Need Help with Playback of DVD Discs

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Need Help with Playback of DVD Discs

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-19, 21:28

I recently reinstalled XP SP3 on my computer. Updated Windows Media Player to version 11. Did all the necessary updates to the OS, Media Player, everything.

Now when I try to watch a DVD disc, WMP gives me this message:
Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
So I went to Device Manager and tried to update all the drivers that pertain to video / monitor and also the driver for the DVD drive. With every single one of them Microsoft gave me this message:
The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.
Anybody have any ideas what to do? If it matters, I use the LAV splitter and LAV video/audio codecs, via K-Lite Codec Pack. I went into the LAV video codec settings and unchecked the box "Enable DVD Video support" but that didn't change a thing.

BTW, music CDs play just fine.

steviem1

Re: Need Help with Playback of DVD Discs

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-03-19, 22:32

Sounds like it could be DVD playback codec problems. Also, are you trying to play original commercial DVD's or copies?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-03-19, 23:26

No release version of Windows comes with the ability to play DVD's, only pre-release versions or release versions from OEM's have this ability (3rd party codecs).

Install the freeware (and very good) VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc (or try the better PotPlayer http://www.dvbsupport.net/download/inde ... iew&id=230 and let us know if that does it ;) ).

EDIT: pretty sure this is the same Registry tweak that's been around since XP was released that reverted the DVD player setting to that of the Beta version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4aS3ibpMgM :mrgreen: if you want a quick fix.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-19, 23:56

I tried the registry tweak. I still get the same message. DVDs play on my wife's computer, which is an HP Compaq . . . I guess hers is an OEM version. If DVDs can play on an OEM version due to 3rd-party codecs why won't they play on mine when I manually installed 3rd-party codecs (K-Lite Pack)?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-03-20, 00:10

I'm not sure that the K-Lite pack includes a DVD codec (historically it didn't), VLC does, try that.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-20, 02:14

I'd probably be sold on VLC Player if I knew you could use it to rip audio CDs, along with album information. Can it?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-03-20, 02:39

Reasonably sure it can but I've not used it since I discovered PotPlayer. Anyway, you'd still have WMP for that, it's pretty difficult to uninstall it ;)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-03-20, 07:28

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and VLC are the best two media players.
If you use MPC (no install required) then download the standalone filters too. Then you can play all videos without install any codec or plugins.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-20, 07:47

I agree with dark_moon: if you install MPC and a codec pack that includes MPEG2, then you can play DVDs without issue. I personally use MPC+ K-Lite, since VLC for me has always had issues with being system-invasive and having particularly poor handling of downmixing audio to stereo.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-03-20, 08:13

No don't need codec's. Codec's can slow the whole system.
The filter for MPC what i write are only files which MPC then use. No install etc. need and its work great.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-20, 10:00

You do need codecs, because MPC does not come with codecs. If you have MPC and no codecs, you can't play many movies or DVDs. You need the MPEG2 codec to play DVDs and that is not included with the MPC player. Codecs in general do not slow down your system because they are only loaded when a program uses them. They are input filters for whatever player you use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-03-20, 10:09

No. I write it again: I mean filters, special for MPC.
Look: http://mpc-hc.org/downloads (Standalone filters)

With this filters you can play all formats without install anythink or using codecs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-20, 10:35

I wasn't aware that they wrote filters as well - so you may be right, even though they are all ActiveX filters, and you won't get the control you get with e.g. the FFMpeg decoder included in a codec pack. By the way, what you are pointing to are also codecs ;) just in a format native to MPC.

Accel

Unread post by Accel » 2013-03-20, 11:16

well, just used

MPC-HC + Lav Filters.

Lav filters is the most advanced filters as of now, because the developer (nevcairiel) is on top of his game and fix bugs found as soon as possible.. and for sometime now he had been working on splitter on MKV to replace haali.

you just need to install MPC -HC and insert LAV filters to external filter in MPC-HC

here's the thread on doom9
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-20, 13:09

What do you think a codec pack uses? K-lite gives you a choice per format to use lav/ffmpeg/libav where appropriate, that's why I use it.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-20, 15:08

I tried Media Player Classic but I only got sound. The screen was blank. Maybe I do need new drivers? But why does the MS wizard tell me then that it can't find any?
And I doubled-checked all my LAV settings. Everything's where it should be. This problem is really stumping me.

ADDED:
I see now where MC said to use MP-HC . . . I only tried the old MPC. Am now trying MP_HC.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-20, 15:26

Tried MP-HC and it works.

Off the topic . . .
Since this program doesn't install (is that the right way to state it?), does it make registry entries? And is there a way I can get it to show up in this list?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
Last edited by ron_1 on 2013-03-20, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-03-20, 16:08

MPC doesn't create registry entries.

Yes you can chose to use MPC for autoplay thinks. Look at windows startmenu - programmdefaults or so (don't know the exact translation for win xp)
Or you try this tool: Default Programs Editor

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-20, 16:44

Thanks! I got it showing up in that list.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-21, 08:29

Media Player Classic (not HC) is the very old branch of guliverkli - it's not likely to work properly on anything past WinXP, and will need all codecs installed separately for sure (what I hinted at before) a black screen and just sound means you're missing the decoder for video.