Interesting review of FF 36- and comments

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Interesting review of FF 36- and comments

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2015-02-28, 04:47

I ran across this UK site reviewing the recent FF ver. 36 upgrade. it wasn't all that interesting until I clicked on the comments at the end. There are 24 of them. the 22nd one down mentions pale moon. I got a kick out of most of the comments as well.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/02/26/mozilla_swats_17_bugs_in_firefox_36/
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Interesting review of FF 36- and comments

Unread post by satrow » 2015-02-28, 05:11

Gotta love the El Reg Commentards :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-28, 09:29

Since I'm looking at the sec bugs now, I can say that a fairly large number of the critical bugs mentioned (e.g. the MP4 one) are not even present in Pale Moon, to begin with :)
A number of them seem to be caused by removal of previously-in-place sanity checks as part of their "refactoring of code", opening up new bugs while shuffling things around without knowing exactly what every line does and why it's there.

I can't share details, I'm afraid, but suffice it to say that of the rather long list of security advisories in FF36, very few apply to Pale Moon. They do, however, point out some areas where I have been able to add some defense-in-depth (aka "just in case it becomes a problem with future code changes") as a result.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Max1964

Unread post by Max1964 » 2015-02-28, 19:11

FF 36 is the reason why I switched to Pale Moon.

I do not need Chat, SMS, MMS, share Videos or tabs to other; also I do *not* need spyware as loop-service, app-service, geolocation, data- and healthreporting and more.

in my further opinion FF36-Users will get soon security Problems if they did not block the connection from "Hello".

Thanks a lot for Pale Moon! Mozilla at its best :mrgreen:

TELVM

Unread post by TELVM » 2015-02-28, 23:14

... The ui vandalism is up there with win 8 ...

... They've evolved the ui past useless into wtfville ...
^ Epic!!! :mrgreen: