The Windows 10 mega-thread!

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Latitude
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: The Windows 10 mega-thread!

Unread postby Latitude » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 15:13

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 17:26

One of my favorite comments. :mrgreen:
Can someone please sit all the “biometric access” folks down and ask them one simple question. How often have you had to change your password? That is a simple process.

If your biometric signature is compromised, getting a new set of eyes, altering one’s voice, having one’s fingerprints changed, or rearranging the eye-eye-nose triangle is a tad more difficult.

I’m also not happy about the idea that if biometric security is guarding something truly valuable, fingers may be cut off to acquire the fingerprint, or eyes cut out to fool the eye scanner.

Biometric security should be a non-starter. Throw it away and find something else with a future.

Oh, and this one too. :lol:
Meanwhile, the dog was chewing a plastic bone and a tennis ball at the same time; maybe I’m the weird one.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
"And this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause!"

Latitude
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Latitude » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 14:40

Off-topic:
Sorry to be offtopic here.

But, I really want to know when Intel & AMD processors would be Meltdown & Spectre-free?

My 10-year-old laptop I'm currently using needs to retire soon.
Last edited by Latitude on Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 14:50

Off-topic:
@ Latitude

If you are going to wait for Intel and AMD to bring out new processor chips to fix the Meltdown and Spectre problems, you are going to wait for a very long time. This isn't an overnight or a few months wait. I'm guessing it is going to be a year wait...........or even a lot longer wait.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64-Bit (Default OS) with 64-Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32-Bit windows Pale Moon

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 15:06

I have a prediction, though I'm usually wrong: I might get this one right.

I predict that all new chips from this point on will only work on Windows 10 or later and perhaps Linux and Mac.
M$ is already taking these steps, so perhaps it's not too hard to imagine ( so not entirely off topic). :angel:

So unless your planning on using W10 from this point on, then you might as well forget having anything
new to put on Windows 7 or 8.

The fact still stands, the issues with AMD are soooooooooo much smaller than Intel since you must have
physical access to the computer to infect it. Unlike Intel which can be compromised remote over the net.

Anything below Ryzen chips does not have these issues anyway. Personally, I can't imagine needing anything
faster than my 8 core Amd 4ghz processor for what I do. The thing is super snappy with my SSD and everything
works awesome.

Perhaps if I was doing some video editing or something like building an operating system
or browser I would need more. This will probably be the last system I buy or build unless
there comes a time where I can't get parts for it. :mrgreen:

Isengrim
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Isengrim » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 16:13

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Perhaps if I was doing some video editing or something like building an operating system
or browser I would need more.

Off-topic:
I have built Pale Moon on my quad core 3.5 GHz processor plenty of times. I'm sure you'd be just fine. ;)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 17:21

"Personally, I can't imagine needing anything faster than my 8 core Amd 4ghz processor for what I do. The thing is super snappy with my SSD and everything works awesome."

For the record, your processor is more powerful than the one in my workhorse of a workstation (AMD FX-6300) so if Windows 10 becomes a hard requirement for certain hardware, I'll be happy to stay with what I have for a long while or pick carefully if I build a new one in the future. Performance has capped out quite a bit, and just throwing more cores at it becomes pointless rather quick for workstations. the reality is that most user-interactive applications simply don't parallelize easily or well, and users don't tend to work in 10 programs at once... (I might but that's the exception, I guess ;) )
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:12

nana2 wrote:
Phantom wrote:
nana2 wrote: I don't care anymore if Windows 10 snoops on me or not!!

Complacency in terms of privacy is down right Orwellian.

Not complacency but downright sick and very tired physically (gastroparesis) and mentally and being 75 so I throw in the towel. I will try and have been trying to find out how to keep Windows 10 from snooping on my PC, so far no luck... I had a ton of Windows 10 bookmarks while on 7 but they were old so I just deleted them.

Have a look here, it's better than nothing. But I have a feeling once an update occurs BS M$ will revert your settings. https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/compa ... acy-tools/
Last edited by Phantom on Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:21

So M$ in their infinite wisdom seems to think a fingerprint will stop someone from gaining access to my computer? Fingerprints and passwords are two completely different things in the eyes of a court. I for one already use FDE and it sure as isn't M$'s crap.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:56

Moonchild wrote:(I might but that's the exception, I guess ;) )

Perhaps it depends on how much coffee you had that day! :lol:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 11:12

Phantom wrote:So M$ in their infinite wisdom seems to think a fingerprint will stop someone from gaining access to my computer?

On a side note about biometric access and Murphy's Law.

What happens if someone who is not a power user decides to use their right index fingerprint to access their computer and then gets a deep cut on that right index finger which leaves a nice nasty scar which would alter the fingerprint thereby not giving them access to their own computer. I think the average everyday computer user who is not a power user would find themselves in a quick bind.

Latitude
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Latitude » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 13:06

Off-topic:
Ice Lake would address Meltdown + Spectre hardware vulnerabilities. (2019) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Lake_(microarchitecture)
Last edited by Latitude on Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 13:24, edited 5 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 13:28

Latitude wrote:Including Coffee Lake & Ryzen?

Too bad - but I'll wait for it.

EDIT: Ice Lake would address Meltdown + Spectre hardware vulnerabilities. (2019) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Lake_(microarchitecture)

Releasing info "about" Ice Lake on Wikipedia is all fine and dandy, but what is missing is "when" the Ice Lake processor is finished and will be released to the motherboard manufacturers.

nana2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby nana2 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 16:09

Phantom wrote:
nana2 wrote:
Phantom wrote:
nana2 wrote: I don't care anymore if Windows 10 snoops on me or not!!

Complacency in terms of privacy is down right Orwellian.

Not complacency but downright sick and very tired physically (gastroparesis) and mentally and being 75 so I throw in the towel. I will try and have been trying to find out how to keep Windows 10 from snooping on my PC, so far no luck... I had a ton of Windows 10 bookmarks while on 7 but they were old so I just deleted them.

Have a look here, it's better than nothing. But I have a feeling once an update occurs BS M$ will revert your settings. https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/compa ... acy-tools/

Think I found something, O&OShutup10, but feel a little hesitant now, although it seems to be quite safe. There is even a little clip of it on how to use it. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... tup10.html

Latitude
Astronaut
Astronaut

Who needs text?

Unread postby Latitude » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 15:04

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 08:26

Quality control is fantastic over at M$!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 13:48

At the computer repair shop where I volunteer at (because my next door neighbor owns the computer shop), Windows 10 Home is the version we see a lot of because it is a constant beta. It will never mature either. Older machines which originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium, when people took up Microsoft's offer for free Windows 10 Home upgrade via Windows Update, these machines are constantly having problems. The automatic updates for Home are crap and that is because the Insiders just ain't anywhere near as good as Microsofts QA people in charge of the Updates whom CEO Nadella got rid of.

Since I volunteer, I get to choose what operating system I work on and I that is Windows 7 (Home, Pro, Ultimate) and linux distros (mostly Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro). When people get fed up with W10 Home and want something different, I always ask them if they are using any software that is Windows only. If they say no, then I ask them if they want to try a linux distro and if they want to try a linux distro, I tell them to bring to the shop their printer. I put their files on a USB flash/thumb drive for my next step which is below.

What I do then is put a "loaner" hard drive into their computer and this way they can try out a linux distro and see if their printer works with the distro. Then I teach them how to use the linux distro. This way, if they don't like linux, I take out the loaner linux hard drive and put their Windows 10 Home hard drive back in their computer.

I've done three computers this week and so far, none of them want their Windows 10 Home hard drive back.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 15:06

I would have bet $1,000,000 I would never in my life say this, but after reading Night Wing's post above i wished i lived in Texas (at least long enough to get that sort of help). Actually, not really, what I really mean is I wish Night Wing lived in New York near me. I need somebody with his skills to help me big time. And I am willing to pay for the right help.

i have a new legit copy of Windows 7 on the shelf I got for emergency use before they were no longer available. I would love to build a new box with a dual boot system so I could choose which to boot. This way I could learn to use Linux and still be able to work on 7 until I do. I am still wondering if in two year when 7 reaches end of service for anything if that might get changed because there are still to many users in 7. In looking at the desktop numbers from netmarketshare.com for June 2018:
win 7.0= 43.38%
win 10 = 32.08%
win 8.1= 5.70%
win XP = 3.20%
win 9. = 1.22%
Windows 10 has just under 37.5% of all windows desktops.

I am already set up in many ways for Linux. Pale Moon works in Linux, Protonmail works in Linux. I would have to replace Office, but I only use Outlook and Word, so that should be easy. I really want to get away from the Microsoft universe completely once 7 is not a viable OS.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby CraigPD » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 16:42

TTA,
You could go the VM route and ease yourself along the learning curve with minimal techinical effort that would spare Night Wing the cruelty of relocating from TX to NY:) Much simpler and safer to set up than dual boot on a single or independent HDs. The only downside is machine emulation may produce a 20-35% latency in efficiency compared to bare metal install. On the upside, you can run both OSs simultaneously sharing common data folders; all this assuming your hardware is mid-range (≥6-8GB RAM, ≥2.4GHz processor).
Last edited by CraigPD on Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 17:38

TTA,
You could go the VM route and ease yourself along the learning curve with minimal techinical effort that would spare Night Wing the cruelty of relocating from TX to NY:) Much simpler and safer to set up than dual boot on a single or independent HDs. The only downside is machine emulation may produce a 20-35% latency in efficiency compared to bare metal install. On the upside, you can run both OSs simultaneously sharing common data folders; all this assuming your hardware is mid-range (≥6-8GB RAM, ≥2.4GHz processor).
\\

Basically, the only part of the reply I have any understanding about is dual boot. i am familiar with this because I tried to do it years back with XP and 7 and it was a disaster. Oddly enough I tried doing this using my old HD from the XP box and a new HD for windows 7, i.e. 2 drive. As I said, a disaster. I am basically digitally illiterate. So while I appreciate your advice, the terms I put in red mean nothing to me. So just to understand a bit about them means off to Google. But that only tells me what it is about but is no help in being able to install the properly and to use these things. Under the hood means nothing to me, UI means everything.

My very first PC in 1988 which ran on Dos was easier for me to work with and use than anything out there today. That is why so many people just click I Agree and pray. I am not one of them. At 70, I am not willing to go back to school just to use a simply configured PC. Anything I do not use or need in an application becomes bloatware and that makes it more difficult for me to use. Think of it as the difference between a car dashboard and then having the cockpit controls for a jet when all you needed was the car controls. This is one of the big reasons Windows 10 scares me. Features and functions can come go or change without notice and whether or not a user agrees with them.

I am this way with Pale Moon as well. I do not use at least 90% of it because I have no clue what functions do nor how to use the settings/controls for them properly. I would be just as happy with the browser if they weren't there. Second best would to be able to hide them so I cannot make a mistake with them unintentionally. This is also why I turn off most macros.

Off Topic:
Anybody out there who uses Pale Moon and is very familiar (probably a professional) with all of the things I need (Windows 7, Linux, dual boot a VPN, privacy, privacy and privacy), if you can help me locally in NY zip code 10549, PM me. If you can help me remotely, do the same. However, I will need to make sure that I can trust anybody with access to my box before I move ahead. I am willing to discus compensation with a properley qualified individual..
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “General discussion”