Preferences; network; clear cache

General discussion and chat (archived)
wldhrs

Preferences; network; clear cache

Unread post by wldhrs » 2019-03-05, 16:08

I have always been able to clear the cache by using this feature in the preferences, but now 16KB always remains, and I am not able to find where, or what, is being cached. I am admittedly obsessive about clearing out everything after every online session, so would appreciate your help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Preferences; network; clear cache

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-06, 01:23

Obsessive clearing of your cached web content by hand is actually rather pointless. All it does is interfere with the browser's optimal internal management of cached items.
Also, clearing of the cache is an asynchronous process (when you click the button it doesn't run a full cleanup before returning control to you) so what you see reflected in the numbers isn't necessarily the exact state of the cache.

If you want the cache cleared after a session, then simply use the feature to clear on shutdown.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

violetevergarden

Re: Preferences; network; clear cache

Unread post by violetevergarden » 2019-05-12, 17:10

Moonchild wrote:
2019-03-06, 01:23
Obsessive clearing of your cached web content by hand is actually rather pointless. All it does is interfere with the browser's optimal internal management of cached items.
Also, clearing of the cache is an asynchronous process (when you click the button it doesn't run a full cleanup before returning control to you) so what you see reflected in the numbers isn't necessarily the exact state of the cache.

If you want the cache cleared after a session, then simply use the feature to clear on shutdown.
i didn't knew! thank foe sharing the information.