Mozilla does it again -- bookmark descriptions are kaput!

General discussion and chat (archived)
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Mozilla does it again -- bookmark descriptions are kaput!

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-17, 09:59

Mozilla plans to remove support for bookmarks descriptions from Firefox. (This is a few weeks old, but only now did I find it.)
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/27/mozil ... criptions/

It's minor feature, but one that I use a lot, such as when I remove the name from a bookmark in the Bookmarks Toolbar, leaving only the favicon. I'll put the name in description. Sometimes I add notes to myself about the bookmark, like why I bookmarked it in the first place, and why I want to read it, that it should be deleted after being read, etc.

It's as if Mozilla is combing its code, trying to find all the little niceties in the browser, and mercilessly ripping them out. :evil:
I guess the bookmark descriptions are customizable, and therefore superfluous and/or bad. Pffffttt. :thumbdown:

So I guess this could be another thing to note about Pale Moon, that it continues to support bookmark descriptions.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mozilla does it again -- bookmark descriptions are kaput!

Unread post by Admin » 2018-09-17, 10:21

You can ask yourself, instead, this: Does Chrome support bookmark descriptions? No? Then there is your answer :)
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2018-09-17, 10:44

Because that's what we need: Complete Chrome compliance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 06:49

tuxman wrote:Because that's what we need: Complete Chrome compliance.
Might as well use Chrome, in that case...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-18, 08:04

I question the broad relevance of threads like this.. Why does anyone care what Mozilla does these days. Almost anything they do has very little impact on us especially when it comes to what happens in mozilla-central where nothing there has anything to do with us.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-18, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-18, 12:46

EDIT. Never mind. Was thinking of something different. I actually delete the descriptions and use that space for password/username hints.
Last edited by Phantom on 2018-09-18, 12:49, edited 4 times in total.

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2018-09-18, 12:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Why does anyone care what Mozilla does these days.
For the same reasons the owner of another manufacturer's vehicle would "care" if they heard that Ford planned to eliminate interval windshield wipers on all THEIR vehicles:

1) Entertainment (Hey, look at those idiots! They're shooting themselves by doing that! Glad I didn't buy a Ford!).

2) Concern (Uh oh...Toyota did that a while back. Now Ford's doing it. Is my manufacturer next?)

3) Opportunity (Wow. That's a really useful feature they're killing off there. I own stock in the brand I drive. Maybe this will help make my brand more popular. Or, maybe there's something even BETTER than interval wipers coming out...like a windshield that doesn't need wipers at all! Hmmm...I wonder if my brand thought of that? That could be a game changer!)
Last edited by JSB2000 on 2018-09-18, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-18, 15:33

No. All these threads amount to when distilled is Mozilla sucks, we don't, hahaha look at the fools over in Mountain View. It is pointless now a days.

Oh and don't forget "FIREFOX IS CHROME FIREFOX IS CHROME CHROME CHROME FIRECHROME". It gets old.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-18, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 16:29

1) Entertainment
2) Concern
3) Opportunity
1) It stopped being entertaining a long time ago. Now it's just sad. -> no value
2) Concern? Why would our community be concerned about a 400 million/year company squandering away their resources when what they do has 0 bearing on us? -> no value
3) There is no opportunity looking at someone stripping themselves bare of features, except carrying on as we already are. -> no value

*click*
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite