Mixed Feelings ...

General discussion and chat (archived)
nana2

Mixed Feelings ...

Unread post by nana2 » 2014-10-25, 20:16

Added a "Firefox compatibility mode" selection in Options -> Advanced.
This mode is enabled by default (reluctantly so), because too many websites (including some very big players who, themselves, promote an Open Web...) still use very poor browser detection methods based on arbitrary User Agent string comparisons, not catering to alternative browsers, and the resulting user experience being poor (being presented with mobile site layouts, broken pages, or even being flat-out refused service because someone exercises freedom of choice for web browser used). This should alleviate most, if not all, issues with browser-discriminating websites.
The above was published with the release of 25.0.2. That created mixed feelings for me. Happy for the people who could not access some websites properly or not at all and had to be accommodated. At the same time very sad that Pale Moon could not cut all desired ties to Firefox. As we all know, it wasn't Moonchilds doing/fault. On one particular website PM showed as being Firefox 24.9. instead of *unknown* :( I would like to know if there are any other people out there who feel the same way as I do?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Mixed Feelings ...

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-25, 20:20

This GUI option being added just toggles the about:config pref.. As for the fact that it is default on again.. meh.. Sucks but I am not bothered with it. If you want to support your freedom to not have to do this then switch it back off and continue sending requests to webmasters to accommodate Pale Moon or just treat every browser the same.

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2014-10-25, 20:29

Perhaps I am getting too attached to Pale Moon browser just like I was in the past with Firefox. PM has been growing on me since I started using it. My previous avatar on this forum was a mix of PM and Fx. On the day of PM's v 25.0 release I chose the one you're seeing now, an independent PM.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-25, 20:31

I know exactly what you mean. For me, it is the last browser of its kind. It is one of the main driving forces to why I have shifted my efforts and dedicated so much time to the project.

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2014-10-25, 20:33

You're quite right on that Tobin. A well deserved big thank you for all what you do! :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-25, 20:37

nana2 wrote:You're quite right on that Tobin. A well deserved big thank you for all what you do! :thumbup:
The thanks is in the users. And of Course Moonchild. The soul of the beast is in all of us!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-25, 23:36

Well, I unchecked the compat mode (Options > Advanced) for Firefox in (25.0.2). It's easier for me to use the User Agent Overrider add-on for Google and then disable the Firefox setting in it when I leave any of the Google sites. So far, all the websites I visit work in 25.0.2 except for Google.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-10-26, 01:42

I think that this version is an example for "flex muscles" and see how websites and add-ons are prepared for the imminent trouble ahead: Firefox will force the web to play its act. The Australis UI and the drop support for non Australis add-ons are the first steps, Now firefox nanny sister what people download and people don't care. What will happen next?

Sadly several websites and add-on authors rely in Firefox "status-quo" and is a bad signal. There should be more support for independent browsers, not only Pale Moon. Back in the 1990s there were like 7 main browsers, in the university we liked Minuet, Lynx, NetScape and Mosaic for name some. Now is like the cola wars: Coke (Chrome) vs Pepsi (MISE) vs these local colas that few people care (the rest of browsers). And this is bad for the internet indeed.