Add-on to record the ins and outs of a browser

General discussion and chat (archived)
John connor

Add-on to record the ins and outs of a browser

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 08:54

I was just thinking. I use a couple of tools for my computer called Whatchanged and DiskPulse. These two programs monitor all the changes on your computer. With Whatchanged you can get registry changes as well as file changes. DiskPulse just monitors files. So I was thinking, what if an add-on could do something similar, but show what's happening inside the browser its self? That may help in trying to figure out why you have X, Y, or Z issue or if an add-on is acting up.

Whats say you?

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Add-on to record the ins and outs of a browser

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2019-05-13, 17:32

There are 2 or 3 related extensions by the same chap (I think, maybe,
"Chuck Baker"? But I'm reaching into the less will lit portion of my memory store room) that you can set up to automatically record and/or backup addons and pref settings. I haven't used them in a while, but you should be able to find them. I think one is called "OPIE".
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-05-13, 17:43

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
2019-05-13, 17:32
that you can set up to automatically record and/or backup addons and pref settings. I haven't used them in a while, but you should be able to find them. I think one is called "OPIE".
I think it is FEBE.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-13, 19:57

Both of those are just for backups, FEBE for extensions (and profile), and OPIE for extension settings. That won't help much in a live monitoring sense, although checking those files for differences could be some help. Diego Casorran had Preferences Monitor that would notify of changes to prefs, but it could get to be annoying.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-14, 03:04

Michaell wrote:
2019-05-13, 19:57
Diego Casorran had Preferences Monitor that would notify of changes to prefs, but it could get to be annoying.
This looks interesting. I'll check the Classic Add-ons extension and see if I can find it.

Edit-

Not sure if this is working. I changed a cache pref and I had no pop up notification on pref change. Also, my settings in this add-on aren't sticking.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-17, 21:24

I haven't used it in years; my last download was 2015. So, there could be problems now. Or it could be operator error! :P I believe there was a setting to disable notifications but they would still show in the Error Console IIRC. And if you edit in any exceptions, you have to be very careful to get the syntax exactly right.

You say you changed a cache pref -- how, about config or Preferences? Anyway, I'm not sure PrefMon was intended to report the ones you change; the purpose was to let you know of changes being made behind the scenes. I'd have to install it though to test that.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-20, 11:22

In about:config.