Alternative to DuckDuck go suggest addons?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Joel Cairo

Re: Alternative to DuckDuck go suggest addons?

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-07, 22:12

I just watched 'Under The Dome', i.e. by Chai Jing, not Stephen King. Powerful film! Afterwards I thought I'd Google it and see what the latest is re: the Chinese Govt. taking it offline (still on YouTube, off course, but I guess the Great Firewall takes care of that). Only, having recently inadvertently deleted my cookies (I keep two - for Ixquick and DuckDuckGo) my browser search was set to DDG. Normally I have Ixquick my home page and Google as the browser search engine: on the rare occasion the Ixquick results are unsatisfactory I do 'Search Google for <in this case> Under The Dome'. Only it was 'Search Duck Duck Go for <etc>' for the above-mentioned reason (and having to reset preferences).

I hadn't actually searched Ixquick - yet - having done the Copy/Search from the BBC News page, so DDG was the first: page one, nothing but references to Stephen King's story!

So I switched the browser search to Google: top result, news about the Chai Jing film!

Then I did - for the sake of comparison - an Ixquick search: page one, nothing but references to the Stephen King story. <sigh>

Anyway, I'm still glad that Pale Moon's default search is not Google. Or Yahoo. Or (god forbid!) Bing. Or Ask...Or Jeeves, if that one's still alive!

I will keep an eye on DDG. Maybe I'll set it as the home page in Linux.