The E.U. has gone insane today

General discussion and chat (archived)
RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

The E.U. has gone insane today

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-09-12, 23:17

Copyright law so draconian, that you could be forced to shutdown the Pale Moon project. :(

https://eff.org

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: The E.U. has gone insane today

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-13, 02:18

Copyright law is one thing while mass, automated surveillance and arbitrary censorship is another.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-13, 02:25

So where were you three months ago when this became lamestream news?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-13, 03:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So where were you three months ago when this became lamestream news?
What happened three months ago?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-13, 14:50

This issue made it into the news tho its been going since 2015 just on the edge of public sight. But three nonths ago this EU plot made top story.

Also, this has little to do with copyright just a means to perform censorship and when fully enacted I will be affected because even though I am in the US all companies who want to do business or have a presence in the Reich must obey and though non-eu users can't be legally held to it they will by policy in terms of service means banning/termination if violated.

That's right, the EU via Big Tech just legislated censorship for all.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-13, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-13, 15:39

I do hope that we get No Deal for 'Brexit' - 3 times we and you pulled France's balls out of the Teutonic fire - now they've joined together to dictate to Europe and the rest of the world.

All this really started on 9/11 - 'democratic' politicians everywhere saw the opening to dictatorship.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-13, 15:45

Hope this gibberish will come not soon for me, and when come shall be stepwise inhibited like always.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-13, 15:59

Fedor2 wrote:Hope this gibberish will come not soon for me, and when come shall be stepwise inhibited like always.
You're an idiot. You have no idea what this will mean in the years and decades to come.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-13, 16:16

We are too different people, for me all that gibberish turned into the nothing, however that is possible implementation in the not soon future, depends what we do and how teaching children now.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-13, 16:24

Giraffe wrote:I do hope that we get No Deal for 'Brexit' - 3 times we and you pulled France's balls out of the Teutonic fire - now they've joined together to dictate to Europe and the rest of the world.

All this really started on 9/11 - 'democratic' politicians everywhere saw the opening to dictatorship.
You are more right than you know. Here I thought I could just ignore it all and continue on with my narrow focus on technology and be fine.. Well I learned that won't happen a few years ago.. Actually, several years ago but I didn't listen to even my self back then.

StalwartUK
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by StalwartUK » 2018-09-14, 00:35

Giraffe wrote:I do hope that we get No Deal for 'Brexit' - 3 times we and you pulled France's balls out of the Teutonic fire - now they've joined together to dictate to Europe and the rest of the world.

The UK would probably come up with something even worse.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-14, 08:04

StalwartUK wrote:

The UK would probably come up with something even worse.
Too true! GCHQ, RIPA, all May come to pass!
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-09-14, 10:09

What's wrong with being able to have copyright over shit I post on the internet so noone can "steal" it and claim as his own?
Because that's how I understand it from the not very descriptive hysterical page.
Last edited by Octopuss on 2018-09-14, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-14, 14:29

Octopuss wrote:What's wrong with being able to have copyright over shit I post on the internet so noone can "steal" it and claim as his own?
Because that's how I understand it from the not very descriptive hysterical page.
That isn't the issue it is only the excuse and means they are using to censor with automated filters and prevent propagation of knowledge. I have zero issues with copyright but what this does in the name of copyright is a horrible thing and it goes far beyond the damned European Reich.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-14, 14:51

Like I explained before when this was first discussed, I think this extremist interpretation of the law gets it all wrong. I've read through the EU directive in some depth and it's quite clear the intention of the law is not at all the way the EFF is interpreting it and "hyping it up".
@MoonchildPM: Title IV chapters 1 and 2
@MoonchildPM: there's nothing there that affects us.
@MoonchildPM: Article 11 is specifically about press republications and that the actual countries should not hinder republication and be transparent
@MoonchildPM: Article 13 is about social media, VoD and other systems that store a "large quantity of copyrighted content"
we don't.
Although by a very long stretch you CAN try to wallpaper it on everything that has user interaction, it's clearly not the intent of the document that promotes transparency and credit in republication. The target here is clearly the mindless copy-pasta site mill that is all hyper-monetized and SEO-pushed that often snows under the original authors.
Off-topic:
Also, Tobin, please don't call it the "Reich". Although Germany would -like- to be the lawmakers, it is not the case and things are discussed and not just mandated in a fascist way.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-09-14, 19:49

This is a new copyright law. Nothing else. You can agree or disagree if we in Europe need a stricter copyright law, but don't make this law a doomsday event.
It is really ridiculous to read U.S citizens screaming about this new law, and even call other posters here idiots, themselves living in a country with extreme mass surveillance both from their uncontrolled different police forces and their totally unscrupulous tech giants, of which one at least has driven copyright up to an astronomical level.
Also, as written earlier in this post, Pale Moon is not only intended for U.S citizens, so it is absolutely not a good idea to write any stupid comparison between Europe and Hitler here, do that on your own local hate sites...

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-17, 05:46

Nice to know Europe is following in communist China's footsteps. Glad I don't live in Europe. I thought GDPR was pretty bad.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-09-17, 19:09

Phantom wrote:Nice to know Europe is following in communist China's footsteps. Glad I don't live in Europe. I thought GDPR was pretty bad.
You're an american I presume?
What the hell do you know about anything related to communism?

I live in Czech republic. Unlike you, we know plenty. And GDPR is really good. For normal person at least. Not so much for companies, but only because of excessive amount of annoying paperwork and regulations, not because it's evil or whatever.

Why do you even comment on this? It insults my intelligence. You should care about your amendments instead of talking shit about Europe, which you seemingly only heard about from TV.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-09-17, 19:42

Breaching copyright seems to be privilege for journalists and Google makes billions from it.

What can we do about that?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-17, 19:50

WilliamK wrote:What can we do about that?
Not use Google? ;)
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-09-17, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story