Tobin

General discussion and chat (archived)
Lunix

Tobin

Unread post by Lunix » 2014-10-30, 19:50

Just a thought. Rather than having to keep reminding people to just call you only by your surname, maybe you should change your forum username to just "Tobin". Then nobody will call you anything else because there'd be no first name on display for them to incorrectly choose. After all, Moonchild is just "Moonchild" here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Tobin

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-30, 20:03

Lunix wrote:Just a thought. Rather than having to keep reminding people to just call you only by your surname, maybe you should change your forum username to just "Tobin". Then nobody will call you anything else because there'd be no first name on display for them to incorrectly choose. After all, Moonchild is just "Moonchild" here.
I have considered it but then people would assume it is my first name. I just wish people would respect what I wish to be called. Though I have had aliases and nicknames before (mattcast_webmstr, ElKern4926, Khan Lawman, BinaryOutcast, etc) , I am just Tobin. It is what I call my self even in my own head. As possibly crazy as it could be considered.

There was a time referring to someone you don't know by their first name was considered rude. I know this is hardly the case anymore but I would prefer if people would just respect the desired form of address. Which formally is "Matt A. Tobin" and informally just "Tobin" no other form is proper except in rare occasions where my legal full name is required.

However, I have been ignoring when people do not and even despite me putting it into my signature.

When formally referring to Moonchild his desired form of address is M. C. Straver. Commonly he prefers to be called simply Moonchild. In the same way I have the same request. Personally, I always try and respect what the person wishes to be called be it a screen name, nick name, alias, their first name, their last name, whatever. I feel someone absolutely has the right to be known by their chosen form of address.
Off-topic:
Hey, be glad I don't request you call me Captain Tobin. I figured it was hard enough to get people to just call me Tobin so I didn't want to push it :P

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-08, 18:30

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Lunix wrote:Just a thought. Rather than having to keep reminding people to just call you only by your surname, maybe you should change your forum username to just "Tobin". Then nobody will call you anything else because there'd be no first name on display for them to incorrectly choose. After all, Moonchild is just "Moonchild" here.
I have considered it but then people would assume it is my first name. (...)
Perhaps you should change your forum username to "M.A. Tobin" (or "M. Tobin"), then. :think:
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-11-08, 23:13, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-08, 18:32

Antonius32 wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:
Perhaps you should change your forum username to "M. A. Tobin" (or "M. Tobin"), then. :think:
That would be considered improper use of my name. There are only two acceptable forms. "Matt A. Tobin" or just "Tobin".

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2014-11-09, 05:07

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Antonius32 wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:
Perhaps you should change your forum username to "M. A. Tobin" (or "M. Tobin"), then. :think:
That would be considered improper use of my name. There are only two acceptable forms. "Matt A. Tobin" or just "Tobin".
Two posts up you said:
Matt A Tobin wrote:When formally referring to Moonchild his desired form of address is M. C. Straver.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-09, 05:13

Lunix wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:
Antonius32 wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:
Two posts up you said:
Matt A Tobin wrote:When formally referring to Moonchild his desired form of address is M. C. Straver.
Hince the qualifier desired. My desired form of address for formally referring to me is Matt A. Tobin. However, informally I prefer just Tobin.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-09, 09:21

If you want to fully formally address me, it's Mr. M.C. Straver BASc. But I only really use that when it comes down to contracts/legal documents/business communication and the likes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ben557

Unread post by ben557 » 2014-11-09, 20:54

Do people really put Mr. behind their name in formal circumstances? I never knew that. :crazy:
Well, I know teachers do it, but isn't that only to be discerned from students?
My father always insists on being called Dr. <my last name>. I find that strange. Self-identity is an interesting topic.

Edit: is it to discern your gender, maybe; so they may refer to you as she or he? I'm just wondering why you do refer to yourself as 'Mr.' -- well, gender pronouns in language may be a reason.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2014-11-09, 22:33

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that his real name is Moon Child. (M.C.) :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-09, 22:38

Lunix wrote:I'm still coming to terms with the fact that his real name is Moon Child. (M.C.) :)
That isn't his real legal name..

ben557

Unread post by ben557 » 2014-11-10, 01:11

'Steve' or 'George' it must be!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-11-10, 02:37

Off-topic:
Better I hide my joke of Toobin, but is a cool arcade game. :lol:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-10, 09:33

Mr. pertains to gender, above. So, leaving that out it's M.C. Straver BASc.
The BASc (Bachelor of Applied Science) is my title to the current academic system -- if it wasn't for finances back in the '90s, it would have been MASc; I was pretty much ready to hand in my thesis, but simply ran dry of funds. Not that it matters in the end :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ben557

Unread post by ben557 » 2014-11-10, 22:33

Grooovy