Without Words...

General discussion and chat (archived)
Serpentine

Without Words...

Unread post by Serpentine » 2019-04-28, 11:56

screenshot2019-04-28--13-26-54.png
(screenshot, text says: " Today you are the happy visitor. Every Sunday we choose 7 Pale Moon users in order to give them the chance of winning an award. Turn the wheel in order to find out which award you can get.

Congratulations, Pale Moon User! You are one of lucky 7 Persons, who have been chosen for participation in the Pale Moon customer loyalty program. You have the chance to win one of four awards.

-->> Click OK!)

:wtf:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Without Words...

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-04-28, 12:27

User Agent sniffing at its finest. :lol:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-04-28, 12:29

Typical scam/spam campaign.. If you want to have some fun, check the origin IP of this Url and report it to the hosting company ;)

Seen from the look - most likely is also one of the campaigns which is also in relation to phishing/general spam mails in which a lot of forwarding domains are involved... and which can be used for multiple redirection purposes :D

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-04-28, 16:28

I got something like this a couple of months back. Made me a bit paranoid . . . but I won't go there. ;) It's harmless (probably).

Serpentine

Unread post by Serpentine » 2019-04-29, 10:17

So I have finally just learned from this thread (thousand thanks to gracious1 !) https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19024&p=165161&hilit=ublock+origin#p140212 that I am able to block these unwanted popup-ads indeed. I was still thinking there is no noscript in Pale Moon, and I had to bear it and wait whole minutes for all the giant scripting normal web pages use and transfer nowadays only for their ads.

But now there is peace in the box. Works like a charm. My Pale Moon doesn't crash anymore under the massive overload from ad-scripting and tracking/ping conntections generated from one or two single standard webpages. I will hopefully never get a pop-up like that funny thing I've posted above.

Yes, I *am* the happy Pale Moon user. And no, I didn't click that "OK" of course. :D

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-29, 12:44

I haven't run across this spam. Since I'm running linux Pale Moon, maybe that is the reason why I haven't seen anything like it (yet).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-04-29, 20:02

Night Wing wrote:
I haven't run across this spam. Since I'm running linux Pale Moon, maybe that is the reason why I haven't seen anything like it (yet).
It's got nothing to do with what OS a person's running. I use Linux and got something similiar to the OP.