The Windows 10 mega-thread!

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: The Windows 10 mega-thread!

Unread postby Night Wing » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 18:19

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am already set up in many ways for Linux. Pale Moon works in Linux, Protonmail works in Linux. I would have to replace Office, but I only use Outlook and Word, so that should be easy. I really want to get away from the Microsoft universe completely once 7 is not a viable OS.

If you run a linux distro, say for instance linux Mint, if you don't do lots of specialized stuff in Office, you don't have to replace Office. Even though Mint comes pre-installed by default with Libre Office, many people are still "married" to Microsoft Office. So they think they can't use linux.

What they fail to understand and this may include you, you can use the free online version of Office Online. All you need to access it is a Microsoft account (user name and password). If you still have Microsoft Office, then you already have a Microsoft Account. The link for free Microsoft Office Online is below. If you can remember your Office user name and password when you set up Microsoft Office, use them in the Sign in, in the link below and see if it will allow you access to free Office Online.

https://products.office.com/en-us/offic ... ice-online

Then using your linux distro with say, linux Pale Moon, you can use free Office Online to access Word (or the Excel spreadsheet). If you need Outlook, get yourself an Outlook.com email address. This way, you get to "have your cake and eat it too". The link to Outlook.com is below.

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?authRedirect=true

Since I have a Hotmail email account, way before Microsoft bought Hotmail, I have to get to my Hotmail email account through (Outlook.com).

I use the link below because I just want the Sign in page for (Outlook.com).

https://login.live.com/?id=2

My Hotmail email account automatically gives me a Microsoft account (user name and password). If you don't want Windows 10, this just could be your way out once Windows 7 reaches it's end of life (EOL) on January 14th, 2020. For people who absolutely hate Windows 10, they have two choices. Either Apple or linux.

Think about it and I mean "seriously" think about. I'm not a linux power user. Linux power users know and use the linux commands when they access the linux Terminal. I don't know linux commands so I avoid the linux terminal. Everything I do in linux Mint, I use gui windows just like I use the gui windows in Windows 7.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 20:22

The automatic updates for Home are crap and that is because the Insiders just ain't anywhere near as good as Microsofts QA people in charge of the Updates whom CEO Nadella got rid of.

Actually, I think all insiders are on Win 10 professional. Home doesn't enter the picture as an insider.
So if the Home version updates specifically are crap, don't blame the Windows Insiders, because they never get to use the Home edition or see patches to it before they are rolled out.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 21:29

Moonchild wrote:
The automatic updates for Home are crap and that is because the Insiders just ain't anywhere near as good as Microsofts QA people in charge of the Updates whom CEO Nadella got rid of.

Actually, I think all insiders are on Win 10 professional. Home doesn't enter the picture as an insider.

In the computer shop, we keep a track on what comes in repair wise when it comes to Windows 10 Home and Pro. The last time I checked our Windows 10 repair records, 1 out of every 6 computers we repair running W10 Pro, they've got problems related to the W10 Updates. This is a high percentage rate between 16%-17% and this is way too high (in my opinion) if the Insiders are using Pro.

The big problems on Windows 10 both for Home and Pro comes every 6 months like clock work. Won't install, won't boot upon restart, endless loop, no wifi for laptops, BSOD's, etc. The owner of the computer repair shop (my next door neighbor), expects the usual heavy call for repairs for Window 10 this upcoming October or November of 2018 when Microsoft releases version 1809 when it is publicly released via Windows Update. He absolutely loves Windows 10 for one reason. It makes him (and the shop ) a ton of money repairing Windows 10 computers.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Sat, 21 Jul 2018, 07:54

Every 6 months is when Microsoft rolls out their next "milestone" to the release channel. Since that involves an in-place upgrade of the OS, internally at least, that is when you would expect problems to pop up. Insiders never experience such big jumps in feature sets or system changes. So, don't blame the insiders, blame Microsoft for not having thought through the upgrade processes properly.

To illustrate:

Release: M1 -> -> -> -> -> M2
Insiders: M1 -> B1 -> B2 -> B3 -> B4 -> M2

Even though the insider track can go smoothly, missing out the intermediate "B" states and trying to jump directly from M1 to M2 isn't guaranteed to have the same results. If Microsoft relies purely on the insider track to have their upgrade testing done, then yes, that's a mistake in test planning.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

helloimustbegoing
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby helloimustbegoing » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 01:37

Off-topic:
FWIW, Linux Mint is probably the easiest flavor of Linux to learn for those coming straight off of Windows. I know because Mint was the first variety of Linux I used when I left Windows. Why don't you just download the .iso, burn it to a DVD, and run a live session and see what you think? That way, you can get a feel for it before you install it. Just be aware that a live session won't run as fast as an install since it's running off of a disc and not the hard drive. Also in Mint, you have your choice of four different desktop environments (DEs for short). I use the Mate DE because it worked the most like Windows, at least to me.

Nigaikaze
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Nigaikaze » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 01:50

Off-topic:
helloimustbegoing wrote:FWIW, Linux Mint is probably the easiest flavor of Linux to learn for those coming straight off of Windows.

Yep, from my own experience switching from Windows to Linux, I second this. When I started teaching my Windows-using family members how to use Linux, we started with Mint.

helloimustbegoing wrote:Also in Mint, you have your choice of four different desktop environments (DEs for short).

Three now, not four -- they dropped KDE.

helloimustbegoing
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby helloimustbegoing » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 02:24

Off-topic:
Nigaikaze wrote:
Three now, not four -- they dropped KDE.

Oops, I forgot (I don't use Mint anymore, that's my alibi ;) ). Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:
Last edited by helloimustbegoing on Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Nigaikaze » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 02:50

Off-topic:
helloimustbegoing wrote:Thanks for the correction.

No problem. That's what ended up driving me away from Mint. I needs me my KDE. :D

NotFunny
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread postby NotFunny » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 17:34

TwoTankAmin wrote:2. The only other OS option available to me is Linux.

What's wrong with a Mac?

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 17:54

NotFunny wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:2. The only other OS option available to me is Linux.

What's wrong with a Mac?

Almost - everything.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Tomaso » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 18:03

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Almost - everything.

Correction:
Almost - everything

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread postby satrow » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 18:18

TwoTankAmin wrote:My 2nd copy of Windows 7 is brand new with the little certificate with the key. Pm the disk it states: Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC. I can keep the case, the power supply the fans etc. and put in all new components. Legally, Microsoft cannot refuse to honor a legitimate copy being used in accordance with the terms of its sale, since that would end them up in court.

FYI: The MAR/MRR (Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher/Microsoft Registered Refurbisher) W7 license, which appears to be the type you have, does not allow self-builds/refurbs, as it's presumably intended to help shift ex-corporate previously MAK/KMS (Enterprise, Volume etc.) licensed PCs. You're not allowed to use your own refurb build, the licenses are for relatively large refurb. companies, not for small scale/self builders.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/refurbi ... buygenuine and the MAR Program Guide (pdf) give some details, though the earlier MS pages (the links above both post-date the DVD to HD recovery method switch) could be quite difficult to find now. The earlier DVD MAR/MRR's I've handled had all been supplied with a DVD + License sticker and the DVD covers had the specific limitations outlined above printed on them.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 20:58

This might help.

Microsoft offers many ways to buy Windows 7
https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-micr ... licensing/

Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft
https://www.zdnet.com/article/is-it-ok- ... microsoft/
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 10:40

With regard to my previous comment re: the Windows replacement o/s, ReactOS - a new version was released today, 0.4.9 - Here is the link to the general release announement https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17292&sid=17b89127f194ce71dcb682b7e6a06e84

Of specific interest:
Compatibility in Windows is reliant on a ShimEngine that allows the loading of slightly different versions of libraries and APIs. ReactOS is much the same, and Mark has added the ability for ReactOS to present itself as Windows 8.1 with the Version APIs. As a sidenote, the engine itself proved useful in a rather unconventional manner when it was demonstrated to help reduce the loading time of the game Globulation 2.

Note to ALL: Do not just follow my link and install ReactOS until you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Install ReactOS on your PC risks a severe feck up of your PC and is at your own risk. Enjoy the link!
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 16:28

Funny you bring that up. I was bored last night and downloaded ReactOs and burned it to a
disk just to live disk it and see what it was about. Blue screened before it even finished loading. :thumbdown:
Doesn't like my system I guess. Oh,well. Off to the bin with it. ;)
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 17:28

Tossed ReactOS in VMWare to have a look. Still NT 5.2 (XP/S2003) -- really not worth anyone's time.

(and the documentation stating it's targeting NT drivers with a range from XP to Win 7 -- NT5 and NT6 have a totally different driver architecture. Do they even know what they are doing?)
Last edited by Moonchild on Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 18:55

Moonchild wrote:Tossed ReactOS in VMWare to have a look. Still NT 5.2 (XP/S2003) -- really not worth anyone's time.

(and the documentation stating it's targeting NT drivers with a range from XP to Win 7 -- NT5 and NT6 have a totally different driver architecture. Do they even know what they are doing?)

I don't think you could have read my response last time you dismissed ReactOS. It is strange how your own prejudices re: ReactOS are similar to the opinions of those detractors of Palemoon. Old software, out of date, who'd use it? Sounds familiar?

Yes - it is STILL 5.2 and so it will remain 5.2. Nothing will change. That is the goal and yes of course they know what they are doing. They are really very intelligent people with a discrete goal. The issue is really your own prejudices towards the project and the fact that the software delivery does not match your own personal timescales. Saying "it is not really worth anyone's time" is one of those weird statements you pronounce from time to time that have no context, they sound fine in the delivery but they make little sense in reality.

Anyone who bothers to look will understand ReactOS is not yet ready for anyone to use - as it is in Alpha. It is however, worth everyone's time to note how close it is becoming to being usable. It is worth testing within a virtual environment to see how it is progresses and whether it will be able to run the software components you might choose to run on it.

Remember that Palemoon was built on a wealth of code provided by other programmer's years of experience. Palemoon was not created from scratch. ReactOS has to be reverse-engineered, documented and built from scratch and the task is many times the size of Palemoon. I always find one's own personal prejudices can taint our own personal outpourings to the world. I tend to be a little more measured and hopefully a little more understanding. However, the 'now' generation know what they want.

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 18:59

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Funny you bring that up. I was bored last night and downloaded ReactOs and burned it to a
disk just to live disk it and see what it was about. Blue screened before it even finished loading. :thumbdown:
Doesn't like my system I guess. Oh,well. Off to the bin with it. ;)

There is a daily delivery and a set of installation instructions - follow those and don't test it on real hardware again...it is NOT ready. If you put it in your main PC and attempted to boot it you could have damaged your data.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 19:40

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:I don't think you could have read my response last time you dismissed ReactOS. It is strange how your own prejudices re: ReactOS are similar to the opinions of those detractors of Palemoon. Old software, out of date, who'd use it? Sounds familiar?

They aren't prejudices. ReactOS isn't old software, either (and I never said so) but you have to admit that creating an OS for software that, by the time it's finished, will not have been updated for up to 10 years, is not going to be supported by anyone and has very little use apart from nostalgia, is rather pointless to sink your time into.

Even MyPal, the updated fork of Pale Moon for NT 5.*, which has a nice place in the application manager of ReactOS, will have very limited life left -- the era of Tycho is over, and UXP is really going to be difficult to make run on it, I think. Even if so, that kind of a stretch is certainly not going to be possible with most proprietary software, either.

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Yes - it is STILL 5.2 and so it will remain 5.2. Nothing will change.

Then I will continue to call it a major mistake, and will continue to dismiss it as a moot exercise, and this discussion doesn't belong in this thread anymore (because it will never, ever be an alternative OS to consider in lieu of Windows 10 in that case).

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 21:04

Well you are welcome to your opinions and your prejudices. They are part of you. It is what makes you interesting I suppose. Some of your comments are a little colourful and need to receive some fleshed-out facts in response. Opinions are always good to have whether right or wrong.

ReactOS is not ready for use and that much IS true.

Return to “General discussion”