The Windows 10 mega-thread!

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Windows 10 mega-thread!

Unread postby Moonchild » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 11:39

Actually, not that illogical. The implementation of it hasn't been very good but the thoughts behind it have been fairly logical overall, so long as they haven't been in conflict with the marketing team at Microsoft to push a mobile-first OS.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 16:15

Isengrim wrote:
Night Wing wrote:…then the next logical step for DaaS is at the consumer level also known as everyday users.
I will abandon Windows completely at home if they begin forcing that without an alternative for managing your own system.

If Microsoft (Nadella) decides to try out DaaS on consumers, I'm pretty sure he "won't force" DaaS on consumers who are using Windows 10. I'm guessing he'll go back to his "playback" which he used to get users on Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 10. Remember the KB3035583 update which was the GWX "nag" prompt which when installed was on the panel Taskbar in Windows 7 nagging users multiple times a day to upgrade to Windows 10.

A lot of users "swallowed the bait" and installed the KB3035583 nag prompt for Windows 10 while using Windows 7. I had a field day uninstalling the update for people using Windows 7 when they came into the shop and wanted to know how to get rid of KB30305583. I made sure to tell the customers Microsoft would bring the update back again and they would have to hide it every month until the offer was stopped.

My gut feeling is, if Microsoft made DaaS mandatory for consumer Windows 10 users, then Microsoft would lose lots of these Windows 10 users to another operating system. My guess is; Microsoft would try to get consumer users to subscribe to DaaS and all Microsoft would have to do is just make an update for Daas which, when installed, would just nag Windows 10 users to death in the hopes of wearing down the resistance to DaaS since there wouldn't be an ending date for this update.........just like the nag update KB3035583 that was foisted on Windows 7 users for the GWX prompt, month after month after month when the update was first hidden.

This is why I think the "open letter to Nadella" is a total waste of time and effort and it is going to fall on "Nadella's deaf ears". I think Nadella sees DaaS as a very lucrative and easy money making opportunity for Microsoft. I can see Nadella just "licking his chops" for the monetary windfall which Microsoft is going to reap.

Remember the Borg? "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKg3ZI3f0-4
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 16:52

Let's keep "what if" and "I know this and this person is likely going to do this and that" speculations to a minimum, shall we?

In truth, nobody but Nadella knows what Nadella is going to do (and maybe even they don't know further than a week in advance either) so... wild speculations and wild guesses are nice and good, but let's just not, especially when it becomes rather personally tinted.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Tomaso » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 12:53

Microsoft shows that it does not really care about user feedback:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/04/micro ... -feedback/
Microsoft does not address any of the concerns brought forward.
The paragraphs look like a copy and paste job that talk about Windows 10 updates in general and how it is different from previous versions.

Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Phantom » Sun, 05 Aug 2018, 17:35

Pfffft Seriously, F Microsoft!

:thumbdown:

RJARRRPCGP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby RJARRRPCGP » Mon, 06 Aug 2018, 04:15

TwoTankAmin wrote:
True story. My first PC was built for me by a friend and he loaded DOS free for me on it (I know I was in the early ranks of stealing software (I just did not know it). I got a program for file management and discovered some file named command.com. It didn't look like something I needed, so I deleted it. After all, it wasn't and exe file. Imagine my surprise when I tried to boot my box the next time. It was off to the software store to buy DOS. DOH!!!

Woah, sounds like you have something in common with me! LOL Probably back in the mid-1990s, I got a hold of an old IBM PC and deleted files that looked like extra stuff to me, then on reboot, it was unusable! When I was totally new to computers!

Latitude
Banned user
Banned user

Unread postby Latitude » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 12:23

Maybe, the ONLY solution to remove Windows 10 bloatware is using MSMG ToolKit:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... olkit.html

But, the drawback is that this tool may break your OS especially if it is an up-to-date OS and it should be applied ONLY in older builds of Windows 10.

And yes, it would remove the telemetry.
Last edited by Latitude on Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 17:28

From TheVerge : Microsoft to ‘warn’ Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17850146/microsoft-windows-10-chrome-firefox-warning

Microsoft is getting ready to warn Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox. The software giant is in the final stages of testing its Windows 10 October 2018 Update, and testers have spotted a new change that appears when you try to install a rival web browser. “You already have Microsoft Edge – the safer, faster browser for Windows 10” says a prompt that appears when you run the Chrome or Firefox installers on the latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

Dang, they have insulted Pale Moon by not including us, don't we count? :lol:
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Isengrim
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Isengrim » Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 17:48

How exactly does this not violate anti-trust laws, again?
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 18:28

TwoTankAmin wrote:Dang, they have insulted Pale Moon by not including us, don't we count? :lol:

You missed the drop down menu. ;)

I.E.
Chrome
F.F.
Vivaldi
Iridium
Maxthon
Cyberfox
Waterfox
Pale Moon
Basilisk
Avant
Lunascape
Rockmelt
Slim Browser
Deepnet Exporer
K-Meleon
Amaya
Midori
Browse3D
Shenzbrowser
Crazybrowser
Smart Bro
Bitty Browser
Safari
XB Browser
Sleipnir
Comodo Dragon
Comodo IceDragon Browser
SRWare Iron Browser
CoolNovo
QupZilla
Opera
Epic Privacy Browser
Citrio
Slimjet
Coowon
BaiduSpark
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Tomaso » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 22:34

Microsoft automatically installs six bloatware apps onto every Windows 10 PC, even after a clean install:
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... 0-install/
With Windows 10, a clean install stays that way for about two minutes, because the second you hit the desktop, the Microsoft Store immediately starts trying to download third-party apps and games.
And these apps keep trying to install themselves even after you cancel the downloads.

RavAshi
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread postby RavAshi » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 14:36

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/1794 ... ate-paused

Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after reports of documents being deleted

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 02:08

RavAshi wrote:https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after reports of documents being deleted

Man, there's nothing like being M$ guinea pig for untested updates!
If their trying to convince me to upgrade, there doing a miserable job of it. :wtf:
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Cassette
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby Cassette » Sat, 13 Oct 2018, 10:29

What I do and what I recommend to anyone who is forced into using Windows 10 for whatever reason, change your update setting from the Semi-Annual (Targeted) to simply the Semi-Annual channel. It will delay those major updates for 2 to 3 months after they're distributed to the targeted people. Let everyone else be the guinea pig for those releases.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 20:41

I wasn't sure whether this threda or a Linux thread was the right place to post this. It is an interesting read from Forbes.

How Linux Is Changing The Face Of End-User Computing
Post written by Jed Ayres
President and CEO of IGEL North Americaand Global CMO.

End-user computing (EUC) is changing quickly, and dramatically. In my work, I hear just how vital it is that organizations deliver better security, manageability and user experience every day. This is creating increasing pressure on the status quo of operating systems for end-user devices: Windows. And Windows simply can’t keep up with the requirements.

What you may not know is that this pressure is also giving rapid rise to the broad use of Linux on endpoint devices. In fact, according to a new IDC InfoBrief, Linux is the only endpoint operating system (OS) growing at a global level. (Full disclosure: IGEL sponsored the report.) While Windows market share remains flat, at 39% in 2015 and 2017, Linux has grown from 30% in 2015 to 35% in 2017, worldwide. And the trend is accelerating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/10/09/how-linux-is-changing-the-face-of-end-user-computing/#1d33c2cd4f15
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 05:25

Those numbers (30% on Linux? They wish!) are skewed because they are obviously counting in any Linux-based O.S., including all Android phones. As such it just shows a fluctuation of mobile devices in use running Android and derivatives.
"End user computing" is a very vague and broad term. If you want to make a real comparison then looking at devices where you actually have a choice of OS is the way to go; start with desktops only. Your Linux percentage will suddenly be a lot less, and won't be making strides.

Very misleading article if you ask me.

Off-topic:
Also.. this is post 1800 in this thread. wow!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 11:38

Here is another article about the problems Microsoft is having with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. And the public comments after the article, lots of comments, are quite telling in my opinion.

The article came out on October 23rd.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/2 ... 10_crisis/
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Isengrim
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Isengrim » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 12:53

Night Wing wrote:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/23/microsoft_windows_10_crisis/

Firstly, reintroduce dedicated testers. Don't rely on automation and the crowd – that clearly isn't working. Raise the prestige of testers in the company. Secondly, repurpose the Insider programme – reclassify it as a fan club. Anything, really. It's not a substitute for professional testers. And thirdly, slow down. The rush to bring immature software to market has clearly deteriorated software quality. Are annual releases such a bad thing? Or even delaying the software until it's actually ready?

It's always refreshing to read someone that "gets it". Agile development and crowdsourced testing have their places for quickly providing bugfixes and responding to end-user feedback. But reliance upon these paradigms as be-all end-all solutions for development has completely destroyed software vendors' reputations for the stable, bug-free, and consistent products that their users desire and in some cases require. Microsoft (and many other companies) have failed their users in this regard.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby TwoTankAmin » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 15:40

Off-topic:
Also.. this is post 1800 in this thread. wow!

Well Microsoft has become a hot stock over the recent past. But the reason is not because of the individual Windows users. Their big success has not been driven by Windows 10 for end users and especually not by the Edge browser of the Bing search. It is driven by enterprise, by the office suite and hugely by cloud services. As far as I can tell the main generator of income from individual users of Windows 10 comes from data taken from them and used for advertising? I have no clue how they are doing with their apps.

They release earnings after the market closes today. Here is a good read by Troy Wolverton on Business Insider about where they are making their money and where they are headed.
Microsoft's cloud transformation has it on track to be the next $1 trillion company
https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-q1-2019-earnings-preview-2018-10

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Tomaso » Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 12:54

Windows 10 — 1990s Edition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2m_PjJRds4

Return to “General discussion”