28.4.0 x64 Windows and Plex

General discussion and chat (archived)
CraigA

28.4.0 x64 Windows and Plex

Unread post by CraigA » 2019-02-24, 08:34

I'm always impressed with Palemoon and am loyal because it is the only browser which supports the older style Sync with my older style cloud server, which continues to work flawlessly.

When I see PM release notes like:
  • Switched to the new ffmpeg decode API to avoid dropping of frames.
  • Fixed a buffering issue in the WebP decoder that caused intermittent browser crashes.
I get all excited to try video, this time Plex (and Emby). And I'm happy to report it is watchable at nearly full 1080p frame rates, even on 4K and 1080p monitors. Previous versions of Palemoon I would say weren't really watchable. Trying the same movie using Firefox color depth seemed more lacking than Palemoon, but frame rate was higher making the presentation smooth. Impressive PM video performance improvement over earlier versions!

Interestingly I also tried the same movie playback under PM Linux. Performance appeared similar to Windows. Under Linux I almost always use PM. Windows PM performance improvements have me using PM Windows more frequently lately. Windows=Surfacebook i7 processor 16GB RAM, Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 AMD 8120 processor 16GB RAM

Generally Palemoon seems quicker with newer releases.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: 28.4.0 x64 Windows and Plex

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-24, 13:45

But Pale Moon is just old and insecure Firefox.. So obviously none of this is true!!!!!1111oneone

CraigA

Unread post by CraigA » 2019-02-24, 17:18

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:But Pale Moon is just old and insecure Firefox.. So obviously none of this is true!!!!!1111oneone
And the troll appears!

A lot of work has gone into making PM work correctly, so your reference to old is irrelevant. As a designer of hardware and software myself the rest of your statement is hogwash, not worthy of a response, yet here we are.

I appreciate a product (PM) which works correctly. As I understand it, video performance is partially why Firefox changed its architecture. The other was to chase the "software store" paradigm which doesn't serve my needs. Firefox broke Sync when it made 1.5 changes. Sync 1.1 satisfies my requirements much better than 1.5 does. Shiny and brightly colored isn't better, it's what we give children and imbeciles to keep them quiet.

Your statement holds as much water as the 50 year old guy who thinks he has to chase 20 year old women. Grow up.

I like Pale Moon, and all the toil which has gone into Pale Moon is paying off which is what my comments recognize.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-02-24, 17:26

CraigA wrote:And the troll appears!
Off-topic:
He's using the tag, which is not to be taken seriously. ;)
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

CraigA

Unread post by CraigA » 2019-02-24, 17:54

As someone who doesn't frequent these forums (I'm usually busy designing things), the "sarcasm" tag isn't obvious and doesn't improve or make palatable what was said. If the statement requires a "sarcasm tag" it probably shouldn't be said especially when disparaging the forum it occupies and its participants.

As "sarcasm" I can let it go.

I still maintain my original stance which is I like Pale Moon as a product. It works well and is continually improving performance, faster than I would have anticipated. Meaning the developers are doing an incredible job.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-24, 18:15

Well, let's see.. June 21st 2014 my birthday and official first contribution to the project.. Since then I created the Add-ons Site including funding the server, The developer wiki (not that that has turned out nearly as well), forked ABP to Adblock Latitude and ABPrime did the inital ports of Pale Moon to Tycho (27) and UXP (28), Wrote all new software for the Add-ons Site, twice. And countless other things..

Generally working for nearly five years close to every day for 12-16 hours on those days on Pale Moon, services to support it or other related things even after I tried to quit because people got triggered by me two years ago.

So ye maybe I am a little bit fond of Pale Moon my self but one can never be sure. One thing is though, you need to calm down dude.

CraigA

Unread post by CraigA » 2019-02-24, 18:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:One thing is though, you need to calm down dude.
:D Probably true. Lots of stress and life changes happening on this end (real, not imagined). So much for introductions... And thank you for all your efforts!

And I'm working on it (calming down)... things are improving, and I do like PM and appreciate your efforts.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-25, 01:02

as the 50 year old guy who thinks he has to chase 20 year old women.
Man, you just summed up my boss to a tee.
For that matter, half the worlds male population. :mrgreen: