Windows-Java 8 Update 40-Be Careful

General discussion and chat (archived)
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Windows-Java 8 Update 40-Be Careful

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-07, 00:26

I've got four computers. Three of them have two hard drives each. I noticed Java went to update 40 from 31. One of my dersktops didn't like Java 8 Update 40. After installing it, Windows failed to boot. I thought maybe the hard drive was bad, maybe the motherboard got fried somehow or more likely, this particular desktop computer didn't like Update 40.

Since it wouldn't boot to the desktop, I went into Safe Mode and got to my desktop. Going into Programs & Features, it was still there, but it wouldn't uninstall. I got an error prompt. I had to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of Update 40.

Re-installed Java 8 Update 31 and re-started the desktop tower computer. No problems on the re-start. But to be on the safe side, I re-started the computer three more times and no problems.

But, sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment. I uninstalled 31 and re-installed 40 and couldn't boot to the desktop (again). I had to do the Safe Mode thing again, along with Revo Uninstaller to uninstall 40 and then re-install Update 31 (again).

All of my other Windows computers have no problem with Java 8 Update 40, but this particular desktop doesn't like Update 40. So be careful of Java 8 Update 40 for Windows.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Re: Windows-Java 8 Update 40-Be Careful

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-03-07, 01:17

We take note of your trouble, but please add the specs of your troublesome system so people can know if they have a "winner" too. Thank you!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-07, 01:30

The "main" specs of this particular 5 year old desktop tower computer are:

Model: HPE-170t Intel (Iona)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, SP1 operating system
Intel Core i7, 860 dual core processor, 2.80 Ghz
16 GB DDR3-1333Mhz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] memory
1 TB, 7200 rpm SATA 3Gsb/s Western Digital hard drive
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
1 GB Nvidia GeForce GT 220 (DVI, HDMI, VGA) graphics card
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-03-11, 11:42

Didn't have issues with update 40. A problem with Java installation is that it doesn't remove the previous version(s) and you've got two (or more) Java versions installed which could cause problems. Uninstall the previous version manually, preferably before installing the new one. More info here.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-11, 14:03

I always remove any software manually via Programs & Features. I don't use internal updaters anymore. I've got burned a few times doing so, so I've learned my lesson the hard way. Since the manually way didn't work, I had to remove version 40 using Revo Unistaller.

But, like I said in my original post, Java Update 8 version 40 borked my Windows 7 a "second" time so it wouldn't boot to the Desktop on this particular computer. Had to use Revo again and had to re-install version 31.

There is something in version 40 which this computer running Windows 7 doesn't like. I'll have to wait until Java 8 version 48 is released, install it and then hope 48 doesn't bork my Windows 7. If it does, then I'll have to re-install Windows 7 and all the programs I now use on Windows 7. Before I install 48, I'll back up all my files, favorites, etc..............just in case I run into the exact same problem. In other words, I've already planned ahead.

Not looking forward to re-installing Windows 7 so I'm hoping version 48 doesn't cause me a headache on this particular computer.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-03-11, 14:08

Seems a bit strange though, but not impossible of course. Are you sure that's not a particular Java application you have that is involved in the startup process, doesn't like v40 and causes the problem?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-11, 14:49

I own 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). They're all around the same age too (2010 & 2011 year models). They're all setup "exactly" the same too using the same settings, programs, files, favorites, etc, for each computer.

In System Configuration (msconfig), under the Startup tab, everything is the same for each of my four computers with regards to what's running program wise at startup (boot).

One silver lining could come out of this if I have to do a re-installation. I haven't re-installed a straight 64 bit Windows 7 on this particular computer in two years so doing a re-installation would make it run like the day I bought it without all the bloatware programs which came along with it.