The E.U. has gone insane today

General discussion and chat (archived)
Phantom

Re: The E.U. has gone insane today

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-18, 12:43

Octopuss wrote:
Phantom wrote:Nice to know Europe is following in communist China's footsteps. Glad I don't live in Europe. I thought GDPR was pretty bad.
You're an american I presume?
What the hell do you know about anything related to communism?

I live in Czech republic. Unlike you, we know plenty. And GDPR is really good. For normal person at least. Not so much for companies, but only because of excessive amount of annoying paperwork and regulations, not because it's evil or whatever.

Why do you even comment on this? It insults my intelligence. You should care about your amendments instead of talking shit about Europe, which you seemingly only heard about from TV.

Rainbows, lollipops, skittles, and unicorn farts. All have the same value as your opinion. :twisted:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-19, 01:46

WilliamK wrote:Breaching copyright seems to be privilege for journalists
I don't understand what you mean here :?:
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-09-19, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-09-19, 08:41

Off-topic:
Oh, that Phantom guy is banned. 114 posts, that must had been a smart troll.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-19, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-19, 08:46

Off-topic:
Octopuss wrote:Oh, that Phantom guy is banned. 114 posts, that must had been a smart troll.
It's easy to rack up posts if you post one-liners. And he's been warned more than sufficiently about his behavior; but if there's no measurable result from the warnings, then enough is enough.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-19, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-19, 08:55

Octopuss wrote: I live in Czech republic. Unlike you, we know plenty.
And I live in your neighborhood (DE). :)

The above applies equally to both, Americans or Europeans and what's worst, it also bears fruits at some extend wherever you live.

The topic reminds me of a saying: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-09-19, 09:46

That's most probably true.
I think the idea of EU is good, but throw tens of thousands of clerks and endless piles of bureaucratic shit in, and you have a problem :/

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-09-21, 20:46

European Reich
Linguistic note: this actually only means European Realm, e.g. in German, Austria = Österreich, France = Frankreich.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-23, 09:32

vingtzwanzig wrote:
European Reich
Linguistic note: this actually only means European Realm, e.g. in German, Austria = Österreich, France = Frankreich.
True, but in the USA, folks often give certain German words a very negative connotation, evoking Nazism and all that conjures up in the mind, rightly or wrongly.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-23, 09:51

gracious1 wrote:
vingtzwanzig wrote:
European Reich
True, but in the USA, folks often give certain German words a very negative connotation, evoking Nazism and all that conjures up in the mind, rightly or wrongly.
Not just that, interjecting a German untranslated term into English changes the context (and in this case the meaning) of the generic term to something much more specific.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-09-23, 13:51

Well I don't know about US usage specifically, but I don't think it would be considered especially strong language in Europe. For example, a respectable mainstream national newspaper article compares Europe to the Fourth Reich here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/the-fourth-reich-is-here---without-a-shot-being-fired/
So I think that wouldn't have been more insulting to the EU than the title of this topic, in that it was critical but not using unacceptable language.
But not everyone places the same meaning on things, to a sometimes unexpected degree!
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/does_finland_need_its_swastikas/9865204
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-23, 17:03

vingtzwanzig wrote:Well I don't know about US usage specifically, but I don't think it would be considered especially strong language in Europe. For example, a respectable mainstream national newspaper article compares Europe to the Fourth Reich here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/the-fourth-reich-is-here---without-a-shot-being-fired/
I don't now the part of the world you live but the term Fourth Reich is an unambiguous allusion to Hitler's Third Reich, with all its implications. Period.
As for the EFF article, it raises legitimate concerns.
Whatever the officially declared intent of the law is, it smells fishy to say the least.
It looks to me as a disguised door opener for arbitrary censorship.
BTW, did GDPR improve user experience or even privacy?
However, we have now browser extensions for this too, namely to deal with those annoying cookie banners. :)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-23, 18:40

gepus wrote:Whatever the officially declared intent of the law is, it smells fishy to say the least.
It looks to me as a disguised door opener for arbitrary censorship.
And show me when something so vaguely defined hasn't been used and abused
to destroy others later in time? :evil: