Broken inbox folders in Fossamail

General discussion and chat (archived)
Octopuss

Broken inbox folders in Fossamail

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-07, 12:30

I have a subfolder in one of my mails' inbox, and yesterday I noticed that 1) there were suddenly two of them and 2) both were empty.
When I looked at the disk, the relevant files were there and far from empty - few hundreds of kBs. I don't understand the file structure though - one file is with an extension and one without.
Apparently there is some corruption somewhere (but the files are readable), but that's way beyond what I am able to troubleshoot.
Anyone can help me out?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Broken inbox folders in Fossamail

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-07, 15:49

Not sure what happened to your folders, but FossaMail is no longer developed so don't expect support for it. Suggestion: download the new Interlink client and start a new, clean profile. I'd avoid trying to transfer accounts and folders. Only export/import the Address Book. If it's an IMAP account, don't open FossaMail again (or block its internet access via firewall before you do) and try to re-download everything with Interlink.

Pre-release Feedback Thread is here.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-07, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-07, 15:55

Off-topic:
back2themoon wrote:If it's an IMAP account, don't open FossaMail again (or block its internet access via firewall before you do) and try to re-download everything with Interlink.
What is the reason behind this recomendation?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-07, 16:00

yami_ wrote:What is the reason behind this recomendation?
If it's a corrupt profile, perhaps re-connecting every time might recreate the issue. If things work with a new client/new profile, this would be a way to avoid it. Nothing specific really, this is all speculation.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-07, 16:04

Off-topic:
I see. Thanks for the answer.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-07, 19:13

back2themoon wrote:Not sure what happened to your folders, but FossaMail is no longer developed so don't expect support for it. Suggestion: download the new Interlink client and start a new, clean profile. I'd avoid trying to transfer accounts and folders. Only export/import the Address Book. If it's an IMAP account, don't open FossaMail again (or block its internet access via firewall before you do) and try to re-download everything with Interlink.

Pre-release Feedback Thread is here.
I know, but Fossamail having the same base as Thunderbird, I presumed the basic concepts were pretty much the same, so someone might know.
It's really weird. There wasn't anything terribly important in the folder, but still.

I use POP3.
And not going to switch to the new client while it's early in the development process - I don't feel that adventurous :)
Last edited by Octopuss on 2018-11-07, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 19:36

I could release it as-is today.. I just have lots of stuff I want to clean up and change before that happens. It is Stable Enough(tm).. I and a few others have been using it since the tech preview.

Besides, since it stores it's profile data in it's own appdata you should be able to run both side-by-side to test. Also, it would really help me to get more people running the unstable version because it will make the release version when that comes better and not have a bunch of chemspill releases after the first initial.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-07, 19:45

I know. If people don't use it enough, it can't get stable as soon as it could. I just don't have the energy to, say, passively test things these days.
But running them side by side is doable. I'll think about it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-08, 09:21

What if I made it perpetual beta software? Would you use it then?

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-08, 09:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:What if I made it perpetual beta software? Would you use it then?
Do you mean like Windows 10? :D