If you decide NOT to leave...

General discussion and chat (archived)
panos

If you decide NOT to leave...

Unread post by panos » 2014-11-02, 12:48

---
Last edited by panos on 2014-11-05, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: If you decide NOT to leave...

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-11-02, 12:54

panos wrote:But you are getting a "a nudge to move on" a direction you don't want to take, what do you do ?
There is a Pale Moon Intel Atom build available which should work under XP. To make it even more easier to find:

http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-11-02, 17:24

That's not a link to the Atom version; that's a link to Tobin's XP build (which would be better if the OP doesn't have an Atom processor). I believe Tobin's build will have an EOL sometime in 2015. But yes, the Atom version will run on XP.

Here's the link for the official Atom build: http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-02, 20:42

What do you do? You keep reading until you reach the second header "what are my alternatives?" and your choices are right there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-11-03, 03:06

panos wrote:But you are getting a "a nudge to move on" a direction you don't want to take, what do you do ?
Short answer: Windows XP will be supported at least until Mid 2015 so no worries.

Long answer: MS Visual Studio will not provide support (read updates) for programs compiled for Windows XP (Windows NT 5.x) after Mid 2015. So if a mayor bug shows there will be no way to patch it and made safe programs anymore.

Sad note:
Just be aware that we are more in risk, my XP partition died when I installed a version of Shark 007 codecs and a toolbar tried to install by force. With Commodo AV/Firewall + Malwarebytes installed and working! It messed up the internet connection settings until no point to restore. So even if I had used Windows XP since 2003 now I needed to run to Windows 7. :(

panos

Unread post by panos » 2014-11-03, 08:20

I'll just stick with Palemoon 24. Even if I decide to switch back to Firefox for security reasons in the future, I'll keep good old Palemoon in a virtual machine.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-11-03, 17:43

panos wrote:I'll just stick with Palemoon 24. Even if I decide to switch back to Firefox for security reasons in the future, I'll keep good old Palemoon in a virtual machine.

There is no need for doing so. The Atom version is not weaker or more limited as compared with the normal Version. You can switch without worrying at all :) Was testing it on my old XP machine, works flawless :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-04, 00:07

Well, since people apparently take offense to the way I worded the page initially, I've tried to make it more "accommodating" for people who might be upset and take what is meant lighthearted as an insult.
It was never my intention to upset anyone by stating that it actually is time to move on from an almost one and a half decade old operating system. No matter how good XP is at what it does, there's really only so much you can stretch it, and technology really has advanced to the point where it will simply no longer keep up.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2014-11-04, 17:31

If you're still running on XP you're clearly not overly concerned about continuing security. With that being the case, install the last version that worked for you on XP and keep it there. There's no reason that version will suddenly become worse than it was when it came out. It's just less desirable and less secure than the newer versions. In light of that, if you're still running XP, you really don't seem to be too interested in newer things anyways.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-04, 17:46

gi_jimbo wrote:If you're still running on XP you're clearly not overly concerned about continuing security. With that being the case, install the last version that worked for you on XP and keep it there. There's no reason that version will suddenly become worse than it was when it came out. It's just less desirable and less secure than the newer versions. In light of that, if you're still running XP, you really don't seem to be too interested in newer things anyways.
Hmm.. so.. creating PM4XP is entirely pointless?

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2014-11-04, 18:10

As long as you can still find a download for the last version that worked on XP... I'd say yeah it's pointless. That's just my POV though; I'm sure I don't speak for everyone still using XP.

If I (emphasis on 'I') ever put XP on a machine again it will be on an old computer with old hardware for the sole purpose of playing some of my favorite old games that were programed to recognize said old hardware (GeForce FX series). :geek: I doubt I'd even connect the computer to my network, much less browse the internet with it. I've got my phone, linux machine and windows 7 machine at work to do that with.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-04, 19:47

The "last version that worked on XP" is 25.0.2 Atom/WinXP, or alternatively the PM4XP 3rd party builds. Yes, they are available from the main website.

panos

Unread post by panos » 2014-11-05, 10:27

Administrator notice: user has left the building.
Last edited by panos on 2014-11-05, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-05, 11:55

panos wrote:Windows XP now is much more secure that it was a decade ago when Microsoft was still considering it their top recommendation and was fully supporting it.
That is, of course, ignoring the fact that new vulnerabilities aren't addressed. The first post-retirement critical flaw in XP was found the very same month it was retired (this April). Because of pressure (and money thrown at Microsoft by several large companies in the range of millions of dollars), Microsoft decided to patch it anyway "just this once", but you can expect more of this to happen, and I don't think it will be done this way again, especially not after mid next year when the last retail version of any NT5.x based OS (Server 2003) will be EoL.

Re: "obsolete", you don't understand "obsolete". Microsoft may state that "Windows 8 is considered modern/current" and may consider Windows 7 currently "deprecated" as an OS for new installations, but that does not make it "obsolete".
panos wrote:Your top recommendation is not only a budget issue. It's an environmental one as well.
:lol: If you're worried about re-purposing your hardware that's not supported by Win Vista or later, then switch to Linux or another OS. This is a non-argument.
panos wrote:I have a huge respect for Tobin, but his build process has an expiration date as well, so I don't see the point of upgrading to something that would require me to start working on making my addons compatible just to have to deal with the same lockout after a few months.
The Atom/WinXP version will continue to support Windows XP. If Tobin's version becomes EoL you can switch over to the Atom/WinXP version without any hassle, or you could choose to use it from the start right now.
panos wrote:you've decided to disassociate yourself with Firefox by going with a new browser ID and then you've decided to block the very people who had the singular characteristic you needed for supporting you on this: hard-headed XP users who have withstood all that nonsense about "moving on" to a slower, uglier and bloated piece of software for the last 5 years.
Any hard-headed XP users who think this is a problem and refuse to consider the Atom/WinXP version recommendation are welcome to switch to Mozilla Firefox at any time. Firefox will continue supporting Windows XP in their main-line builds.

Oh wait, that's right, that means you'd have to accept "that nonsense about 'moving on' to a slower, uglier and bloated piece of software" (the browser in this case). Rock and a hard place; I feel for you - but in the end that would be your own choice of situation due to the refusal stated above.

EDIT: tl;dr
You have an option. Use it, already.

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-11-05, 13:04

I'm wondering how long are certain software developers going to support Windows XP? I know that browsers and many antivirus software still support XP, but for how long? Are they going to give support even beyond Server NT 5.x EoL? Doesn't it consume extra resources supporting an OS that's EoL (i.e they have the time to support a decade old OS but not to concentrate on something more important... :evil: )? Or are they going to support it as long as it has a "significant" market share?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2014-11-05, 13:54

Locking this thread since the OP decided to both request deletion of their account as well as break the flow of this thread by unceremoniously deleting the content of their initial request and subsequent posts. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss something on a related note.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"