The Pale Moon Appreciation Thread.

General discussion and chat (archived)
MozillaUser233

The Pale Moon Appreciation Thread.

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2012-05-01, 00:04

Well, PM12 has been released.

PM12 does indeed, for me, feels much quicker than PM11.. I've got lots of CSS styles along with lots and lots of extensions. It is very noticable how much quicker it is.

Dropping by to Thank Moonchild and his development team for the new wonderfully release of PM12. 8-)

Since there isn't a appreciation thread "that I know of", I've created this one.

Drop by to show your appreciation! :D

dark_moon

Re: The Pale Moon Appreciation Thread.

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-01, 00:30

I test PM x86 and x64 in the portable version against Firefox 12 x86 and here my results:

Test (bigger is better) http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/bench ... 7/run.html
FX Score: 6169
PM x86 Score: 6851
PM x64 Score: 5422

Test (less is better) http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html
FX:260.3ms +/- 1.4%
PM x86: 238.3ms +/- 5.3%
PM x64: 246.8ms +/- 0.5%

Test (bigger is better) http://dromaeo.com/?dromaeo
FX: 473.52runs/s (Total)
PM x86: 490.99runs/s (Total)
PM x64: 472.32runs/s (Total)

Test (bigger is better) http://dromaeo.com/?dom
FX: 904.46runs/s (Total)
PM x86: 1345.74runs/s (Total)
PM x64: 1226.53runs/s (Total)

Test (bigger is better) http://dromaeo.com/?jslib
FX: 183.29runs/s (Total)
PM x86: 220.30runs/s (Total)
PM x64: 186.71runs/s (Total)

So you see, palemoon x86 (32bit) win in every test.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-05-01, 02:41

Count me in as another happy camper with Pale Moon. :D
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Triton

Unread post by Triton » 2012-05-01, 08:25

I thought this would be the ideal place to make my first post ! So Hello to everyone, and thanks to MoonChild for the PaleMoon project.

Have only been using PM for several days, previously tested Waterfox but wasn`t particularly impressed although there was nothing wrong with it as such.....

I was more impressed with the ideals of PaleMoon and not strictly & slavishly adhering to the constant "features" that the Fox team seem to be churning out....features, most of which get turned OFF by me as soon as they release them ;)

I don`t like the way the Fox is progressing, and while I`m 100% in agreement of making things more secure and faster, uneccessary interface changes and useless features that seem to be implemented just for the sake of it, or just to keep up with the Joneses I find annoying and uneccessary...

so Pale Moon appeared to be the logical choice to move onto, I`ve only been using PM for several days but I have already felt comfortable enough to completely remove the Fox from my pc already :thumbup:

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-05-01, 20:24

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I love Pale Moon! Thanks Moonchild! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D = VERY HAPPY USER!

lencoth

Unread post by lencoth » 2012-05-01, 21:42

I'd like to congratulate you on your decision not to follow Firefox's rapid release schedule and build on the stable basis of version 12. Also, I applaud you for not going down Firefox's unfortunate "Web OS"/"Metro"/"Desktop integration" tangent and stick to what we really want, a first-class browser. Many thanks for providing this thus far.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-01, 22:36

Just dropping by here to say THANK YOU for starting this thread and voicing your appreciation for the work that goes into this project.
It is a good counterweight for all the people who complain all the time about a free product ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-01, 23:16

Moonchild wrote: It is a good counterweight for all the people who complain all the time about a free product ;)
Heh, you could give some people money and they would complain about how the notes were folded. :D

I have been a Firefox supporter and user for the last 6 years but the rapid release cycle and constant changes I feel are just unnecessary and often released to the stable version just for the sake of change. I have vaguely looked at Pale Moon a few times but now I have it installed and set up I am impressed, I will run it for the next few weeks as my default browser and see how we get on together.

niteshade
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by niteshade » 2012-05-02, 13:56

MozillaUser233 wrote: Drop by to show your appreciation! :D
Done. :thumbup:

Thanks Moonchild for the generous contribution of your time and talent to the Internet community.

Evil Moo

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2012-05-03, 16:03

Yes indeed. I have been using Pale Moon as my default browser since around version 4 and can say that I am very satisfied with it. :)
It is a shame I didn't find it sooner than I did after the Firefox release of version 4. It would have saved me some time looking for the status bar add-on that I was pleasantly surprised to find already part of Pale Moon. At that point I could tell that this would be a good choice of browser for me, for more than just the increased performance.

Thanks a lot for your continued efforts and your refreshing alternative approach to the direction of this browser's development.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2012-05-03, 19:41

Yip, another happy PM user here :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-03, 21:53

Yay! Lots of Pale Moon fans! :D

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-05-06, 19:45

lobocursor wrote:Yay! Lots of Pale Moon fans! :D
That is very good! Thanks for all the support you do in addition to making the browser! :D

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2012-05-22, 20:32

Thank you, Moonchild and the development team for the latest wonderful release of 12.1 :D .

dv8cowboy

Unread post by dv8cowboy » 2012-05-23, 08:24

Thank you Moonchild for all you have done! ;)
...Pale Moon both x86 and 64 are fantastic!

-Cowboy

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-05-27, 16:51

Didn't I start this thread? :P

Just dropping by to show appreciation for the Pale Moon 12.1 builds. The smooth scrolling feature is perfect as it is (performs well with different mice). The new edited buttons and their colors/contrast are a nice touch and give the gui a bit more character. Very good, thanks for all the effort!

MozillaUser233

Unread post by MozillaUser233 » 2012-06-08, 17:03

Thanks for today's update!

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-09, 07:39

Wow Moonchild, PM 12.2 is really great :D

quite a lot of smoothness overall in all aspects of the browser. Thanks a lot.

Edit: any estimate of how many people are using palemoon / no. of downloads so far?

darco

Unread post by darco » 2012-06-09, 17:22

Just wanted to say thank you. I was looking all over for programs and suggestions on how to make the latest version of firefox look like 3.6. I didn't want to update. I found Pale Moon in the comments section of some of the complaints and thought I would give it a try. I love it so far. Thanks again.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-06-09, 19:02

My contribution:

Pale Moon effing rocks. :thumbup: