chreid

Yandex Alpha

Unread post by chreid » 2014-11-28, 21:27

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Yandex Alpha

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 21:42

Seems like we now have a Russian equivalent of Google Chrome.. Not my cup of tea.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-11-28, 22:48

The mimimalistic Yandex browser appeals to me like................death and more taxes. :thumbdown:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-11-29, 10:24

Honestly, I do not get what type of discussion you want to start in this thread. Yandex browser isn't targeting the same audience as Pale Moon, for many people in multiple ways. At least Yandex tries to take marked share away from Google which is something good. And one can be pretty sure that they do not spy for the NSA and other US secret services, not saying that they won't spy for Russian secret service :D. In the means of diversity that is great.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-29, 11:21

Conclusion based on the GHacks article:
It's missing essential interface elements. the video tries to make these elements as "unnecessary" and even showing an infobar with an essential choice. That's required info! You want every site to know everything about you because you're not asked for confirmation? Then well, maybe Yandex is for you. :)

Essential security problems too with this interface:
In the Yandex browser, you don't see an address bar - meaning you also don't see the domain, and security indication is limited to a simple padlock. So, say, your connection gets hijacked when you go to your favorite eMoney provider, and is redirected to a different host over SSL. You see the padlock, assume you are in the right place, and disclose your credentials because you can't see that the domain is actually different and incorrect... ding dong - your money's gone...

I can see the appeal for some people "at first glance" though - the same reason Prism and LightSpeed are concepts that have been given serious thought. But if you actually have to use the browser for the wide variety of sites out there (not just a few big name sites) that are not "web apps", then it becomes limiting not having any controls or settings.

EDIT: Yandex also doesn't have smooth scrolling :P So much visual friction -- and their video shows smooth scrolling of pages -- so they faked that for the video?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-11-29, 18:46

I have to say i like the concept somehow :D Tabs at the very bottom, i have that too in Seamonkey. While i would not use something like that as a main browser (no customization = instant suck) i could still see some use for it as secondary browser for pages of which Pale Moon has trouble with - aka Youtube 1080P videos :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-29, 20:42

Sajadi wrote:I have to say i like the concept somehow :D Tabs at the very bottom, i have that too in Seamonkey. While i would not use something like that as a main browser (no customization = instant suck) i could still see some use for it as secondary browser for pages of which Pale Moon has trouble with - aka Youtube 1080P videos :D
Yandex, just in case you found Metro Style Browsers too complex to use!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-11-29, 21:28

Sajadi wrote:i could still see some use for it as secondary browser for pages of which Pale Moon has trouble with - aka Youtube 1080P videos :D
Off-topic:
I have no problems viewing any YouTube video in 1080P whether I'm using version 25.1.0, 32 bit Windows Pale Moon or 64 bit linux Pale Moon.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-11-29, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-29, 21:39

Night Wing wrote:
Sajadi wrote:i could still see some use for it as secondary browser for pages of which Pale Moon has trouble with - aka Youtube 1080P videos :D
Off-topic:
I have no problems viewing any YouTube videos in 1080P whether I'm using version 25.1.0, 32 bit Windows Pale Moon or 64 bit linux Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
I would really like to develop an ietab LIKE plugin to interface with a webkit/blink embeddable component for that junk so in the RARE instance I need ridiculous junk like MSE I can just click something in my status bar and switch rendering engines.. As well it would be a great dev testing tool.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-11-29, 21:46

Off-topic:
That would be a good idea Tobin