Question about VPN

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
badnick
Lunatic
Lunatic

Question about VPN

Unread postby badnick » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 19:32

I have VPN and I want to run simultaneous with 2 or more open browsers but only PM through VPN. It is that possible?

Isengrim
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Question about VPN

Unread postby Isengrim » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 19:58

It really depends on what VPN software you're using and how you are able to configure it.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

badnick
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby badnick » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 04:43

My VPN is offered by default by my AV provider (Bitdefender) with limited daily traffic and is not much customizable .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 15:58

In general this is not possible on the same machine, unless you do some advanced routing voodoo per-application.
A VPN will sit at the network layer and will make your machine part of the virtual network. This means anything running on it (on your machine's IP) will use the VPN.

If you want to redirect traffic just from Pale Moon, you probably want to be using a proxy, instead -- that can be set per-application.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

MichealHeitz
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread postby MichealHeitz » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 14:54

Moonchild wrote:In general this is not possible on the same machine, unless you do some advanced routing voodoo per-application.
A VPN will sit at the network layer and will make your machine part of the virtual network. This means anything running on it (on your machine's IP) will use the VPN.

If you want to redirect traffic just from Pale Moon, you probably want to be using a proxy, instead -- that can be set per-application.

I agree as I have also tried this and failed miserably

Return to “General discussion”