Time to cut my losses. Pale Moon - you're out.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Drake Jones

Time to cut my losses. Pale Moon - you're out.

Unread post by Drake Jones » 2014-12-21, 19:59

Boys, I really went to bat for you in the blogs. I sang your praises high and low. I am really disappointed that you've failed to rise to the challenge of maintaining a Firefox-compatible browser for more than just a few releases. Now, I think it's time to call Pale Moon what it is: "a good try", and move back to Firefox. It makes me heartsick to do it; Mozilla screwed us all, but I think you were overly ambitious and the apparently never-to-be-resolved "tbd" issues with browser add-ons is just unacceptable. Just sad.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Time to cut my losses. Pale Moon - you're out.

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-12-21, 20:16

There is always some loss which can not be avoided when trying to become independent. The only chance for total add-on compatibility would have been to use an Australis code base, and this is what Moonchild and most of Pale Moon's users want to avoid and are willing to make bigger or smaller sacrifices.

Just a sidenote - if you really need 100% add-ons comptibility - you do not have to go to Firefox, you could take a look to Seamonkey or Cyberfox which are enabling you also to use newer add-ons.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-12-21, 20:18

See ya. Thanks for the flame-out and not posting any specific issues that you were having. Thanks too for never posting any calls for help. Finally, have fun with FireFox, or what's left of it.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2014-12-21, 21:09

Well, Drake Jones, after reading your post I was gonna type basically what x-15a2 did. So let me just repeat his post, w/o re-typing or quoting it.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-12-22, 03:34

@Drake Jones:
Internet is free to use as you need, even us need to use some browsers like Microsoft Internet Explorer or even Opera for made things done. If you don't like this browser, you are free to change to any app that works for you. But please do not come here and bomb post like this one. This just waste time that would be used for help users that want to use this browser.

Hence I will lock this thread and you won a warning.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-22, 11:33

One additional remark to this thread: The browser-side compatibility has not changed. What has come out in the wash with the recent change has been extensions that cannot properly handle the new GUID - which is something to be fixed by extension developers. If you become impatient about this, then you should address the developers of the extensions who are the direct cause of incompatibility with a new application ID on the market.

Why is progress slow? Simple: Each extension is written by a different person, written with individual coding background in different disciplines and written for individual, specific tasks. As a small add-ons developer team, reverse engineering each extension to determine what the cause of an incompatibility is, is a very large task that cannot be rushed. The slowness on the extension developer side is also understandable if you keep in mind that extensions in general are written by people in their spare time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite