Nvidia GPU not active

General discussion and chat (archived)
mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Nvidia GPU not active

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2019-05-02, 13:02

This question exist in other post but never answered..

I have laptop with 2 GPU (Intel and Nvidia like many) I start PM 28.5 x64 portable W10 Pro workstation 1809 build 17763.437 with left mouse option "open this apps with this GPU" and I select Nvidia but when I check in the troubleshooting statut I see that nvidia GPU is not active where Intel GPU is ...

Whts wrong ?

thanks for help

pictures :
https://ibb.co/zPhPqrW
https://ibb.co/jWz7ZDW

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Nvidia GPU not active

Unread post by eskaton » 2019-05-02, 13:40

If you go into the NVIDIA Control Panel, click on Desktop in the menu bar, then enable "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area", does that show palemoon.exe? You can set palemoon.exe to use the NVIDIA gpu through the NVIDIA control panel, or you can use the built in Windows 10 route: https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

I have palemoon.exe configured via both options and my Troubleshooting screen shows the same as yours. However, if I use GPU-Z or the GPU activity in Task Manager, they show the NVIDIA gpu is being utilized when watching a video on YouTube for example. Moonchild has said for some time that these gpu combos on laptops are tricky and can't be fullly supported, or something to that affect. My guess is this is a symptom of that. Or it may be the system's way of reflecting that all video signals are actually being delivered via the Intel gpu; these sytems hand off the video processing to the other gpu, then the signal/data is sent back to the Intel gpu to display on the screen.

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2019-05-02, 14:20

Yes the Nvidia GPU activity show Palemoon... so is it palemoon issue or something else in their side...

This is what I'm looking to be sure my GPU tweaking is good. its done.

Thanks for that

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2019-05-02, 14:25

Moonchild, or someone else internal to the team, would have to speak to how/why the Troubleshooting page shows what it shows. However, if the browser shows as running on the NVIDIA gpu, then there's nothing else you need to do.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-02, 14:30

It's a hybrid setup. If the main desktop compositor is handled by the Intel chip, then Pale Moon will talk to the Intel driver and the Intel driver will offload tasks internally to the NV GPU. So there is no direct usage of the secondary GPU in that case -- which does mean you are somewhat limited in what Pale Moon can use of the NV chip, but that is a decision made by the system architects.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2019-05-02, 14:49

The architects builded my house but I add few other rooms since 1963 this house is builded ... lol :D :D :D

I understood perfectly what you said :silent: anyway the NV graphic utility show what I'm looking to know and for me its the same

Thanks to you all for your answers