Pale Moon 28 - Positive Feedback

General discussion and chat (archived)
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Pale Moon 28 - Positive Feedback

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-08-27, 08:21

Good Day Community,

I am seeing quite a few people complaining about Pale Moon 28? I really don't understand why. Yeah, sure, some extensions broke, but that's understandable and fixes are on the way. The upgrade is a big step in a new direction, if I understand the development comments correctly? There might be a few wrinkles here and there, but overall, considering the huge amount of changes, I think the upgrade has been a big success!

Thank You Pale Moon team and community members! This is a great browser and can only become better as development continues.
Keep up the great work! :D

I am creating this thread so people can post their positive experiences they have had with PM28.

Kind Regards,
Fatboy
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-08-27, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon 28 - Positive Feedback

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-27, 10:32

Overall, I'm quite pleased with version 28 in both linux and windows Pale Moon. I've only found one small bug and that is in windows PM. The bug is a spinning circle in the Tab previews on the Windows 7 Taskbar when more than one tab is open. This is not a big deal for me. If I have to have more than one tab open, I just open a new window instead. This is my work around in 28.

With my positive experience with 28, this past Friday I put both the 32 bit windows and 64 bit linux version on my sister-in-law's tower computer, via Teamviewer. She called me and told me 28 is "purring like a kitten" on her two hard drives running Windows 7, which is her default operating system and linux Mint which is her backup operating system, without any problems.

Since she had to replace her windows hard drive because it was starting to have problems with bad blocks, her new PM 28 version started with a "CLEAN PROFILE" on her new windows hard drive. The only thing I had backed up on her external hard drive was her PM bookmarks and I restored them to her Bookmarks Toolbar. I then had to re-configure her PM settings since she doesn't use all of the default settings. Then I went into "about:config" and made two small changes. Once that was complete, I installed the Adblock Latitude and NoSquint extensions.

Once these two extensions were installed, I then installed the Solid colored lightweight themes (personas) from Mozilla and these are Fuzzy Navel, Blue Light 2012 and Dream of Waves. This way, when she wants a change of skin color, she can switch to a different one. Right now, she is using Fuzzy Navel for her skin color.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-08-27, 11:17

When I upgraded, from a user experience point of view everything was exactly the same as the previous version.
If we look at the current trends in software (and web browsers in particular), that's actually one of the best compliments one can give.

I have some pet peeves, but it's nothing worth a developer's time and I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to them.

On the other hand some things did improve significantly at least on my machine (so for what is worth could also be because of a driver update or something...), and that's good.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-27, 12:02

fatboy wrote:Good Day Community,
Thank You Pale Moon team and community members! This is a great browser and can only become better as development continues.
Keep up the great work! :D
I must agree, thanks to all. Overall I have not seen any crashes, excessive cpu or memory usage, or any other problems other than losing a few extension. With the help of folks here I have been able to fix all but one. Fireshot. Maybe that can be fixed in time.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-08-27, 18:04

I have used Pale Moon for Linux v28 for a few hours. I expected disruptive change because of all the negative comments. What I have experienced so far is nothing like that. Despite all the under the hood changes; from a casual user perspective I don't notice much difference from v27. A favicon changed, that's the most disruptive change I have noticed so far...

So thanks to the PM team for another solid release! :clap:

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-08-27, 18:15

It's worth mentioning that the Tycho codebase has matured in almost 2 years in the span of 9 minor releases, so it's understandable that people were used to a matured product. I'm pretty sure they were experiencing similar issues with the first release of PM 27, so I'd advise them to be patient and wait for further maturation of the UXP codebase and, of course, when reporting problems, always provide the requested details.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-27, 18:47

mrnhmath wrote:It's worth mentioning that the Tycho codebase has matured in almost 2 years in the span of 9 minor releases, so it's understandable that people were used to a matured product. I'm pretty sure they were experiencing similar issues with the first release of PM 27, so I'd advise them to be patient and wait for further maturation of the UXP codebase and, of course, when reporting problems, always provide the requested details.
Totally, Tycho was the worst thing since every release of Firefox after 29 when it first came out. There simply are some growing pains and settling in adjustments that need to be made with UXP. Of course, this really is our last codebase where Tycho was supposed to be. There is very little Mozilla Technology left in Mozilla's codebase and we will never do this again. However, it is not the end, it is only the beginning! So stay excited.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-08-27, 20:22

I must really agree with the positive feedback.
I have intermittently v.27 installed and v28 as portable to compare.
I look at a new browser with lots of improvements, but with the well known user interface and all the nice configuration options, exactly what progress is all about.
I do not experience all the problems reported here, and suspect they are related to other circumstances (I always suspect agressive AV's).
And again I experience that Pale Moon is well tested before releasing, which today is just as unusual as improvements from many other software vendors.

So: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-08-27, 22:19

Pale Moon 28 x64-bit works like a charm on my OS (Win7 x64bit)!

Nonetheless, IMHO it would be a good idea if people with no issues would also mention the OS they are running PM on, since some issues seem to occur mostly on 32-bit Windows systems.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-27, 23:28

gepus wrote:Nonetheless, IMHO it would be a good idea if people with no issues would also mention the OS they are running PM on, since some issues seem to occur mostly on 32-bit Windows systems.
My information is already included in my signature.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-08-27, 23:39

Night Wing wrote:My information is already included in my signature.
I did notice (btw, 64-bit OS) but unfortunately you were so far the only one doing so, hence my remark.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-08-28, 05:49

gepus wrote:Pale Moon 28 x64-bit works like a charm on my OS (Win7 x64bit)!

Nonetheless, IMHO it would be a good idea if people with no issues would also mention the OS they are running PM on, since some issues seem to occur mostly on 32-bit Windows systems.
My impression is that speed (or lack therof) problems are mostly on older machines, which would likely be running a 32-bit OS (linux or Windows).. E.g. my 10-year-old Core2 (3G of ram) running 32-bit Gentoo linux did Youtube at 720p with a standard build of PM 27.9.4, and 1080p with a highly-optimized, machine-specific, homebrew build. With PM 28, that dropped down to 480p. With a 32-bit linux-specific tweak, I was able to get back up to 720p.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-08-28, 06:20

There is a lot of code cleanup and performance issues that need solving, so I am assuming that is where the lag is coming from with older machines. Not to mention those newly discovered regressions, which are joy.

But yes, overall, the transition from v27 to v28 was a success for the majority of those who are running newer or more powerful machines. I also believe, and know for a fact, that each update to Pale Moon improves the stability, security, and performance of the browser as time goes on.
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2018-08-28, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2018-08-28, 07:19

As I posted in another thread all the problems I had with PM27 have gone away with PM28. So far working faultlessly with me.

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2018-08-28, 11:58

2 sites have given me trouble. But I tend to overlook the slowness. It has occurred since I started using PM. Shows up in IE and Edge also. I dont sweat the small stuff. All extensions that I use are still here. Otherwise a fine browser. Windows 10 (64bit).

Sites being foxnews and wunderground. Not looking for a solution. Found one myself. Click on the link, go get a cup of coffee. Come back and page is loaded.
Last edited by josephd on 2018-08-28, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-28, 13:02

josephd wrote:Sites being foxnews and wunderground. Not looking for a solution. Found one myself. Click on the link, go get a cup of coffee. Come back and page is loaded.

Off-topic:
Fox News and Wunderground are graphics intensive sites. And Fox New is loaded with lots of poorly written scripts in their advertisements which adds to the slowness. When I visit Fox News, I always have Adblock Latitude enabled for Fox News.

And I refuse to turn off ABL despite the "turn off your adblocker" nag screen. I figure, Fox News can tell it's advertisers to write an ad which doesn't cause page loading problems speed wise. And if their advertisers won't do that, then ABL will stay enabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-28, 19:11

wunderground is a known problem where the slowness is caused by their shim scripting not seeing a mainstream browser UA -exactly- and borking on its fake feature detection.
It's already been reported to them but they are not interested in fixing it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2018-08-29, 18:13

I'm not around these forums much, but I figured I would drop by to say that it's been great here for me too; coming from Debian stretch. :thumbup:
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-08-30, 18:56

I thought I'd go check this: http://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/

Everything green and 10/10

I had no problems upgrading (and considering my list of aged extensions, that was quite a pleasant surprise)

Windows 10 64bit

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2018-08-30, 20:03

One more vote for "PM28 is working perfectly for me".
BTW, both Windows and Linux.
Last edited by nevadacrab on 2018-08-30, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.