Is OpenMailBox good, what's your opinion?

General discussion and chat (archived)
dp515

Is OpenMailBox good, what's your opinion?

Unread post by dp515 » 2013-11-09, 15:26

I recently found out about OpenMailBox. It was born with privacy and open source in mind.Has anybody tried it? Is it good? Can it be a replacement for gmail in the long term? Please give your opinion on this.
https://www.openmailbox.org/

dark_moon

Re: Is OpenMailBox good, what's your opinion?

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-10, 13:01

Website looks offline.
Didn't know about this site, but i can suggest https://anonbox.net

This is the anon email service from the CCC (Chaos Computer Club).
Realy good!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-11-10, 13:40

dark_moon wrote:but i can suggest https://anonbox.net

Realy good!
When I clicked on the link you suggested, in both Pale Moon and Firefox, I get the "this connection is untrusted" prompt.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-10, 14:40

Yes because they have their own certificate, but the site is trustful.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-11, 13:54

dark_moon wrote:Yes because they have their own certificate, but the site is trustful.
Self-signed certificates should not be trusted unless you actually made them yourself or were made by people you implicitly trust. Anyone can make a self-signed certificate in a minute without verification. What anonbox should do is get a free StartSSL certificate because they are running a public service. It's what I do with my secure servers for Pale Moon, and it confirms you're actually talking to the right server, verified by domain.

Of course a self-signed certificate is good to provide encryption only, so plus points for that, but for a public service you also need authentication of the certificate/domain.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-11, 17:03

Yes sure, but this email service is realy good and the createt email "accounts" are only avaiable for one day.

And @dp515: Your site is still offline.

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2013-11-11, 18:19

In which way is it better than the Mailinator?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-11, 18:52

It have a https connection, support for 4 languages, simple and is from the CCC :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-11, 19:24

So, which of these mentioned sites have "throw-away" temporary e-mail addresses so I can block them on the forum? All of them? :twisted:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-11, 19:27

dark_moon wrote:Website looks offline.
Didn't know about this site, but i can suggest https://anonbox.net

Realy good!
Anonbox.net wrote:Can you read the mail?

Quite frankly: Yes. There is no reason to trust us in what we cannot prove. Although we use https for you to fetch the mail and accept TLS secured smtp connections for the incoming mail, we store the mail in cleartext.
Have fun ;)

dp515

Unread post by dp515 » 2013-11-12, 05:29

dark_moon wrote:Yes sure, but this email service is realy good and the createt email "accounts" are only avaiable for one day.

And @dp515: Your site is still offline.
It works fine in my pc.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-11-12, 05:56

Moonchild wrote:So, which of these mentioned sites have "throw-away" temporary e-mail addresses so I can block them on the forum? All of them? :twisted:
If spam isn't a major problem and it isn't making you work overnight, I would actually recommend not blocking any of the domains -- instead, employ a spam filter that will block spammy content from being posted.

Anyway, if you think that nobody except spammers use these services, then, FYI, a spammer will be making his 60th post and apparently you (or anyone else on this forum) did not notice it ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-12, 11:58

access2godzilla wrote:If spam isn't a major problem and it isn't making you work overnight, I would actually recommend not blocking any of the domains -- instead, employ a spam filter that will block spammy content from being posted.
Spam is a major problem. I've had to put a number of anti-spam measures in place to make this forum not be a full day job weeding out the crap.

However, temporary e-mails are not a problem for spam, usually (spammers tend to use free e-mail services with a bad track record of dealing with spam, like aol.com -- but not throwaway ones). Rather, it's a problem for trolling and similar. Temporary e-mails are almost without fail used by people who want to cause trouble without being a target for the consequences. Things like starting flame wars, flooding boards with repeat/irrelevant posts, and other things that are simply disruptive to a community. Perfect example is the person flooding bugzilla recently with repeat, copy/paste blobs of swearing about Australis, posted from temporary e-mail accounts.

My approach for this forum is that it is a group of people, a community. Members of a community shouldn't have to hide behind anonymous IDs and temporary e-mails to try and make themselves untraceable. There's a living, breathing person at the keyboard, so you should act like one.

As for being a spammer... you haven't spammed THIS board, so you're fine... for now. :twisted: