The E.U. has gone insane today

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
Phantom
Banned user
Banned user

Re: The E.U. has gone insane today

Unread postby Phantom » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 12:43

Octopuss wrote:
Phantom wrote:Nice to know Europe is following in communist China's footsteps. Glad I don't live in Europe. I thought GDPR was pretty bad.

You're an american I presume?
What the hell do you know about anything related to communism?

I live in Czech republic. Unlike you, we know plenty. And GDPR is really good. For normal person at least. Not so much for companies, but only because of excessive amount of annoying paperwork and regulations, not because it's evil or whatever.

Why do you even comment on this? It insults my intelligence. You should care about your amendments instead of talking shit about Europe, which you seemingly only heard about from TV.

Rainbows, lollipops, skittles, and unicorn farts. All have the same value as your opinion. :twisted:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby gracious1 » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 01:46

WilliamK wrote:Breaching copyright seems to be privilege for journalists

I don't understand what you mean here :?:
Last edited by gracious1 on Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Image“We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.” ― Wm. Ewart Gladstone ◊ Int'l Day of Peace 21 Sept. ◊

Octopuss
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Octopuss » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:41

Off-topic:
Oh, that Phantom guy is banned. 114 posts, that must had been a smart troll.
Last edited by Moonchild on Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:46

Off-topic:
Octopuss wrote:Oh, that Phantom guy is banned. 114 posts, that must had been a smart troll.

It's easy to rack up posts if you post one-liners. And he's been warned more than sufficiently about his behavior; but if there's no measurable result from the warnings, then enough is enough.
Last edited by Moonchild on Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

gepus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby gepus » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 08:55

Octopuss wrote:I live in Czech republic. Unlike you, we know plenty.

And I live in your neighborhood (DE). :)

The above applies equally to both, Americans or Europeans and what's worst, it also bears fruits at some extend wherever you live.

The topic reminds me of a saying: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Octopuss
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Octopuss » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 09:46

That's most probably true.
I think the idea of EU is good, but throw tens of thousands of clerks and endless piles of bureaucratic shit in, and you have a problem :/

vingtzwanzig
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread postby vingtzwanzig » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 20:46

European Reich

Linguistic note: this actually only means European Realm, e.g. in German, Austria = Österreich, France = Frankreich.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby gracious1 » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 09:32

vingtzwanzig wrote:
European Reich

Linguistic note: this actually only means European Realm, e.g. in German, Austria = Österreich, France = Frankreich.

True, but in the USA, folks often give certain German words a very negative connotation, evoking Nazism and all that conjures up in the mind, rightly or wrongly.
Image“We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.” ― Wm. Ewart Gladstone ◊ Int'l Day of Peace 21 Sept. ◊

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 09:51

gracious1 wrote:
vingtzwanzig wrote:
European Reich

True, but in the USA, folks often give certain German words a very negative connotation, evoking Nazism and all that conjures up in the mind, rightly or wrongly.

Not just that, interjecting a German untranslated term into English changes the context (and in this case the meaning) of the generic term to something much more specific.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

vingtzwanzig
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread postby vingtzwanzig » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 13:51

Well I don't know about US usage specifically, but I don't think it would be considered especially strong language in Europe. For example, a respectable mainstream national newspaper article compares Europe to the Fourth Reich here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/the-fourth-reich-is-here---without-a-shot-being-fired/
So I think that wouldn't have been more insulting to the EU than the title of this topic, in that it was critical but not using unacceptable language.
But not everyone places the same meaning on things, to a sometimes unexpected degree!
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/does_finland_need_its_swastikas/9865204

gepus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby gepus » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 17:03

vingtzwanzig wrote:Well I don't know about US usage specifically, but I don't think it would be considered especially strong language in Europe. For example, a respectable mainstream national newspaper article compares Europe to the Fourth Reich here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/the-fourth-reich-is-here---without-a-shot-being-fired/

I don't now the part of the world you live but the term Fourth Reich is an unambiguous allusion to Hitler's Third Reich, with all its implications. Period.
As for the EFF article, it raises legitimate concerns.
Whatever the officially declared intent of the law is, it smells fishy to say the least.
It looks to me as a disguised door opener for arbitrary censorship.
BTW, did GDPR improve user experience or even privacy?
However, we have now browser extensions for this too, namely to deal with those annoying cookie banners. :)

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread postby Thehandyman1957 » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 18:40

gepus wrote:Whatever the officially declared intent of the law is, it smells fishy to say the least.
It looks to me as a disguised door opener for arbitrary censorship.

And show me when something so vaguely defined hasn't been used and abused
to destroy others later in time? :evil:
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
completely FOOLPROOF, is underestimating the ingenuity of complete FOOLS! ;) "

Return to “General discussion”