tabs close, tab switch) are asynch of the loading page. so if you are opening a lot of tabs, the ui feels smooth.
In PM/FF, the UI becomes quite unresponsive when muliple tabs are being loaded.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-19, 15:26

stravinsky wrote:one thing i really like about chrome is that the tabs and the complete UI (windows, menus, borders, tabs close, tab switch) are asynch of the loading page. so if you are opening a lot of tabs, the ui feels smooth.
In PM/FF, the UI becomes quite unresponsive when muliple tabs are being loaded.
Even though I personally don't see this happen all too often, I understand that it affects a decent portion of the users. It's why I keep an eye on Mozilla code development in this respect, as work is being done on improving this. It's a complex issue though considering the Firefox UI is XUL (special XML) and javascript, and uses the same gecko engine back-end as the loading pages.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

akshayk29

Unread post by akshayk29 » 2012-06-21, 09:42

Google Chrome is a resource hog and the add-ons on it don't have enough freedom than Palemoon/FF.And when Chrome updates,it eats full CPU and Memory.And it's up to you what browser you choose

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-21, 16:42

i dont mind resource hogs much. but i hate it when browsers eat RAM for breakfast and then get slow

if chrome got as good ADBlock Plus as FF, i would switch to chrome today.

Jillian

Unread post by Jillian » 2012-06-26, 15:29

I posted on an earlier post that Chrome was an excellent Browsr and that I loved Chrome. In fact , I left a long term affair with Firefox for Chrome.

Now , I have changed my mind due to changes in an update of Chrome. When I launch it , my home page of Google doesn't show up. Instead , my Application page shows up.

Well I go into settings and make changes to get my home page back. Thought all was great until I clicked the "New Tab" and my Most visited places showed up. I needed to find my Application page and never could.

Yes , I could go to the Chrome store and click on My Applications and the ones I have would launch , but could find no way to delete the ones I no longer have any use for.

Well, I got frustrated with this change in Chrome and uninstalled it. Went back to Firefox 13. Found it slow and yes , still buggy on my computer. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled Pale Moon . I am so far happy.

I will keep Pale Moon and IE 9 as my Browsers. Pale Moon is default.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-06-26, 16:42

I had a play with CoolNovo as it offers a sidebar, worked well but I couldn't find a way of reducing the width of the sidebar which took up waaaaaay too much space, and their forums were far from helpful. So I am still with Pale Moon as default and IE9 as a backup (just in case :) )

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-26, 17:55

i am seriously considering switching to google chrome.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-06-27, 17:55

stravinsky wrote:i am seriously considering switching to google chrome.
Why? Are you having issues with Pale Moon?

Cactusneedle

Unread post by Cactusneedle » 2012-06-27, 18:03

I have it set up on an Acer PC with Vista O/S as a last ditch browser but actually hate it. It causes my malwarebytes to go crazy with warnings relating to Chrome. The addons stink, especially the lack of useable adblockers and themes, of which FF and PM offer several very good ones. AVG antivirus offered me "AVG do not track" blocker icon, which I installed and it allows me to block google tracking on Chrome. Still not enough to make me a user. IMO Chrome and Opera are the two most useless browsers out there, in a class with IE. PM is my sweetheart--fast, kept up-to-date, and with all the FF addons I favor available.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-06-27, 18:28

I dont need Chrome. Dont like the data tracking from google and i have with pale moon noscript, adblockplus and other good addons.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-28, 04:19

Pnume wrote:
stravinsky wrote:i am seriously considering switching to google chrome.
Why? Are you having issues with Pale Moon?
having issues with FF/PM in general.
i regularly open a set of 20 tabs a few times every hour or so. with PMFF , it gets quite bad. the complete UI freezes : i cant right click, open any menu, switch tabs, even maximise/minimize/close the browser. believe me, it doesnt feel like a 2012 browser at all. feels like IE7 on pentium4. :(

This is the only issue i have with PMFF. i believe Mozilla(taras glek) is already working on this. but the patches cant come too soon for me.

Chrome really excels in this type of usecase. the UI appears to be independent of other tasks. so no matter the number of tabs you open, the UI feels smooth.