Google Plus Shutting Down

General discussion and chat (archived)
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Google Plus Shutting Down

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-09, 01:26

Google is shutting down Google+ for consumers following security lapse

I suspect the "security lapse" is just a pretense for getting rid of a social service that has been ailing for years, and likely was not very cost-effective given its lack of adoption. I'm surprised it took them this long.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google Plus Shutting Down

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-09, 04:52

If you're looking for a different social network as a replacement, there's "MeWe", a relatively new (2016) startup that makes a point of using freedom of speech and full control over privacy the basis to build their platform on. No ads, no data mining, no spyware.
We are uncompromising about trust, respect and integrity

- You own your personal information & content. It is explicitly not ours.
- You will never receive a targeted advertisement or 3rd party content based on what you do or say online. We think that's creepy.
- You see every post in timeline order from your friends, family & groups. We do not manipulate, filter, or change the order of your content or what you see.
- Permissions & privacy are your rights. You control them.
- You control who can access your content.
- You control what, if anything, others can see in member searches.
- Your privacy means we do not share your personal information with anyone.
- Your emojis are for you and your friends. We do not monitor or mine your data.
- Your face is your business. We do not use facial recognition technology.
- You have the right to delete your account and take your content with you at any time.
Here's an invite link from me: https://www.mewe.com/i/wolfbeast
I might be looking into their pro site for businesses if there's a desire for it to promote Pale Moon that way, but time will tell.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-10-09, 08:58

You should never rely on any service that Google provides. Experience has shown that they are ruthless in cutting back or shutting down services that they have encouraged people to use, just as those people start to rely on it or include it in their business model. If it isn't making shed-loads of cash within a period of time then it will be gone regardless of technical efficiency or usefulness to a portion of users. Never be loyal to Google as they give no loyalty in return.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-10-09, 15:54

It was somewhat usable until the Material Design redesign. Good riddance.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2018-10-09, 16:59

Moonchild wrote: there's "MeWe"..
Looks promising, but I'm not convinced that they're making money
by charging ''Secret Chat'' for $.99 cents per month, Custom Emojis at $.99 cents a packet, plus MeWe Pages at $1.99 per month.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-09, 17:31

superA wrote:Looks promising, but I'm not convinced that they're making money
Their FAQ explains how they are making money.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

StalwartUK
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by StalwartUK » 2018-10-12, 13:10

What a failure of a service. Even forcing people to sign up to it just to post YouTube comments wasn't enough to keep it alive.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2018-10-17, 01:37

Morgan Knutson, who worked at Google for years (which includes Google+), talks about his employment at the company.

He has a lot to say and some VERY choice words about Google+
Last edited by Daikun on 2018-10-17, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-18, 07:11

Daikun wrote:Morgan Knutson, who worked at Google for years (which includes Google+), talks about his employment at the company.

He has a lot to say and some VERY choice words about Google+
Interesting read and actually quite in line with what I heard from another ex-employee.