Firefox 23 Installer is a comedian

General discussion and chat (archived)
ninaholic

Firefox 23 Installer is a comedian

Unread post by ninaholic » 2013-08-07, 13:02

I had this strange idea that Firefox 23 might be faster than before (I haven't used it for a long time), so I download the installer, and try clicking on it from the download manager, and... nothing happened. I try click again. Nothing happened. I think "maybe the download manager is broken", so I then go to "Open Folder" where the install exe file is, but just before I click on it from there, two windows randomly pop up saying "Do you wish to give this program permission to run", so I press "Yes" (apparently it takes over a minute to ask this installer permission, and I'm not running Antivirus software). Then I wait. Again, nothing happens. Isn't this installer supposed to do something? I try clicking Yes again, and this time a progress bar quickly flashes on the screen, and then... nothing happens. I check back 5 minutes later, and there is still no activity, and Firefox isn't installed, and there is no error message. Just a whole lot of nothing. It reminds me of exes that are a viruses, you click on them and you think nothing happens but then they mess up your computer.

Here is where I got bogus exe file from (The file is called "Firefox Setup Stub 23.0.exe" and it is 275Kb):
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new

Looks like the official site to me. I guess Mozilla doesn't want me to install Firefox? Fine with me. If the installer works this badly I doubt the browser will be very reliable for me also. I still have a copy of Palemoon 19.0.1 netbook version exe because I like it's simple installer better, and I installed that instead, which took less than 20 seconds in TOTAL. :lol:

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Firefox 23 Installer is a comedian

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-08-07, 17:10

Stub installers are worthless. Consider: Firefox and other browsers have atleast a theoretical method of pausing or suspending downloads. Why would I ever want to use a worthless stub. It is like downloading something to download something. When I could just download the full installer to have and it doesn't require a connection and separate file to download the other 25 megs.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Firefox 23 Installer is a comedian

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-08-07, 17:43

Ninaholic,

Yesterday, very early in the morning, I downloaded Firefox 23 (Stub) from the same Mozilla site from that link. I like to use installers instead of the internal updater. Unlike your experience, it installed. But, when I clicked on "About Firefox" under Help, the version box that popped up said I was running Firefox version..........."22". Even though it said version 22, when I saw the one tab in the Tab Bar which shouldn't have been there and I couldn't get rid of under Options, Tabs, I knew I had installed version 23.

No matter, after finding out I couldn't hide the Tab Bar anymore through "about:config", I uninstalled 23 and went back to 22.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox