The Money Problem

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
mr tribute
Moon lover
Moon lover

The Money Problem

Unread postby mr tribute » Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 23:44

I'm thinking aloud. FOSS is the right way to do software. I think we can all agree on that. How to best fund it? I have suggested GoFundMe campaigns in the past, but that wasn't popular. Now I have another idea. What if forum membership costs $10 per year? You can read the forum for free, but if you want to interact with the community and ask questions you have to pay an annual fee.

What do you guys think? Is this a good or bad funding model?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Money Problem

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 00:19

This will never work. The forum is the chief place for community interaction and support. Asking for a membership fee would make it inaccessible for community discussion and would imply "paid support" for those coming here to get support, with all sorts of entitlement issues associated with such a thing.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby adisib » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 01:06

I don't find it acceptable to take away things that people already had in order to charge them for it.

In addition, restricting usage of the forum diminishes its value as a resource. Not only would people have to pay to use it, they would be getting less usefulness out of it. Funding should be used to improve usefulness rather than resulting in the opposite.

fillerup
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby fillerup » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 03:05

on the plus side, no longer will we see those new accounts with one single post made after a big update, which is full of complaints and a declaration of quitting PM, without the slightest trace of positive sentimentality toward a software they claimed to have used for years :D

Return to “General discussion”