Is thunderbird still a good choice to use with Pale Moon?

General discussion and chat (archived)
al_5488

Is thunderbird still a good choice to use with Pale Moon?

Unread post by al_5488 » 2019-03-04, 17:41

Gmail is ending soon so Im looking for a replacement. With recent changes that distance PM from Mozilla, is Thunderbird still a good choice? Is their a better choice that also offers a free email account?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Is thunderbird still a good choice to use with Pale Moon?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-04, 19:33

al_5488 wrote:Gmail is ending soon
Gmail Inbox is ending; gmail is not. :)

For a desktop client, you might try Interlink.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2019-03-05, 02:11

al_5488 wrote:is Thunderbird still a good choice
I still find it good for now, but may move to Interlink.
Is their a better choice that also offers a free email account?
Rather than a free account, have you considered getting your own domain name and a shared hosting account so you can control your own email? It's not for everyone, but it's fairly cheap, not very technical and avoids the advertising of freemail providers. As well as giving you independence if Gmail does ever shut down (or introduces a new UI that you hate).

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-05, 02:13

Do note: If you have already upgraded to Thunderbird 60.. You have no hope of manually transferring a corruption free profile to Interlink. See every post ever made regarding profiles on the forum for more info.

tl;dr in this event, you done fucked up :(

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2019-03-08, 01:31

Went with thunderbird, works great.

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2019-03-10, 01:10

coffeebreak wrote:
al_5488 wrote:Gmail is ending soon
Gmail Inbox is ending; gmail is not. :)

For a desktop client, you might try Interlink.
Why would you suggest a client that has VERY limited support over the official Thunderbird client?
Other than the obvious...

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-10, 04:18

Rich3w wrote:
coffeebreak wrote:For a desktop client, you might try Interlink.
Why would you suggest a client that has VERY limited support over [...]?
In order you might be aware of additional options, maybe? Choice is a great thing. You like it, you use it. If you don't, you won't. No need to issue an implicit criticism just because Thunderbird "suits" you (in my case, it does not). Regards!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-10, 04:28

Rich3w wrote:Why would you suggest a client that has VERY limited support over the official Thunderbird client?
"Limited support", well then why would anyone suggest Pale Moon or Basilisk which has VERY limited support over the official Firefox client?

It isn't like I spent 3 months developing Interlink Mail & News and continue that development.. Dumbass.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-10, 09:22

Posting this thread on a palemoon forum was dead in the water before it even started and as we know the interlink developer is a participant here so its hardly any wonder if thunderbird gets the thumbs down.Did we really expect an unbiased thread here.?
Best wishes.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-10, 10:55

Except that I didn't suggest Interlink to this person, moron. That was someone else. I merely reminded of the global profile issue across applications and generations. THEN responded to the false claim that Interlink is not well supported.

You're only gonna end up banned eventually for something, Moonraker. I suggest you cease your anti-Tobinist activities and other such dumbassery immediately.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-10, 11:38

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Except that I didn't suggest Interlink to this person, moron. That was someone else. I merely reminded of the global profile issue across applications and generations. THEN responded to the false claim that Interlink is not well supported.

You're only gonna end up banned eventually for something, Moonraker. I suggest you cease your anti-Tobinist activities and other such dumbassery immediately.
Judging by your attitude which i see has not improved one iota and even you were banned for it i see no reason to continue any further discussion on the matter.The facts speak for themselves.its the person who portays the product and your doing yourself a grave disservice with this insulting and rude manner.
Best of luck to you because you sorely need it.
best wishes.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2019-03-13, 00:23

[quote="THEN responded to the false claim that Interlink is not well supported.[/quote]

Where exactly does someone get support? The web site is a mess, unfinished and without any clear structure linking to places. IRC for help... ohh come on.

Support means getting help when someone has an issue. Where is it?

I may as well add, as Moonraker illuded too, calling people Dumbass and Moron rather than professionally trying to correct them if you believe they are wrong isn't the smartest of moves.
Although I suspect most on these forums realise you have an issue with social graces.
I suggest when you post anything, you re-read it and if you spot anything that could be taken as an insult, you rephrase the post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-13, 05:31

I provide support for basic questions via IRC and for more complex issues, the github issue tracker.

Just like thousands of other open source projects.

The portion of the website for Interlink is actually complete. It is everything else that needs finishing. Nice try though.

Dunno, if you noticed but I spent three months str8 creating Interlink and then finished Phoebus 2.0 working on it through christmas day and New Years up until it was released.

Before Interlink, I helped create the Take 2 Unified XUL Platform and the initial port of the Pale Moon as well as Tycho Add-ons Manager among various smaller tasks and a lot of research all interspersed with the Phoebus 2.0 rewrite work..

So what have you accomplished in the past year or so, hmm?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-13, 05:42

Off-topic:
Okay, everyone take a step back and take a deep breath, calm down, then realize the following:
  • This is the Pale Moon product forum. While other topics can be discussed that are related, they are off-topic and YMMV as regards to how much of an answer you'll get.
  • Tobin asked specifically to keep Interlink support requests off of this forum and to use the discussion and support channels he indicated for his product: primarily IRC, and if there are bugs then use the issue tracker to report them on Github.
  • Calling people dumbasses and morons isn't the smartest thing to do, but we're not going to strictly police your use of language on this forum. Behave like responsible adults and keep both your use of course language and your moral outrage about it in check.
I hate having to police people for not behaving on the forum. It's so unnecessary, and although I appreciate people reporting posts to try and help, I do not appreciate pointing fingers about perceived bias and/or favoritism (you know who you are) making it a dungheap of drama right off the bat. If something upsets you, you have 2 choices: you can ignore it and move on and read something in a topic you like better, or take offense. Please just pick option number 1 from now on, when you can.

Oh and a bit of free advice: if you don't want to be called a dumbass, don't act like one.
Moderation note: Moving this topic to the correct board, and please behave better. Closing reports, requests for improvement issued. Stay on-topic.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2019-03-15, 22:10

I'm pretty sure I posted in the right place.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-15, 22:29

al_5488 wrote:I'm pretty sure I posted in the right place.
The support board for the Pale Moon browser is not the correct place to ask about mail clients.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-03-16, 16:06

Going back to OP's initiating question, I don't see much of a TB relationship with Pale Moon, except if I click on a link in TB, it opens in Pale Moon.
Since Fossamail (official release) was gone I switched back to Thunderbird, now frozen to 52.9 on Win7. Um yea, it's quite good, still, but starts remarkably slower for me. I checked Interlink, which starts fast and fine, but as I need Lightning I rather updated my old Fossamail 3.8.2.0 to the unofficial build 3.9.4a1(?) maybe using this as main client for a while.
And no, you don't get a free email account with any of these :-)