Did you know you could put the search bar anywhere?

General discussion and chat (archived)

Did you find this tip useful?

1. Yes
67%
2. No
33%

Total votes: 18

johnwaynegoodin

Did you know you could put the search bar anywhere?

Unread post by johnwaynegoodin » 2019-03-07, 16:14

TIP: Did you know you could put the search bar anywhere?

I've been using this trick for years when I need more room for my toolbars.

Years ago there were tons of apps and tips to resize your "Search Toolbar". I totally ditched then all then I discovered all I had to do is drag the search-bar just to the right of the Menu Bar. It just sets were longer than most folks will need in their entire lifetimes totally out of the way. I've got my Navigation Toolbar totally on its own line. Added the extension that shows your page load progress in the Navigation Toolbar so it looks way cool since it uses the entire width of your screen. You have a very good handle on what's bogging down your page loads too since it's shown to the right. Even when loading Pale Moons own Home page I can see clearly which element is chasing it to stall out near the end.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Did you know you could put the search bar anywhere?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-07, 22:00

I don't use the Search Toolbar. So I relegated it to my Customize Toolbar where it sits with all the other things I've removed.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2019-03-08, 00:00

I move it, along with everything else, to the menu bar.

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-08, 00:21

Night Wing wrote:I don't use the Search Toolbar [...] relegated it to my Customize Toolbar [...]
That makes two of us :geek: :)

Lennystyle

Unread post by Lennystyle » 2019-03-26, 16:36

I think that there are no useless applications (except for those that exist to deceive the client) for each program there is a user

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2019-03-27, 10:31

01101001b wrote:
Night Wing wrote:I don't use the Search Toolbar [...] relegated it to my Customize Toolbar [...]
That makes two of us :geek: :)
Three !
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-27, 10:34

If it were entirely up to me, searching from the address bar would not be a thing, at all.
But it isn't, so it's an option for all you people who don't mind an ambiguous input field and having the browser make an educated guess if it's an address or a search term.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-27, 12:49

I might add I don't use the Address Bar/Navigation Bar to search for anything either. If I want to search for anything, I just go to Google or DuckDuckGo and use the search field/bar from their sites.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-28, 19:24

Moonchild wrote:If it were entirely up to me, searching from the address bar would not be a thing, at all.
:shock: Whaaaatt?? It's amazing that you of all people have such point of view, indeed. And I mean no disrespect or criticism. However, what's the point of having two things when one is enough and works well?
it's an option for all you people who don't mind an ambiguous input field and having the browser make an educated guess if it's an address or a search term.
I guess it depends how you use it. It's not that ambiguous if you (like me) are used to write the name of the domain and complete it pressing Ctrl+Enter, for instance. Or if you help the browser with one or two meaningful words, such as "wiki operating systems".

All the above set aside, I really thank you for supporting an option that clearly is not your cup of tea :thumbup:

Regards!

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-28, 19:33

Night Wing wrote:If I want to search for anything, I just go to Google or DuckDuckGo and use the search field/bar
Don't know :wtf: Doing it that way, it seems to me like an extra step not really needed BUT no criticism or judgement here, at all. Just my two cents :angel:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-28, 19:38

01101001b wrote:However, what's the point of having two things when one is enough and works well?
What's the point of having 2 pockets for coins in your wallet when one is enough and works well?
What's the point of having a mouse and a keyboard when you could do everything with either/or?

I could go on. So please don't act so surprised - it's not that far outside of anyone's box even if they are completely trained to be using one box for both.
And you already make clear you have to take special precautions when using it. I'd prefer not to.

The point is: they have designated and separate purposes. An address bar is, as the name says, to input or display a web address/URL. A search bar is to launch searches.
The only saving grace combining the two is that you generally use different input formats for either; but things do quickly get muddled if you, for example don't want to go to a particular website but want to, instead, get information about a domain.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-28, 21:12

Moonchild wrote:
01101001b wrote:However, what's the point of having two things when one is enough and works well?
(incendiary answer here)
My bad. Question should read: "However, in my personal use, what's the point of having two things when one is enough and works well?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-28, 21:56

Well flip the pref and use the search bar.. Or keep the pref and drag off the search bar.. Or flip the pref and drag off the search bar. Or keep it all in place and use whatever suites your mood at the moment.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-29, 12:39

01101001b wrote:However, in my personal use, what's the point of having two things when one is enough and works well?
There is no point, because that would be your personal workflow and anything outside of that would by definition be pointless for you.
But in that case there's also no reason to post publicly about it or to question other people's personal workflows.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-29, 12:40

01101001b wrote:
Night Wing wrote:If I want to search for anything, I just go to Google or DuckDuckGo and use the search field/bar
Don't know :wtf: Doing it that way, it seems to me like an extra step not really needed BUT no criticism or judgement here, at all. Just my two cents :angel:
Off-topic:
A little history about my use of Pale Moon.

Since I started using Pale Moon back in the year 2011, I've never used the Search Bar. When I'm going to search for something, I left click on my Google folder (I have 3 items total in this folder) on my Bookmarks Toolbar, left click on Google and when the Google home site page shows up, I put the cursor in the LARGE and LONG Google search field bar. With my poor eyesight, I prefer the LARGE size wise and LONG length wise search field bar at Google's home page site rather the the rather small size wise and short lengthwise (for me) Search Bar in Pale Moon.

This takes me 3 mouse clicks, but time wise, it takes less than 3 seconds of time since I have a fast internet connection (295 mbps download speed) and my old i7 processor speed in this old 2010 model HP tower computer runs at 2.80 with it's 16 GB of memory.

Basically, it just comes down to personal preference in how one wants to use their Pale Moon browser.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2019-03-29, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-29, 16:00

Moonchild wrote:But in that case there's also no reason to post publicly about it
Really?
or to question other people's personal workflows.
to question other people's... Moonchild, I didn't want to come to this but it's true. You are full of yourself. I've read about your diva's attitude and I thought it was exaggeration, but regrettably, it's not. You rush to reply, with no second thoughts, thinking always the worst of people. A tiresome attitude.

Well, I guess you deem it's your right to be ill-tempered and consider yourself quick-witted. By definition (as you love to say) an arsehole.

(not) pleased to meet you :roll:

All the best for you

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-29, 16:17

Pale Moon is designed and maintained to provide the maximum amount of diversity and choice to every walk of user. This is true diversity not the mainstream version which is just conformity being called diversity. There are many MANY aspects about Pale Moon's operation anyone can question and I won't go into them here but the fact is out of the box it can be mutated, manipulated, changed, altered, and configured to do about everything.

It makes NO sense to question personal workflows of others because the browser can accommodate almost any out of the box or with true extensions. THAT is why it is the way it is despite even OUR personal choices and preferences. SURE defaults have to be set to something and people have used defaults as a vector to attack the project and us but that is plainly insane to believe that.

In any event, use and abuse Pale Moon as you see fit for your purposes. It is designed to be capable of just that. ELSE you could use Basilisk. It has far fewer ways out of the box to use it being Australis and all and requires more efforts in extension space to counter them.. OR you can wait until Borealis Navigator which is so bare bones it really only has one out of box way of doing things but has the highest potential for extensiblilty because there is less in the base to get in the way. Unfortunately, this also will cost initial usership and material extension creation because it only has a fraction of the basic customizablity out of the box that Pale Moon has.

Pale Moon being primarily sourced from application code from the Firefox 4-28 era is literally the most feature packed out of the box and has the back catalog of true extensions than any other UXP application because it is perpetually transitional from what was to what is to what will be. It can do it all. It is the middle ground of the spectrum on which Borealis and Basilisk sit.

OF COURSE you can just get offended and switch to the Chromesphere and use Chrome, Opera, Edge or the parody that Modern Mozilla has to offer.

AS FOR YOU PERSONALLY, you can piss off at any time.. I know I don't care. But you could stick around and grow and expand your understanding and achieve your own personal enlightenment along with us. After all, we are the agents of our own salvation. It is your choice.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-29, 16:28

oh, i make a point that has no retort so I'm being called an arsehole with a diva complex...

Well, there's the time-out bench. Consider what you posted.