Avast Anti-virus New Version 8

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Avast Anti-virus New Version 8

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-02-28, 22:22

I just updated, on my wife's computer, Avast Anti-virus to version 8 (just out today). I'm curious, for those who use Avast, what are your thoughts on this new version? One thing I don't like already is the new "look" of it. Looks like they are trying to copy the way Windows 8 looks.

Also, they have added a few useless things (IMHO) like a program updater, which by the way doesn't detect Pale Moon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Avast Anti-virus New Version 8

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-02-28, 23:36

Today was the first day I saw the new Avast 8 where I was helping out at the local computer shop a half mile from my home. It does look like it's trying to emulate Windows 8's Start page in the home button with those tiles. I don't like the look since I'm not a Windows 8 fan to begin with and those tiles don't cut it for me. :thumbdown:

Right now I'm on my Linux Mint 14 desktop pc with no anti-virus installed, but later on tonight, I'll be on my other two Windows 7 desktop computers. I have "automatic update" checked for Avast Free in the Windows computers, but I intend not to upgrade to the newest version. I'll be staying with Avast 7 for the time being.

I think this latest update to Avast 8 has more to do with Windows 8 in my opinion. Some of the newest "features" like the plugin updates are something I'll never use.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-03-01, 00:02

I updated earlier today, yeah the new look takes a bit of getting used to but as long as it does its job it really doesn't matter to me. :) With any program of that type they keep trying to persuade you to update to the paid version - maybe when they recognize Pale Moon I will consider it.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-03-01, 00:33

On my two Windows 7 computers, with Avast Free and Comodo Firewall Free working in conjunction with one another, I have no need or want for a paid version of Avast.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-01, 22:27

I just noticed today that most of the new things added to version 8 are disabled unless you buy the pro or premier version.

I'm sticking with version 7 until it's no longer supported (which I hope is a very long time from now).

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-03-01, 22:34

I noticed the same thing this morning. It doesn't look like there is really much of a change for the free version.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-03-02, 02:00

One previous update bricked support for Windows XP 64 bits, so I'll wait until the collective beta unit test end to test it before upgrade to version 8. Also I never need the "New" features, I only need basic virus scan and no more. If Clam Antivirus had a competent client (for home users) I would use that instead.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-03-25, 23:50

One thing I notice about version 8. When you click on the Scan button to go to the scan page, it automatically starts a quick scan. That is very annoying when a quick scan is not what you want.

Does Avast 8 do this for anyone else? It does this on both my wife's computer, and on mine while I had it on (went back to version 7 on my computer; I hope Avast does a better job on version 9).

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-03-26, 03:53

With version 8 now on both of my two computers, when I click on the Scan button to go to the scan page, it "doesn't" do a quick scan. You might have a "gremlin" working in the background. ;)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-03-26, 04:34

From the main Avast 'home' screen, click the Scan tile/icon Fisher Price thing and a quick scan starts - at least it does for me. Took (another) look around the various settings but I see no way to disable this behaviour.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-03-26, 06:39

I did bite the bullet and installed 8. Just be warned to install just the shield of files, process and activity. All the new toys looks like a tamagochi which send messages each time for trivial things (Java is not safe, please update or disable it!!! Geeee... I didn't know that).

Hannibal living

Unread post by Hannibal living » 2013-04-04, 21:01

I have used Avast 8 from the start and like it. Of course the starting page looks like Windows 8 and AVG in the new version, but by not installing the program updater (I recommend Filehippo Updater and Secunia PSI instead) or other modules you do not wish to use, you can avoid problems/annoying things and use the newest version.
I installed only 5 of the guarding modules and I also ignored the program updater.