Have There Been a Lot of Extra Downloads of Pale Moon During the Last Day or So?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
CharmCityCrab

Have There Been a Lot of Extra Downloads of Pale Moon During the Last Day or So?

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-05-04, 21:10

I know Pale Moon intentionally doesn't do much in the way of telemetry. It's a (much appreciated) feature, not a bug (And I'm not using that phrase as a joke).

However, I would imagine that the number of downloads are at least kept track of, and that there is at least a count kept of how many browsers check in with the update servers. I think someone referenced that in the past when saying they estimated (at the time) that there were half a million Pale Moon users.

So, my question for anyone with access to those numbers is: Has there been a noticeable uptake in downloads of Pale Moon, or instances of Pale Moon requesting updates from the Pale Moon servers during the Firefox problems the last day or so?

I've got to imagine people are or were at least temporarily switching to something. I've seen images that suggest that searches for "Firefox alternatives" and the like on major search engines have skyrocketed. I'm just whether that's moving the meter with Pale Moon at all, or if almost everyone is just installing Chrome/something else.

As an aside, this might not be a bad time for Pale Moon to buy some short-term ads that come up when phrases like "Firefox alternatives" are searched for on major search engines. :) Just for the next week or so. If there's an ad budget that allows that sort of thing. If people are searching with versions of Firefox, their ad-block is probably disabled right now, so they'd see that ad. Granted, there are various hotfixes and such, official and unofficial, that people can implement, but not everyone has or will go that route for various reasons.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Have There Been a Lot of Extra Downloads of Pale Moon During the Last Day or So?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-04, 22:07

As stated many times we do NOT count downloads from our servers, nor do we know of downloads from mirrors other than our servers. We simply don't have those numbers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

krawottenjoe

Re: Have There Been a Lot of Extra Downloads of Pale Moon During the Last Day or So?

Unread post by krawottenjoe » 2019-05-05, 22:18

Just quickly jumping in to say "Bye FF, Hello PM!", after 20 years of Firefox it was time to say good bye for good, I don't like Chrome or Opera, thanks to all the developers of Pale Moon for making this great product, I can keep all the tools that I need, all runs comfortable and smooth, taaaa !

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-05-10, 16:43

krawottenjoe wrote:
2019-05-05, 22:18
Just quickly jumping in to say "Bye FF, Hello PM!", after 20 years of Firefox it was time to say good bye for good, I don't like Chrome or Opera, thanks to all the developers of Pale Moon for making this great product, I can keep all the tools that I need, all runs comfortable and smooth, taaaa !
and i thought my 10 years was impressive. speaking of which, can't believe i've been using Pale Moon for more than 5 years now..

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-05-21, 13:34

I do my part of 'support' , particularly during the latest 'faux pas' where ff stopped working! :D :D
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P