Facebook choppy scroll and lots of RAM?

General discussion and chat (archived)
SGvagon

Facebook choppy scroll and lots of RAM?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-11-08, 17:03

Hello,

I have Lenovo Y50-70 Touch with i7 4710HQ and GTX860M 4GB , 8GB RAM and 500GB SSD WD Blue. But when I open Facebook page and try scroll down, scroll is very laggy/choppy and my notebook fans spinning very fast. But only when I have open Facebook. Then my browser is hard to use (little bit lagy, slow tab switching, etc. ) .
I have clean W7 PRO x64bit installation and clean Palemoon 28.1.0 x32bit.
I think there is some bad optimization between FB and browser (lots of HTML5 content and javascripts) . btw. I had Lenovo Y700 before, but I returned it, because Facebook always broke all the browser with black screen, here is my topic viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20597 .
Next year I will buy 16GB RAM, it will help fix this “issue“ ? Thank you in advance.

I don't post this topic to Bug reports, because I think, that I have “only“ 8 GB RAM and have this problem on Facebook.

Btw. sometimes Facebook works flawlessly, but after while is choppy again.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-11-08, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

SGvagon

Re: Facebook choppy scroll and lots of RAM?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-11-08, 20:54

I did little fix with disabling autoplay videos (in FB account settings) .

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-08, 22:04

The problem is Facebook itself - it's piece of shit :(
No matter what I do, it's just laggy. It's significantly better on PM27 btw. But no matter what kind of hardware you throw at it, it will always perform horribly.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-09, 00:12

At times for me no matter the hardware even on Google Chrome for which Facebook is all but completely designed and catered to it can run like crap so there is way less hope of it running well on a divergent fork of mozilla community code.

Here is a conspiracy theory:

They make the site run like shit deliberately to make the drone users more likely just to use the aaaaaaaaapps instead where it has direct access to your gps/cell location and contact list and other data it can't normally or more easily obtained running in a web browser.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-09, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-09, 01:15

You can try one of the Facebook annoyances filters in your favourite ad-blocker, which might make it a bit smoother. Don't expect miracles though - as mentioned, FB is a mess.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-09, 09:08

BTW, you can use the mobile version on desktop too:

https://m.facebook.com/

It's a bit strange, but it's surely lighter on resources.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-11-09, 17:44

I maybe know where is the problem. I have 4 cores CPU (i7 4710HQ) and Palemoon looks much slower than 2 cores CPU (i5 4210H) . So, maybe Palemoon not using all 4 cores (8 threads) ?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-09, 18:54

SGvagon wrote:I maybe know where is the problem. I have 4 cores CPU (i7 4710HQ) and Palemoon looks much slower than 2 cores CPU (i5 4210H) . So, maybe Palemoon not using all 4 cores (8 threads) ?
I highly doubt that Pale Moon would not be using more cores/threads if they were available and the browser needed them. I did notice that your i5 does have a higher base frequency (2.9 GHz) than the i7 (2.5 GHz), so perhaps that is why it seems faster on the i5.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-11-09, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-09, 21:58

There shouldn't be any notable difference between the two processors. If there is, then something else is going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-10, 13:59

back2themoon wrote:You can try one of the Facebook annoyances filters in your favourite ad-blocker, which might make it a bit smoother. Don't expect miracles though - as mentioned, FB is a mess.
I use all those things and FB is still crawling :D
I can't imagine how slow it would be with all the ads :shock:

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-11-10, 14:07

Isengrim wrote:
SGvagon wrote:I maybe know where is the problem. I have 4 cores CPU (i7 4710HQ) and Palemoon looks much slower than 2 cores CPU (i5 4210H) . So, maybe Palemoon not using all 4 cores (8 threads) ?
I highly doubt that Pale Moon would not be using more cores/threads if they were available and the browser needed them. I did notice that your i5 does have a higher base frequency (2.9 GHz) than the i7 (2.5 GHz), so perhaps that is why it seems faster on the i5.
Yes, maybe this is the biggest problem. Second problem what I was fixed now was Intel video drivers, because Lenovo has replaced 64bit with 32bit drivers. So, I installed “32bit driver“ and now I have official Lenovo 64bit Intel video driver. Facebook is now smoothly than before.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-11-10, 15:15

I use Facebok daily and I don't have such a problem.(I3/ 3,6 Ghz / Win 10)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-10, 16:54

SGvagon wrote:Yes, maybe this is the biggest problem. Second problem what I was fixed now was Intel video drivers, because Lenovo has replaced 64bit with 32bit drivers. So, I installed “32bit driver“ and now I have official Lenovo 64bit Intel video driver. Facebook is now smoothly than before.
Ah, good. Yes, updated video drivers help, especially if you're using Pale Moon with hardware acceleration. Glad to hear that's working better for you.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-11-11, 18:04

Isengrim: I actually downgraded it, because Lenovo not updating Intel and Nvidia drivers for 4 years. But it working better I think (better compatibility with laptop hardware) .