The Money Problem

General discussion and chat (archived)
mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

The Money Problem

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-09-16, 23:44

I'm thinking aloud. FOSS is the right way to do software. I think we can all agree on that. How to best fund it? I have suggested GoFundMe campaigns in the past, but that wasn't popular. Now I have another idea. What if forum membership costs $10 per year? You can read the forum for free, but if you want to interact with the community and ask questions you have to pay an annual fee.

What do you guys think? Is this a good or bad funding model?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Money Problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-17, 00:19

This will never work. The forum is the chief place for community interaction and support. Asking for a membership fee would make it inaccessible for community discussion and would imply "paid support" for those coming here to get support, with all sorts of entitlement issues associated with such a thing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2018-09-17, 01:06

I don't find it acceptable to take away things that people already had in order to charge them for it.

In addition, restricting usage of the forum diminishes its value as a resource. Not only would people have to pay to use it, they would be getting less usefulness out of it. Funding should be used to improve usefulness rather than resulting in the opposite.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-17, 03:05

on the plus side, no longer will we see those new accounts with one single post made after a big update, which is full of complaints and a declaration of quitting PM, without the slightest trace of positive sentimentality toward a software they claimed to have used for years :D