General discussion and chat (archived)
josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon 28 - Positive Feedback

Unread post by josephd » 2018-09-04, 14:18

Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:
......Fox New is loaded with lots of poorly written scripts in their advertisements which adds to the slowness.
Off-topic:
Solution for Foxnews that works for me. Click on article I want to read, then click Reader View 2.0.0. Works like a charm. Article loads without the trash.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-04, 14:31

josephd wrote:
Off-topic:
Solution for Foxnews that works for me. Click on article I want to read, then click Reader View 2.0.0. Works like a charm. Article loads without the trash.
Off-topic:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check this extension out.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-09-05, 12:16

The one thing that surprised me most was how quickly v28 was available. I remember reading about the alpha versions being released and Moonchild saying it's going very well and then BOOM! Update available! I literally gasped when I saw an update was available.haha
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-14, 13:31

I just want to say to all involved in Pale Moon, "BRAVO!"

I switched to Pale Moon many years ago and the experience has been positive the whole time. Never once regretted moving from Firefox. That was a clean break.

I tried Basilisk as primary for a brief stint with a forked version of my profile due to a couple of incompatibilities, but had to come back. Pale Moon handles large numbers of tabs (500+) better than any browser ever has which is great for research.

Pale Moon 28 has worked on the small subset of sites I had issue (mostly internal work related stuff).
It is, in a word, fantastic.

Thank you to all involved.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-09-21, 14:28

thx for the 28.1.0 update.
Previous 28.x (Win7-x32) versions were already fixing some minor issues and brought a noticeable boost on average sites, but on 2 or 3 of my regular, very image heavy sites, with only 2-4 + x tabs open, PM got slowdowns up to CPU cores (4) going mad, 1.3+ GB RAM usage (of 3.75) and finally ultra-slow or frozen GUI after some 30 mins + x.
Cleaning cache and unloading tabs seemed to change nothing to stop cores working wild on "something" and free some memory, a lighter new profile with memory tweaking add-ons and NoScript replaced by uBO didn't change much - I know this is site-specific for the main part, because 'blogroll' and scripting shit, and has been almost the same on PM 27.9.4. and also FF 52 ESR, but hit me quicker and harder, sometimes with a crash, on previous PM 28 versions.
With PM 28.1.0 the overload jumps on these few sites have been remarkably reduced and delayed in comparison to 27.9.4. Also the black lines have been removed from lightweight themes, so I'm back on Pale Moon 28 and glad enough to stay with it. THX devs. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-21, 15:30

Just a little update from me.

Since I dual boot using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce and also using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.1.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7 (Home Premium, Ultimate); after visiting all of my bookmarks and surfing the internet, Pale Moon is "running like a champ".
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-21, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Mako109

Unread post by Mako109 » 2018-09-21, 17:16

28.1.0 fixed all the issues I had with 28. I couldn't be happier right now.

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2018-09-22, 04:45

Been running Version 28.1 on 32 and 64 Debian based systems since yesterday and no problems at all so far.
Just noticed one small problem with Clean Links Extension but was easily fixed via hack mention in Clean
Link Thread. Used cloned profile from 27.9.4 ...not a problem.

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-09-24, 11:15

I want to join this topic. There was issues with 28th release, but 28.1 works flawless even on my second PC with Win7 x86 & 2Gb RAM. All problematic (on 27th version) sites operates without any problems. I wrote it already somewhere on this forum, but Pale Moon is almost only island of the stability in our fast "updating" world. I love it "oldish" appearance like my loved FF28! Please go same way in the future too. :thumbup:

Kaliri

Unread post by Kaliri » 2018-09-25, 03:10

I haven't been using Pale Moon for a year or two or more, but I just installed 28.1 a couple of days ago (laptop, borrowed from friend; Windows 7, 64-bit). I haven't really noticed too many problems, other than maybe some occasional slight lagging. But, this laptop tends towards slowness in general (my beloved SeaMonkey browser, for example, which works fine everywhere else, tends to freeze and hang on this laptop, as do some other programs at times). So I'm not sure that Pale Moon is really to blame for the lag.

So far so good -- even YouTube works fine (I had issues with it on some past Pale Moon versions), and I like the YouTubeLazy extension. I'm enjoying using Pale Moon again. Well done, Pale Moon team. :thumbup:

broomsticks

Unread post by broomsticks » 2018-10-01, 03:59

Pale Moon: Release notes
v28.1.0 (2018-09-20)

Our primary goal has been to lift Pale Moon up to the new platform and as such most changes are "under the hood" and won't be seen in casual use (aside from more things "just working").
There is a site that I go to once a month to handle a transaction.
The primary page has a couple of forms with about a dozen data fields.
Several of those fields are supposed to be filled automatically with information from the users account.
That never did work.

For the fields that require user input, the cursor and focus is supposed to advance to the next input field once the required number of characters have been entered.
That also never did work.

After clicking the Submit button, the page returned with an error message stating that not all of the required fields had been entered, even though they had been.

I tried safe mode, accepting all cookies unconditionally and all three User Agent Modes but Nothing worked.
I had to use a different browser for that task. :eh:

After upgrading to version 28.1, everything on that page works as intended.
No problems - it all went smoothly the first time.

So, yes, it "just works".
I was very glad to see that. :)

cosmo666

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2018-10-05, 21:11

I'm am gravitating more and more to Pale Moon for these reasons:

-- Focus seems to be on making existing features work, i.e. stable work environment.
-- Seems to have solved some compatibility problems. For example, logging into my bank website now works. I know it wasn't PM's fault that it didn't work before, because I know the banks and some others use some esoteric security/login features (looked it up, can't remember the details), but thanks for making it work anyway.
-- Handoff from link in Thunderbird body-text to browser wasn't working before, now it works.
-- It appears PM is bending over backwards to maintain backward compatibility with FFox extensions when possible. I don't need it to be 100% compatible, but do appreciate best-effort to not arbitrarily close out older .xpi files.

If I need to use web-extensions for some reason, I can setup a second-string browser for that. Most important to have a primary goto browser which is reliable, with reasonable extension support. Pale Moon seems to be doing a great job supporting that user profile.

tbfh777

Unread post by tbfh777 » 2018-10-06, 18:35

I just happened to notice the orange dots in the add-ons manager, referencing firefox compatibility mode. I installed those add-ons from .xpi files I had scattered around, thinking: "I'll try it, and if it works, great!". Now I realize the developers of Pale Moon anticipated this, and proactively created hooks to facilitate compatibility. It may seem trivial, but I watched for many years the way the Mozilla team pursued a "do it our [new] way, or hit the highway" attitude in bringing Firefox & Thunderbird along.

Can't emphasize enough my appreciation for the maturity of the vision driving Pale Moon, not to mention the hard work the developers are doing to realize it. And I think their example is proving contagious, judging from the content of the bug-reports and extra effort members of the community put in to their posts. thanks to all.

dyscrat

Unread post by dyscrat » 2018-10-29, 15:48

Under bookmarks there is a Restore Point for recent previous days.
Saved me a lot of work. Great feature. Must have been half asleep yesterday night.
:thumbup:

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-10-31, 00:47

For the first time in a long time, if not the second time, I was able to click the ReCAPTCHA 2 box and get a checkmark right away! :thumbup: