about:mozilla

General discussion and chat (archived)
access2godzilla

about:mozilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-09-10, 16:53

Shouldn't PM discard about:mozilla and come up with about:palemoon or something like that?

And, of course, a change in the text is required: years have passed since "Mammon" became a follower of the beast. Now, the beast has become the follower of V8.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: about:mozilla

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-10, 17:20

Pale Moon is still powered by Mozilla. It's not my place to change that :) Credit where credit is due.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-21, 13:58

I do like the idea of an about:palemoon.

The Beast stumbled in the dark for it could no longer see the path. It started to fracture by trying to reshape it's self in the form of metal. The soul of the Beast seemed lost forever.
Then by the full moon's light a child was born, a child with the soul of the Beast who would make all others pale in comparison.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-09-21, 14:54

mattatobin wrote:I do like the idea of an about:palemoon.

The Beast stumbled in the dark for it could no longer see the path. It started to fracture by trying to reshape it's self in the form of metal. The soul of the Beast seemed lost forever.
Then by the full moon's light a child was born, a child with the soul of the Beast who would make all others pale in comparison.
Talk about "poetic justice". ;) Your comments are "right on brother, right on". :)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-09-22, 07:21

Wow, didn't know about this, surprised it's still there..
An About:Palemoon is an excellent idea.
Get some history in there! Some swipes at Mozilla! Heh.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-09-22, 07:56

I think there is no need for a about:palemoon
Pale Moon based on firefox/ mozilla, so about:mozilla is okay.

How much guys need this function or will see it? Don't make Moonchild work for useless thinks ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-22, 08:55

If I can't implement it in 5-10 minutes, it's not worth it ;)
If I can, it's a nice gag to have for the people looking for easter eggs!

PS: matt, OK if I borrow your poetry for inspiration? ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-26, 04:58

MC Sure why not.. Also call me Tobin.. Also if you can't figure it out in 5-10min.. then pull the traditional mozilla trope on it regarding patches :P

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-26, 06:26

All right, thanks, Tobin 8-)
And, most of the effort is finding which c++ source file to amend (yes, strangely enough, the about: redirector is done in c++ and not, what I would expect, in the browser front-end)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-26, 17:09

I have a theory on that. All URI Protocol handlers I think live in C++

But that doesn't exactly hold water (preceeding pun) because the about:kitchensink addon reimplemented THAT well via an addon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-26, 17:51

about: URLs just redirect to "real" documents with varying names - the main reason it seems to be in C++ is for access rights control.