Difference between the ZIP packed and Portable versions

General discussion and chat (archived)
shinerk

Difference between the ZIP packed and Portable versions

Unread post by shinerk » 2013-07-01, 15:41

Hi

Can anyone please tell me what is/are the difference/differnces between PaleMoon ZIP packed versions and PaleMoon Portable versions..

Are there any extra features in PaleMoon ZIP packed versions which are not featured in Pale Moon Portable versions.

PaleMoon ZIP packed versions stores its data in the normal user folders on the system (documents/settings or users folder) as mentioned on the site.

As of now, I am using Pale Moon Portable 20.2 on a Windows 8 Pro N with Intel Pentium Processor G2010 2.80GHz,2 GB Ram and I am very much impressed by the performance of PaleMoon browser.

Please update me on this.

Thanks

Shine

nat_smart

Re: Difference between the ZIP packed and Portable versions

Unread post by nat_smart » 2013-07-01, 17:47

with portable all palemoon profile will store on thumb drive. you can take it to run on any computer.
zip is as same installer but for easy to use and Interfere with registry a little. :wtf:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-01, 19:04

The ZIP packed version is a normal desktop browser. The settings are the same as the installer and the profile location is in c:\Users\ or c:\documents and settings. It is mostly made available for advanced users who want to unpack-and-run, update their browser with a manual copy operation, etc.

The portable browser is completely self-contained, and is set up to be used specifically (also through settings) on removable media (e.g. USB stick). Unlike the ZIP packed version, you can take this from computer to computer and have everything at your fingertips, since the profile is contained within the portable browser folder itself. Performance of the portable version is a bit less because it has settings specifically geared to slow a limited-life removable media, like the lack of a disk cache by default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

shinerk

Unread post by shinerk » 2013-07-02, 09:26

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work

In the next version would you be reworking on the icons rather than using the existing ones. I feel that it lacks enough color combinations. On a light blue background of the browser, you are using dark blue color for the Back,Home icons and green icon for the reload etc. Any chances of making the icons rich in color.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-02, 10:44

I'll keep the default icons restrained - if you want bright colors, I suggest you have a look around "complete themes" for Firefox.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite