Email client (due to Gmail 2018 f*up)

General discussion and chat (archived)
Olwydd

Email client (due to Gmail 2018 f*up)

Unread post by Olwydd » 2018-10-08, 19:52

Hello,

Google has f'd up my whole email life by introducing some idiotic animations and loading problems with their new fall 2018 edition and can't use the regular view anymore. HTML-only view doesn't have personal/ads/important separated into tabs. I use NoScript and AdBlock on most sites which may make it a bit worse but nothing blocked that should hinder Gmail.

According to (want to kill myself for this) Google this crap is not going to get back to what it used to be. So I either have to change to other email provider or get a client that does what Gmail used to do. So which is a good email client to get? I know Thunderbird is very secure and has a decent interface, but it's a bit heavy on a cheap student price laptop from Asus.

Currently running Windows 10 64-bit.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Email client (due to Gmail 2018 f*up)

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-08, 20:12

Funny you should ask... Tobin recently started working on a sort-of Thunderbird fork called Interlink. Not sure how heavy it is compared to current revs of Thunderbird, but it can't be any worse.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Olwydd

Unread post by Olwydd » 2018-10-08, 20:32

I am interested but not too much into alphas and betas anymore. Thinking maybe Thunderbird is the best one for now but just need to open and close it few times a day. Thanks for the tip tho.

E: Not in a hurry with this but hoping for options from people "who know this stuff". I just happen to be one of those people who doesn't use social media or phone calls. Bills are no longer paper and it's quite difficult to filter through all the crap if it's all in one line. Also probably going to keep editing my messages for eternity.
Last edited by Olwydd on 2018-10-08, 20:58, edited 6 times in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-10-08, 21:11

You could use Moonchild's unpublished Fossamail builds until Tobin's app is out of beta.

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/fossamail/unpublished/

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-10-09, 09:03

Thunderbird is usable on an old core2duo, it is slower than it used to be, that is for sure, I miss the more streamlined tool that it used to be but it is still usable, slower to load and some functions can hang a bit but it is still a decent tool.
Mind you I am on 52.9.1 which still has xul support and does not require all my extensions to be signed as "made for Thunderbird".

If you are a consumer-user you might consider the new Thunderbird that corresponds to the direction that Mozilla is taking it, a simplified child-like interface is proposed for newer versions. See that here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/heres-a-sneak-peek-at-firefoxs-redesigned-gui/

Personally, I will be looking elsewhere - eventually, but Thunderbird 52.9.1 stays - for now.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-10-09, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2018-10-20, 04:00

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Thunderbird is usable on an old core2duo...

Mind you I am on 52.9.1 which still has xul support and does not require all my extensions to be signed as "made for Thunderbird".

If you are a consumer-user you might consider the new Thunderbird that corresponds to the direction that Mozilla is taking it, a simplified child-like interface is proposed for newer versions...

Personally, I will be looking elsewhere - eventually, but Thunderbird 52.9.1 stays - for now.
Hi, not necessary and too insecure to stay with 52.9.1 :!: Me too hesitated long time to update from 52.9.1 to 60.* cause I thought similar to you. But when i heard about the security gaps in 52.9.1 I saved my profile and launched a try with a TB 60.2.1 setup - and Lo... all rumors bout a shriveled babyfied UI and an abolition of XUL turned out to be tattle - in contrast: TB 60.2.1 got a much nicer UI with squared-again tabs e.g. and some new features as an integrated extensions-options-menu. :clap:

At the first start of 60.2.1 I saw a lot of add-ons deactivated but then I changed some settings in the about:config (tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> konfiguration) as below and all my add-ons are working furthermore (after some updates). :D

This new TB 60.2.1 is really great, it's faster than before (Off-topic: and perceived maybe a smidgin bit faster as the fetching but "not actively maintained" FossaMail :oops: ) on my travel-netbook (Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 1 core, 2 threads) and needs less room than before on the screen. I'm very glad about having updated and hope the Thunderbird Community will maintain the tidy UI and also XUL in future versions. :thumbup: :angel:

My changes in about:config :idea:
all values Boolean:

extensions.checkCompatibility.60.2           = false
extensions.strictCompatibility                   = false

extensions.langpacks.signatures.required  = false
xpinstall.signatures.required                     = false

mail.tabs.autoHide                                   = false
mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar                           = true

My add-ons:

Allow HTML Temp                   5.4.2
Classic Password Editor           1.1.2
CompactHeader                      2.1.6
CustomizeMyBird                    2.7
Firesizer                                1.7.1-signed.1-signed
FolderFlags                            1.2.6
IMAP Received Date               1.0
Lightning                               6.2.2.1
Maximize Message Pane         1.2.20b1
MinimizeToTray Reanimated   1.4.4
Password Tags                       2.2.1
QuickPasswords                     3.10
Show All Body Parts                1.3
Signature Switch                    1.7.1
ViewAbout                             2.1.2
Wörterbuch Deutsch (de-DE), Hunspell-unterstützt    20180701

screenshot of my Thunderbird (click to enlarge):
MyTB.jpg

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-20, 10:17

Sartorix wrote:At the first start of 60.2.1 I saw a lot of add-ons deactivated but then I changed some settings in the about:config (tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> konfiguration) as below and all my add-ons are working furthermore (after some updates). :D
Just remember that this is a temporary state of affairs at best. Comm central may be axing XUL and XPCOM at a slower rate than moz central, but at some point in a future release XUL addons will stop working in Thunderbird.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-10-20, 19:38

You could try Tutanota email? They have an Android app and you can log in using your browser. Plus it does not scan your emails/spy on you like Google.

https://tutanota.com/
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-10-20, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2018-10-21, 05:24

Isengrim wrote:
Sartorix wrote:At the first start of 60.2.1 I saw a lot of add-ons deactivated but then I changed some settings in the about:config (tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> konfiguration) as below and all my add-ons are working furthermore (after some updates). :D
Just remember that this is a temporary state of affairs at best....
You are right! That is to say "temporary" = one year! Thunderbird releases follows the Firefox ESR releases (Tb upcoming releases). Firefox ESR 60.9 presumably ends with Firefox 70 release on 2019-10-14 (Fx Release Calendar). Thunderbird 63 will be released sooner or later after.

I tested Tb 63.0b1 with my above-mentioned add-ons. Only 3 of my add-ons remains compatible: "Customize My Bird", "German dictionary (de_DE)" and "ShowAllBodyParts" - these are bootstrap ones and only "...Bootstrapped legacy add-ons continue to work..." according to the Add-ons Guide for Thunderbird 63 and beyond :problem:

:tired: I'm tired of this perpetual tinkering with such a kind of freeware ( ;) only the steady shining Pale Moon, always unerringly striding forward on the right track pleases my heart :D ). With the EOL of Tb 60.* and if then there will be no promising free alternative like "Interlink" or a resurrected "FossaMail" I will change my mind and go to a commercial solution namely MS's "Office 365 Personal". Just 69€/year and lot of features such as Outlook and 1TB cloud storage and ... that's not bad
:coffee:
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2018-10-21, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-10-21, 15:44

There will never be a Thunderbird 63 outside of the beta. The next final Thunderbird version after 60.x will be 68. The releases follow the Firefox ESR schedule.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2018-10-21, 17:02

Cassette wrote:There will never be a Thunderbird 63 outside of the beta. The next final Thunderbird version after 60.x will be 68. The releases follow the Firefox ESR schedule.
That's right. I didn't take a heedful look at the schedule :roll: .
The crucial point is Thunderbird's coming restriction of add-on compatibility to bootstrapped ones or at the worst the complete abandoning of legacy add-ons. At the time Tb 68 will come I need to change either to a working release of some thunderbird-fork as "Interlink" or another one with support for legacy add-ons or to change to what i wrote above :-(
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2018-10-21, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.