CNET's monetizing turned opt-in

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

CNET's monetizing turned opt-in

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-27, 08:10

Today, I received an e-mail from CNET, even though my account SHOULD have been removed completely already (-> classifies as SPAM)

Aside from that, though, it seems they are now making the "download wrapper" and "opt-in revenue sharing" kind of deal, probably after the flak they received about bundling things with every piece of software by default. It doesn't make the bundling, or "offers" as they call it, any better, of course, but at least they are being a bit more upfront about it, and actually willing to share some (probably a very small percentage) of what they are paid by piggybacking software vendors.

FYI: the letter I received (with grammatical errors as included :P and yes, not even personally addressed so a mass mailing to a harvested list instead of using proper mail merge):
Hi,

CNET Download.com now has a new program designed to help publishers monetize downloads on CNET Download.com called SpotInstall.

The benefits are:
1) Developer can track life cycle of software -> start of download click > download completion > start of installation > completion of installation on their machines
2) Users can start and pause and restart download/install
3) Developer can earn revenue by providing an offer to their users, where the users can choose to Accept or Decline
4) Developer don't need to do anything except to sign-up. Similarly to AdSense, we'll take care of bundling and monetizing for you.
5) You can always opt-in and opt-out at anytime.

You can sign up for this program here. Once you have signed up, I can work with you to get started.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Jenny

--

Jenny Op't Holt
Associate Partner Manager
CNET Download.com
T 415-344-2775
235 2nd St, San Francisco, CA 94105
The link (removed) takes you to a simple sign-up form with terms and conditions that bind you to a full NDA for 3 years related to any and all information associated with the program. The "stub installer" they rolled out in July last year, according to the documentation up now, was a "test" (right...) on a "limited number of windows applications". Excuse me for being very skeptic here :eh:
Basically, they are trying to cover their asses now by offering it as an opt-in, with no details before you sign up and agree to the NDA about exactly how much revenue you're talking about. Considering their payment threshold is low ($10) for this stub installer agreement, it's probably peanuts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Re: CNET's monetizing turned opt-in

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-28, 01:57

Actually for that manners with the CNET people, I did choose for move to other websites like filehippo and never come back. Sometime in the past CNET was the place to go for get software but now is just another ho-hum corporate website with too much ads and sniffers.