Add on to change Youtubes Resolution?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Add on to change Youtubes Resolution?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-18, 02:21

Does anyone here have a working add on that actually will force You tube to play in
certain res like say, 480p? I have a decent bandwidth but I only have so many gigs I
can use a month. On top of that, You tube keeps changing the res on me if something
gets clogged. Would rather buffer than have it change my res on the fly. :think:

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Add on to change Youtubes Resolution?

Unread post by adisib » 2019-02-18, 06:14

I made my own solution for this. One place you can find it is here if you are interested: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23661-youtube-hd

It requires a userscript extension such as greasemonkey. You can set what resolution you want to use by editing the script in the area marked "settings" (along with a couple of closely related options such as setting the size of the video box); if you want to change what resolution you want to set on a regular basis this might not be ideal but I can try to work out a solution if the current way is too inconvenient.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-18, 15:04

The YouTube+ 1.9.6 userscript also still works (resolution + lots of other features). It is available here, scroll down to the Userscript section links.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-19, 02:12

adisib wrote:I made my own solution for this. One place you can find it is here if you are interested: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23661-youtube-hd

It requires a userscript extension such as greasemonkey. You can set what resolution you want to use by editing the script in the area marked "settings" (along with a couple of closely related options such as setting the size of the video box); if you want to change what resolution you want to set on a regular basis this might not be ideal but I can try to work out a solution if the current way is too inconvenient.
Yeeeaaassss. Thank you thank you thank you. :clap: :mrgreen: That is exactly
what I was looking for. Easy to understand script and easy to change settings if need be.
For me, If I want to play something in a bigger res I can simply disable it, or play it in
Pot player. I think the only thing that could make this any better is if there was a
simple way to enable or disable the script with a toggle or something, but other than that,
this is perfect for me.

The reason I don't play high res in You Tube is because I can't enable Vsync in W7 without
enabling the Aero theme, and I hate the Areo theme in W7. So to bypass this, I use a add on
called "Potplayer Youtube Shortcut 1.6.3" so I can watch high res video's in Pot Player and it
allows me to switch to full screen Vsync thus killing the weird video tearing I get in regular vids. ;)

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2019-02-19, 02:28

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
adisib wrote:I made my own solution for this. One place you can find it is here if you are interested: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23661-youtube-hd

Yeeeaaassss. Thank you thank you thank you. :clap: :mrgreen: That is exactly
what I was looking for. Easy to understand script and easy to change settings if need be.
For me, If I want to play something in a bigger res I can simply disable it, or play it in
Pot player. I think the only thing that could make this any better is if there was a
simple way to enable or disable the script with a toggle or something, but other than that,
this is perfect for me.

The reason I don't play high res in You Tube is because I can't enable Vsync in W7 without
enabling the Aero theme, and I hate the Areo theme in W7. So to bypass this, I use a add on
called "Potplayer Youtube Shortcut 1.6.3" so I can watch high res video's in Pot Player and it
allows me to switch to full screen Vsync thus killing the weird video tearing I get in regular vids. ;)
You can have both classic looks and a GPU accelerated environment with Classic AE.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2019-02-19, 03:40

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I think the only thing that could make this any better is if there was a
simple way to enable or disable the script with a toggle or something
I have it set up so that the greasemonkey menu icon is placed on the menu bar. The greasemonkey menu can be used to toggle currently running scripts on and off on the fly. I have it on the menu bar, as the menu bar can be toggled on and off easily by pressing the "Alt" key on the keyboard, allowing me to have it easily show up with a single key press whenever I want yet have it be be hidden by default. As can be seen in this attachment showing with and without the toggle:
gmexample.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-19, 03:56

mrnhmath wrote:You can have both classic looks and a GPU accelerated environment with Classic AE.
Off-topic:
The only problem with that is that you still cannot (as far as I can tell) change the background
colors in windows explorer to a darker color, and that is why I don't use Areo. The white backgrounds
just kill my eyes and M$ in their infinite wisdom thought everybody just loved white backgrounds soooo much
that they would simply remove the ability to change that color if you use Areo. :roll:
I have my backgrounds set to a shade of grey like this.
Screenshot - 2_18_2019 , 8_55_07 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-19, 04:02

adisib wrote:I have it set up so that the greasemonkey menu icon is placed on the menu bar. The greasemonkey menu can be used to toggle currently running scripts on and off on the fly. I have it on the menu bar, as the menu bar can be toggled on and off easily by pressing the "Alt" key on the keyboard, allowing me to have it easily show up with a single key press whenever I want yet have it be be hidden by default. As can be seen in this attachment showing with and without the toggle:
gmexample.png
For some reason it does not show the Youtube HD on my GreaseMonkey list.
Screenshot - 2_18_2019 , 8_57_22 PM.png
Yet, it is in my User Script List. :think:
Screenshot - 2_18_2019 , 8_57_48 PM.png

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2019-02-19, 04:28

Thehandyman1957 wrote: For some reason it does not show the Youtube HD on my GreaseMonkey list.
Are you viewing it while on the Youtube website? Scripts will only show up there if they are currently being applied, so it wont show up if your currently selected tab isn't Youtube.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-02-20, 00:51

adisib wrote: Are you viewing it while on the Youtube website? Scripts will only show up there if they are currently being applied, so it wont show up if your currently selected tab isn't Youtube.
Well, that was it. Thank you for you help. ;)