How do you all keep browsing sessions with hundreds of tabs?

General discussion and chat (archived)
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How do you all keep browsing sessions with hundreds of tabs?

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-31, 10:54

I also dislike many open tabs, but often use them for "read this later" purposes. Unfortunately, browsing usually wins over proper reading so the tab list just keeps growing like watered Gremlins.

Save-To-Read helps but you can imagine how many bookmarks are forgotten in there, waiting.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-08-31, 13:53

2018_08_31_16_51_24_589x164.png
for me, those tabs are there exactly to annoy me. if i'd put anything to bookmark, or any other storate out of my sight, for me it is the same as simply close it and forget that is ever existed.

usually, i keep collecting tabs until i can barely see a part of favicon (i made minimum tab width really small, so no scrolling), and then i'm going thru the list, either reading pages, or closing/moving to panorama. it is like a "short-term bookmarks", except that they're not hidden, so i can't say: "ok, i'll look at it later". ;-)

i don't care if it is "abusing" or not: it works the way i like it, and i used to use tabs like this since my opera 3 days. after all, software is for people, not vice versa. so if browser cannot cope with 150+ tabs without requiring 9e+3 GB of RAM, that browser is unusable for me. that is, almost anything except Pale Moon is unusable these days.

right now, i have 53 tabs in current session. not even close to my usual limit. as you can see, there is some free space at the right of favicons, so it is not a time to clean it up. ;-)

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2018-08-31, 15:01

moonbat wrote:If you can recall even a small part of the title or URL of the page you're looking for, you can type it in the addressbar and it will be picked up from your browser history in addition to bookmarks.
It doesn't work for my use case.

There are either things I know what they were, e.g. I was searching for something, found fifty pages related to that, but only one contained useful info (it happens a lot). If I search in history using same keywords, I'll have to search again through those fifty pages, to find the right one. Or even more older ones, if it's more generic keywords.

Or I don't really remember what it was. I may be reading about something, open several related links and realize that it's too late and I have to go to bed. It's not anything important, if I'd forget about it completely, nothing tragic would happen. So the chances are, if I don't save it, I will forget about it. Or it might be some item on auction site I find interesting at the moment, and want to see how it goes and maybe bid myself later. Again, unless it's something important, I will forget about it.

All this can be solved using bookmarks, but it's that extra work I mentioned, it's simply much easier to just keep those tabs open.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-31, 15:12

I don't like keeping tabs open at all and I usually never have more than 4 or 5 tabs open at one time. Any more than that just starts getting annoying. I also don't use the bookmark toolbar. I set the browser to open to my home page which has a short list of important sites that I access frequently. Mainly though, I use the menu bar (one of the things I can't stand about Chrome is no menu bar) and the Bookmarks section on it for one click access to my bookmarks and to manage them into relevant folders. I prefer to keep the browser uncluttered, simple and close to its default and just generally the less there is going on in terms of tabs, extensions, toolbars (w/exception of menu bar), alterations, etc, the better.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-08-31, 20:50

A couple of other options for offline storage:

Session Manager 0.8.1.7 - allows you to save sessions & recall them later
Tab Set Saver 1.0.1-signed.1-signed - allows to you save groups of tabs to an HTML file for reopening later

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-31, 22:00

So I got to thinking about this, as I really don't use bookmarks much and I don't like having
a bunch of opened tabs. But I do have this add on that I have used for years "Speed Dial 0.9.6.18".

And it has tabbed browsing on it that you can divide up and name as your hearts content.
You can choose the colors and backgrounds and even how many dials you want on a page.
You can label the tabs to whatever you want and the dials can even refresh at a certain
interval so that the dial shows what the page looks like at that moment.
And I use this as my permanent bookmarks, and then my bookmarks are kinda like my
"I might want to look at that again some day" file bin.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
It is funny to see how many different ways people have for a work flow, and how one way
seems so foreign to one person and completely awesome to someone else.

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2018-09-02, 14:40

Thehandyman1957 wrote:It is funny to see how many different ways people have for a work flow, and how one way
seems so foreign to one person and completely awesome to someone else.
I agree. Thankfully we all have options. :)
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-19, 00:27

{denial}I have no tab problems.[/denial}
This is my laptop which is a clone of my desktop profile except a different set of sessions (desktop currently has about 350 tabs open. 206 open in this screenshot.
Yes, my profile is over 10 years old, started on Firefox, migrated to Pale Moon several years ago, and even has a forked version for Basilisk.
Tabs.jpg
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-09-19, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 02:13

kelendral wrote:{denial}I have no tab problems.[/denial}
This is my laptop which is a clone of my desktop profile except a different set of sessions (desktop currently has about 350 tabs open. 206 open in this screenshot.
Yes, my profile is over 10 years old, started on Firefox, migrated to Pale Moon several years ago, and even has a forked version for Basilisk.
Tabs.jpg
what is the tabs counter addon you're using? i have this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-counter/ but it doesn't have stats

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-09-19, 06:02

fillerup wrote:what is the tabs counter addon you're using? i have this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-counter/ but it doesn't have stats
Looks like its this one:
TabCounter – Version 1.0.3.1-signed.1-signed.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-09-19, 06:16

A fork of Tab Counter is available for PM: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-counter/

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 06:46

Frasier wrote:Looks like its this one:
you're right! not a fan though, the counter is bounded to the status bar and aside from the stats it has no customization options at all
mrnhmath wrote:A fork of Tab Counter is available for PM: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-counter/
just released? niiice, thanks for the link.

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2018-09-19, 07:57

List all tabs is very intuitive to use, and it's part of Palemoon.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-19, 08:20

Frasier wrote:
fillerup wrote:what is the tabs counter addon you're using? i have this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-counter/ but it doesn't have stats
Looks like its this one:
Correct, Frasier. Been using it a real long time (obviously).

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-09-19, 10:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:This is my response to these 100+ tab users.. Do you also have 100+ word documents open in Microsoft Word or ...
That's a good point which made me wonder about my habits.

I rarely keep more than 2 (openoffice) documents or spreadsheet open at the same time (in independent windows), and I actually hate the fact that acrobat reader tends to open pdf documents a instances of a single process (and closing all of them with a single control-Q), and whenever I remember I use appropriate switches to open them in a independent windows. I may keep 3-4 pdf documents open at the same time. I do keep more than half-a-dozen files (programs, latex documents, plain ascii files) open in my favourite editor in various desktops (my window manager allows that), and I do keep more or less the same number of xterm's.
Being myself a guy which lives on the command line, that's perhaps because I find easy to open a file by name (maybe with tab-completion).

However I have some 30 tabs open in palemoon (in two windows, since otherwise they'll flow out of the tab bar). I use to restore my browser session, so the commonly used tabs are always there in the same position (even if I may look at one of them once in a week). Maybe that's because typing an URL is longer than typing a filename, or navigating via a tree of bookmarks.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-11-26, 18:22

My record is 150 tabs when doing a ytube (and similar :twisted: ) binge...:)

I find https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/lull-the-tabs/ is very good, it frees the memory used for tabs that have not been used for a set time.

MODS: if you think a topic has been 'not replied to' for a certain time, PLEASE lock it! It will stop you being irritated at a thread being 'woken up'.. :? :? :?
Last edited by illiad on 2018-11-27, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Eleventy_Threeve

Unread post by Eleventy_Threeve » 2018-11-27, 00:15

We tend to average about 500 tabs on our computers as we are busy professionals who need to do a lot of reading. We kinda were shocked at some of the negativity that was expressed earlier.

For us we will be closing them out to zero as we continue PM repairs and then go back to full time work.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-12-02, 04:57

70-130 tabs is totally normal for me. I have problem, that when I saved some pages to bookmarks, I forgot them and I never back to them (for. ex. ebay orders, youtube videos, podcasts, this Palemon forum and topics, items on eshops which I like to buy it, facebook, github pages, ... .. ) . So I keep these tabs and when I open Palemoon I go back to them, because I have them in tabs. It's better to me. Tabs are suspend on browser start up and not eating too much RAM. For unloding tabs I am using BarTab Tycho :) . Here is screenshot of my PM (I have lots of extensions for minimalistic UI and shorter tabs includes Tab counter for too much tabs :D ) :
BTW. yes, I have IE6 skin on my Palemoon :P .
Attachments
Palemoon_tabs.PNG
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-12-02, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.